Air Fryer

https://www.target.com/p/dash-900w-...r/-/A-53177589#lnk=sametab&preselect=52532650

This is the air fryer we have. We use it way more than I expected.

Not only is the food crisp, it is FAST.

Batch of tater tots. 10 minutes. 8 fish sticks. 7 minutes.

We make a lot of hand rolled egg rolls and won tons with various healthy fillings. These cook in under 5 minutes.

Anything that you can cook in a regular oven or toaster oven you can cook way faster in an air fryer. The biggest obstacle is the size. Ours is smaller, but it is so fast that my wife can prep her meal while mine is cooking.

We have talked about getting rid of our toaster oven but will keep it because making a pizza in the toaster oven is much better than firing up the full sized oven.

I agree with shaking the basket part way through. I kind of bought it as a semi-joke, but it is super handy and it now resides on the counter in place of another appliance.

https://www.target.com/p/dash-900w-...r/-/A-53177589#lnk=sametab&preselect=52532650

We make a lot of hand rolled egg rolls and won tons with various healthy fillings. These cook in under 5 minutes.

Anything that you can cook in a regular oven or toaster oven you can cook way faster in an air fryer. The biggest obstacle is the size. Ours is smaller, but it is so fast that my wife can prep her meal while mine is cooking.

We have talked about getting rid of our toaster oven but will keep it because making a pizza in the toaster oven is much better than firing up the full sized oven.

I agree with shaking the basket part way through. I kind of bought it as a semi-joke, but it is super handy and it now resides on the counter in place of another appliance.

+1 on the good review above... we use ours all the time... bacon, fish, fries.. it's a Phillips and works great..... DW won't part with it or her Instant Pot... she calls her crock pot 'old fashioned' .

Can batter-dipped items be used in an air fryer?

Yes. Cleanup might be a little more involved.

The one that we have has an insert that puts a gap between the bottom of the holding container. It has holes for air flow. Taking the insert out makes it easier to clean.

We run water in ours and let it soak for a bit. Then cleanup is pretty easy.

Thanks for the good info! I'll try to get by a Target today and take a look at it.

I just ordered one of these from QVC. It’s their own Cook’s Essentials brand on sale with free shipping as yesterday’s “Today’s Special Value”. I got a 3.4 qt unit so it’s not too big. I’ve learned many new techniques in my Instant Pot so I’m looking forward to learning new things with the air fryer.

I’ve noticed that I use my gas oven less frequently than I used to mostly because of how long it takes to preheat, and how it heats up the kitchen in the summer.

Last edited:
I just ordered one of these from QVC. It’s their own Cook’s Essentials brand on sale with free shipping as yesterday’s “Today’s Special Value”. I got a 3.4 qt unit so it’s not too big. I’ve learned many new techniques in my Instant Pot so I’m looking forward to learning new things with the air fryer.

I saw that QVC show because DW was watching it. Now I know lots more than I did on Saturday about air fryers. They are convection ovens in a easy to use structure. They look useful if you don't like to use the big oven or have a poorly functioning oven. Kids after school or while the parents are gone from the house could use these safely, it appears.

Phillips is one of the one's I've been looking at, but there are so many it is confusing! And I'm wondering if the more expensive ones are any better than the cheapie ones. And if there are any functions, buttons, etc to be looking for.

I was going to get the Phillips - the large one - since it had the best reviews and feedback from people. But, I went in a different direction.

I brought the Breville Smart Oven Air. It is a toaster oven that has an air fryer function. I like it since it isn't an entire separate device and I can use the Breville for lots of things other than the air fryer function.

Also after talking to someone who had a Phillips and replaced it with the Breville I felt the Breville was superior. The basket in the Phillips and most traditional fryer is deep and small around. The basket in the Breville is shallow and long (like a pan). The advantage is you can put stuff in there in a single layer. You can also buy additional baskets if you want to cook a larger portion.

WE use it a lot. I use it a lot to cook veggies - either frozen ones or fresh ones. I spritz with a little oil and then air fry. They come out very crispy and great tasting. Brussels sprouts are really good. We also bought baked Sweet Potato Fries and cooked them in the air fryer. They were great, much better than when baked in the oven.

I've also used to cook fish and it came out really well.

That said, if you have a super air convection function that is about the same as an air fryer.

I started out with a Kalorik air fryer that worked fine, but was way too small for our use (just myself and DW.) Then I tried a "Big Boss" model that had a large glass bowl and halogen lamp for heat, but it was awkward to use and did not heat well.

What I ended up with was a Nuwave model I picked up at BJ's - it's larger than the Kalorik, just right for us. It is great for crispy vegetables and meats with just a spritz of olive oil, and is also very good at reheating. In fact, we used it tonight to reheat a lamb roast. Unlike a regular oven, it doesn't dry out the food as quickly.

I bought one similar to this last week at Target. I think it's a little smaller, but it's look identical although it's a different brand. It was on sale for $39.00.
So far I made fries in it which came out okay, not nearly as good as those cooked in oil of course, but an adequate substitute. I didn't use any oil at all, next time I'll try spraying a little on. Also made a burger at the same time which came out just fine. It's nice not to heat up the whole oven just for a couple of small items.

https://www.target.com/p/dash-900w-...r/-/A-53177589?preselect=52532650#lnk=sametab

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom