Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Air Fryer
Old 01-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Air Fryer

I love french fries and have read that using an air fryer really reduces the calories by eliminating the oil.
Does anyone have an air fryer? What brands are good, and what features should I look for?
Oh, and how do they do with fries??
__________________

SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
Moderator
Jerry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,150
Why would an air fryer be any different than an oven? Maybe a convection oven, but isn't hot air hot air no matter how it's generated?

DW has done fries in the oven and they turn out pretty well. They're not as good as frying, but they can get crispy.
__________________

__________________
Every day when I open my eyes now it feels like a Saturday - David Gray
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Why would an air fryer be any different than an oven? Maybe a convection oven, but isn't hot air hot air no matter how it's generated?

DW has done fries in the oven and they turn out pretty well. They're not as good as frying, but they can get crispy.

I hate using the oven, for some reason it smokes and sets off the smoke alarms. Which is why I guess I only use it to store cat food

I tried fries last night and they only came out so so. Heard air fryers do a good job of cooking them and other assorted food items so thought I would give one a try.

Also, I would think an air fryer would use considerable less energy than the stove would. Hate to heat the thing up (beyond the smoking factor) just to do a dozen french fries.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
Moderator
Jerry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
I hate using the oven, for some reason it smokes and sets off the smoke alarms. Which is why I guess I only use it to store cat food

I tried fries last night and they only came out so so. Heard air fryers do a good job of cooking them and other assorted food items so thought I would give one a try.
Maybe you should try taking the cat food out?
__________________
Every day when I open my eyes now it feels like a Saturday - David Gray
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Maybe you should try taking the cat food out?
Ha ha!! I actually did remember to take it out, plus all the pots and pans that are stored in there.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 4,558
Do you have a gas oven?
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:31 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Do you have a gas oven?
No, electric. I never use it...generally the cook top, microwave or Insta Pot.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:35 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 4,558
My fiance had a CO alarm go off from the gas oven once. I dunno.

Nothing should be coming out of an electric except heat or "old crusties" cooking off.

Maybe some of that cat food spilled in there?
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:43 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,562
I don't know what the difference is between an air fryer and table top convection oven. We use our table top convection oven exclusively these days instead of the wall ovens. It uses less energy than the wall ovens, is easy to clean and we can watch everything cook since it is a big glass bowl. For pizzas I bought a tabletop pizza maker since they do not fit in the convection oven. The really cool thing about the convection oven is we don't have to defrost anything. We can cook meat without defrosting, even like frozen solid Cornish hens from the freezer, and they turn out fine. I never tried home made fries, but our convection oven makes good frozen french fries and is very good for roasted potatoes and onions with olive oil.
__________________
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:52 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
cooch96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 783
This reminds me of home. DM only uses the dishwasher to store the good China. I tried to use it once when visiting a few years ago and she went off.

It was that sort of crazy that drove me to leave at 17 and join the army.
__________________
Why be normal when you can be yourself?
cooch96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:59 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Austin
Posts: 350
DW got one for two or three years. It's made by Phillips, which is the original manufacturer.

Very easy to use and I would say very healthy. She made sweet potato fry and kids love it. Chicken wings are another favorite.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
My fiance had a CO alarm go off from the gas oven once. I dunno.

Nothing should be coming out of an electric except heat or "old crusties" cooking off.

Maybe some of that cat food spilled in there?
Could be it needs a good cleaning,although it looks okay, or maybe some spilled cat food.
But I also think an air fryer is going to use a lot less energy, which another reason I'm thinking about one.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:29 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I don't know what the difference is between an air fryer and table top convection oven. We use our table top convection oven exclusively these days instead of the wall ovens. It uses less energy than the wall ovens, is easy to clean and we can watch everything cook since it is a big glass bowl. For pizzas I bought a tabletop pizza maker since they do not fit in the convection oven. The really cool thing about the convection oven is we don't have to defrost anything. We can cook meat without defrosting, even like frozen solid Cornish hens from the freezer, and they turn out fine. I never tried home made fries, but our convection oven makes good frozen french fries and is very good for roasted potatoes and onions with olive oil.
Is that a NuWave type of thing? I have one of those but seldom use it since I switched over to an Instant Pot. I was never crazy about it anyway, but if it's the same thing maybe I'll try fries in it. I would be using frozen fries, I'm a lazy cook.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:30 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountry View Post
DW got one for two or three years. It's made by Phillips, which is the original manufacturer.

