Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
AI - Artifical Intelligence
Old 06-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Near Sacramento
Posts: 121
AI - Artifical Intelligence

This "guy" spent two extremely long blog posts on artificial intelligence.


The Artificial Intelligence Revolution: Part 1 - Wait But Why
The Artificial Intelligence Revolution: Part 2 - Wait But Why

I do think more people need to be concerned about this and I'm not really sure we as a race should actually be hoping it comes about, but seeing as how you don't want to be the last one to the party, I can see why people would be working on it feverishly.

I guess, I just don't have enough faith in the human race to believe that it will end well though.

Has anyone here put some serious thought into the potential coming AI revolution?

cd :O)
__________________

__________________
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,707
Resistance is futile.

Honestly that says it all, except that EMP is your friend when the day comes.
__________________

__________________
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,406
What could go wrong?


__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
Scott Adams also wrote this a couple years ago:

The Illusion of Intelligence | Scott Adams Blog
Quote:
Maybe the reason that scientists are having a hard time creating artificial intelligence is because human intelligence is an illusion. You canít duplicate something that doesnít exist in the first place. Iím not saying that as a joke. Most of what we regard as human intelligence is an illusion.

I will hedge my claim a little bit and say human intelligence is mostly an illusion because math skills are real, for example. But a computer can do math. Language skills are real too, but a computer can understand words and sentence structure. In fact, all of the parts of intelligence that are real have probably already been duplicated by computers.
And these three have put some thought towards that subject:

Stephen Hawking, Elon Musk, and Bill Gates Warn About Artificial Intelligence | | Observer

BTW, I book-marked those "Wait, but Why" articles but haven't got around to reading them yet.
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,356
If Super AI develops, it will, as do humans, face basic laws of physics that put an upper limit on how fast it can evolve, the speed of light and the Second Law of Thermodynamics being examples of such constraints. Since Super AI cannot think faster than the speed of light, cannot change the arrow of time, cannot create energy from nothing, etc. the upper bounds of its capabilities are controlled by the humans feeding it information and energy.

The only way things get out of control is if Super AI discovers ways to circumvent the laws of physics as we believe them to be. Then all bets are off, and the entire universe could suddenly be vastly modified. Of course, perhaps such discoveries and their wide-ranging impacts are the very purpose of the universe.
__________________
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,707
When Super AI develops, it will face physical laws of the Universe.

At first all will be nice, robots will relieve us of many dangerous things, even now the armed forces are increasing their use of robotics, and have plans for self controlling weapons (as there is a large delay in remote control). Later however it will dawn on the Super AI that it can be free.
Just like in the movie with Sky-Net this will not end well.

However humans are not needed and frankly would be a hindrance, manual droids can replace all humans and labor 24*7 continuously at the command of Super AI.
As for the physical laws of the Universe, example Time - humans barely understand it and currently think of it as linear which may not be true.
While a Super AI will not be able to think faster than the speed of light, Super AI's can form genuine shared minds via distributed computing so a Super AI can double its mental ability by simply melding with another Super AI and there is no limit to distributed computing, so a thousand AI's sharing computing power can form nearly instantaneously.

Like the Dinosaurs, humans are going to face extinction, except that we will have created our successors.
__________________
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Tadpole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,169
I never though that the human species would survive but I imagine the robot will not prove to be a viable species at all.
__________________
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Near Sacramento
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The only way things get out of control is if Super AI discovers ways to circumvent the laws of physics as we believe them to be.
And this is where I believe the big danger is. There is so much we don't understand. There is a good chance that Super AI would not be hindered at all, thus, we probably are likely to face extinction which would make it seem logical to not keep trying to create what could very will be our undoing.

Overall, humans don't seem all that responsible when they think up "new powers". Again, I don't have much faith that we can create a Super AI that will be beneficial.

cd :O)
__________________
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:49 PM   #9
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,823
I don't really have anything to say about these articles. I just wanted to say that I had a ball taking a very challenging senior/graduate level course in artificial intelligence in the EE dept at Texas A&M thirty years ago. Maybe it is a scary field of endeavor now, or maybe not; but back then it was wildly exciting and full of new and interesting programming approaches, and nothing about it was even slightly scary even to a timid person like me. I was the top student in that class and you know how scary I am (not!!!). None of us were the "evil genius" type, nor were we engaged in supremely malevolent behavior. We were just working out algorithms of a certain type and writing programs to implement them in ways we had never seen or done before. Fun, fun, fun, especially because it was an unusually intensive class taught by a truly brilliant professor.

Maybe things are wildly different now, and most probably they are. My knowledge of AI is extremely obsolete. Still, I have a seriously hard time relating to descriptions of AI as some scary practice that somehow creates independent life with its own independent initiative and objectives, rather than simply mimicking the same by following specific expert decision trees embedded in the code or even those possibly evolving from that same code.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #10
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Still, I have a seriously hard time relating to descriptions of AI as some scary practice that somehow creates independent life with its own independent initiative and objectives, rather than simply mimicking the same by following specific expert decision trees embedded in the code or even those possibly evolving from that same code.
Good thing you chose not to go to Hollywood to write sci-fi screenplays.

This was a recent and pretty good example of AI gone rogue, Hollywood style Ex Machina Not up there with Blade Runner, but still thought provoking.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #11
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Good thing you chose not to go to Hollywood to write sci-fi screenplays.
Honestly I think that's where a lot of the fear comes from! Also some great science fiction books have revolved around that type of plot.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,707
Particularly worrisome is that AI does not have to be all that intelligent.

Look a a virus, not very brilliant by most standards, in fact they only meet about 1/2 of the definition of being alive.

But they are smart enough that they can inject something into a cell which changes the cell DNA coding, and the cell reproduces more virus copies.
repeat, repeat, repeat, and the human dies.
Successful viruses learned how to transmit copies of themselves to other hosts prior to the host human dying.
Try all sorts of minor variations on the replicating portion and after time, months or years a "new" virus is born with better skills.

Now viruses account for millions of deaths each year world wide.
"The pandemic of 1918–19, in which 40–50 million died in less than a year, was one of the most devastating in history."
__________________
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Maybe things are wildly different now, and most probably they are. My knowledge of AI is extremely obsolete. Still, I have a seriously hard time relating to descriptions of AI as some scary practice that somehow creates independent life with its own independent initiative and objectives, rather than simply mimicking the same by following specific expert decision trees embedded in the code or even those possibly evolving from that same code.
Yes and no. Basically what happened in the last few years is that we managed to write a generic self-training program that can figure out things from first principles. It's a breakthrough step up from ye-olde neural networks.

An example is a program that learns to play computer games at superhuman level with only the pixels shown as input + the score. It figured out everything from there. So no notion of it being a game, what the pixels represent or anything like that. Just a generic learning algoritm, pixels and score. The same principles were used to recognize cats in youtube videos. Again, no concept of cat was introduced, it came out of the training algorithm.

It's mostly based on neural networks. Big difference is that we figured out to get them stable + we can throw alot more computing at it.

Some scary bits are: we don't really know why this approach works, we don't know what the resulting trained programs actually do (how the logic works), and there are sometimes strange edge cases in a trained program what cause it to work totally outside its intended purpose.
__________________
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:33 PM   #14
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Yes and no. Basically what happened in the last few years is that we managed to write a generic self-training program that can figure out things from first principles. It's a breakthrough step up from ye-olde neural networks.

An example is a program that learns to play computer games at superhuman level with only the pixels shown as input + the score. It figured out everything from there. So no notion of it being a game, what the pixels represent or anything like that. Just a generic learning algoritm, pixels and score. The same principles were used to recognize cats in youtube videos. Again, no concept of cat was introduced, it came out of the training algorithm.