Very easy to use and I would say very healthy. She made sweet potato fry and kids love it. Chicken wings are another favorite.
Phillips is one of the one's I've been looking at, but there are so many it is confusing! And I'm wondering if the more expensive ones are any better than the cheapie ones. And if there are any functions, buttons, etc to be looking for.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:19 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
Is that a NuWave type of thing? I have one of those but seldom use it since I switched over to an Instant Pot. I was never crazy about it anyway, but if it's the same thing maybe I'll try fries in it. I would be using frozen fries, I'm a lazy cook.
Yes, but I have an Oyama brand.
__________________
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:01 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lakewood90712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
Ha ha!! I actually did remember to take it out, plus all the pots and pans that are stored in there.
Heating sealed canned food in an oven could cause an explosion if/when the can ruptures from steam generated within . Would be quite a bang, and a bad day in the kitchen.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:39 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Heating sealed canned food in an oven could cause an explosion if/when the can ruptures from steam generated within . Would be quite a bang, and a bad day in the kitchen.
Good thing I only store dry cat food in there, in an open plastic container.
No cans.
If something did happen, at least it would be a good excuse to finally remodel the kitchen
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:37 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.
folivier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 805
But if you'll be heating unopened cans just put them in boiling water.
__________________
You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Philliefan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,097
My mother bought an air fryer but doesn’t use it (don’t ask). While visiting, I cooked some chicken wings and fries for my dad. They were crispier than an oven would’ve made them.

The air fryer itself is bulky and takes up a lot of counter space or cabinet space. For that reason, I wouldn’t want one. We rarely eat the kinds of food that would be enhanced by cooking with an air fryer so I don’t want to take up space in my kitchen.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 855
I got an air fryer at Christmas (sale, it was less than $50 at BJs) so I figured worth the try.

* Mine was small, so if you do get one be sure it is sufficient for your needs as you won't use it if you have to cook 2 to 3 batches to feed the family.

* It heats up in 3 minutes, thats a HUGE deal vs. waiting for the oven to pre-heat.

* Actually cooking time about the same but it shuts off automatically so I don't have to worry about overcooking if I get distracted.

* In order to get the crispy coloring, you will have to use some type of oil.. however, if your spritzing it, it will have WAY less oil than obviously frying it..and if you don't spritz it, it won't have the coloring. We just use healthier oil sprays which work fine.

* I'd say the fries are crisper than those in the oven and I was very satisfied with the experience.
* It made decent "fried" chicken and the meat was still moist.
* I like flash fried veggies, so thats my next big adventure.
* They suggest you "shake" the basket midway through to ensure everything is cooked/browned evenly. Similar to "flipping" things 1/2 way through the oven baking process except takes 1/10th the time, you just click to the button to release the basket, slide it out, shake shake, insert it (it stops and restarts automatically and a lot less likely you accidentally burn yourself leaning over a hot oven.

I'm happy with the purchase, I never had the patience to wait 45 minutes for fries (between pre-heating and cooking) so cutting that down to 20-25 is much more likely to happen...plus for some reason its motivated me to make my own fries.

Between that and the instapot, I'm looking forward to not having to turn on the oven at all this summer in the hot muggy months.
__________________

karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Fryer suggestions? Lisa99 Life after FIRE 14 04-08-2017 10:01 PM
Electric turkey fryer islander Other topics 2 11-20-2013 12:24 PM
What type of oil to use in our deep fryer? panacea Other topics 10 12-26-2011 08:16 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×