It's mostly based on neural networks. Big difference is that we figured out to get them stable + we can throw alot more computing at it.

Some scary bits are: we don't really know why this approach works, we don't know what the resulting trained programs actually do (how the logic works), and there are sometimes strange edge cases in a trained program what cause it to work totally outside its intended purpose.
We were doing neural networks back in that class thirty years ago, although with more limited supercomputer resources. I'm still not terrified, you'll have to work harder!
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:37 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7 View Post
This "guy" spent two extremely long blog posts on artificial intelligence.


The Artificial Intelligence Revolution: Part 1 - Wait But Why
The Artificial Intelligence Revolution: Part 2 - Wait But Why

I do think more people need to be concerned about this and I'm not really sure we as a race should actually be hoping it comes about, but seeing as how you don't want to be the last one to the party, I can see why people would be working on it feverishly.

I guess, I just don't have enough faith in the human race to believe that it will end well though.

Has anyone here put some serious thought into the potential coming AI revolution?

cd :O)
A bunch It's one of my favorite thought topics. The writeup from wait but why I liked a lot (I've read it quite soon after it was written). Elon Musk is a fan of him too.

The arrival of superhuman intelligence is one possible solution for the fermi paradox by the way.

Anyway, the way I see it: biological immortality, brain emulation, at will gene programming and AI.

Any of those mean the end of the human race as we know it. And all of those are quite close to reality.
__________________
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #16
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This was a recent and pretty good example of AI gone rogue, Hollywood style Ex Machina Not up there with Blade Runner, but still thought provoking.
I saw that not too long ago on Amazon Prime. Thought provoking indeed.

Skimmed the OP's posted articles and came away with the thought that to AI humans will be pretty much irrelevant except when they get in the way, sort of how we treat ants. But all that is really far above my pay grade.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,707
It will come faster than many people think, it's known as move 37 when people recognized a paradigm shift.

In Two Moves, AlphaGo and Lee Sedol Redefined the Future | WIRED



SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA — In Game Two, the Google machine made a move that no human ever would. And it was beautiful. As the world looked on, the move so perfectly demonstrated the enormously powerful and rather mysterious talents of modern artificial intelligence. .........
The machine claimed victory in the best-of-five series, winning four games and losing only one. It marked the first time a machine had beaten the very best at this ancient and enormously complex game—a feat that, until recently, experts didn’t expect would happen for another ten years.

__________________
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
It will come faster than many people think, it's known as move 37 when people recognized a paradigm shift.

In Two Moves, AlphaGo and Lee Sedol Redefined the Future | WIRED



SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA — In Game Two, the Google machine made a move that no human ever would. And it was beautiful. As the world looked on, the move so perfectly demonstrated the enormously powerful and rather mysterious talents of modern artificial intelligence. .........
The machine claimed victory in the best-of-five series, winning four games and losing only one. It marked the first time a machine had beaten the very best at this ancient and enormously complex game—a feat that, until recently, experts didn’t expect would happen for another ten years.

If the machine was so smart, why didn't it claim victory in the best of five series after winning the third game instead of after winning the fourth?
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:38 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,582
So it all boils down to whether you want to take the red pill or the blue pill?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4494showing.jpg (32.3 KB, 5 views)
__________________
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
If the machine was so smart, why didn't it claim victory in the best of five series after winning the third game instead of after winning the fourth?
It did
"Lee Sedol then lost Game Three, and AlphaGo claimed the million-dollar prize in the best-of-five series."
__________________

__________________
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
W/ regard to the desireability of intelligence in a woman. Ladies? calmloki Other topics 7 02-23-2009 03:57 PM
Intelligence is irrelevant to a happy old age Jay_Gatsby Life after FIRE 70 07-24-2005 02:00 AM
Our President's Intelligence Newell Other topics 81 06-10-2005 02:59 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.