Am I old yet?

I called GEICO today regarding my car insurance policy. At the end of the conversation the guy said, "Thank you for being a GEICO customer for 41 years." If there were any doubts about my being old (and there aren't), 41 years with GEICO, actually made me feel old.

the guy said, "Thank you for being a GEICO customer for 41 years."

I hear you!

Still, there can be advantages. My insurance dividend from USAA last year would normally have been about $200. But because I'm in their category of 40+ year members (like a number of others here), it was nearly $600. Us old farts get a much larger distribution for no other reason than we're loyal customers.

I hear you!

Still, there can be advantages. My insurance dividend from USAA last year would normally have been about $200. But because I'm in their category of 40+ year members (like a number of others here), it was nearly $600. Us old farts get a much larger distribution for no other reason than we're loyal customers.
+1

My USAA dividend plus my "Geezer Distribution" have averaged $1,200/yr over the past three years. IOW, my homeowners policy is essentially free. :)

Oh, well, GEICO did thank me. Shouldn't "thanks" be enough of a reward?
(Something tells me I'm not clear on the concept).

I thought I was old, but just found out differently because of what I just read.

You know you are old when:

* your children look middle-aged
* your knees buckle, but your belt won't
* you know all the answers, but nobody asks the questions
* you sink your teeth into a steak, and they stay there
* you are anti-everything: anti-fat, anti-smoke, anti-noise, anti-inflammatory.

Last edited:
Age 67 soon to be 68. I can no longer run due to multiple shoulder replacements but I walk 20 -25 miles a week. In addition I fast walk 2 -3 half marathons a year.
I am the same weight today as I was in high school due to the walking and losing part of my stomach and small intestine during cancer surgery seven years ago.

My DW asks why I am so OCD about my walking and I reply it validates my continuing good health and hopefully helps slow down the effects of aging.

This morning I cut the grass and am getting ready to walk 4 miles.

Do I think I'm old. No, but certainly know my physical limitations. To use an old quote I can't define old but I'll know it when I see it. I've got a long way to go.

I love those geezer distributions from USAA and am not to proud to ask stores and restaurants if they offer a senior discount.

Today I got my driver's license renewal from the DMV along with a document titled "Mature Driver Safety Tips." Now I feel old....and I'm only turning 58 in two months.

Today I got my driver's license renewal from the DMV along with a document titled "Mature Driver Safety Tips." Now I feel old....and I'm only turning 58 in two months.

Well, let me tell you.... when I was 19, they SHOULD have sent me a document called "Immature Driver Safety Tips". :2funny: :ROFLMAO: :D
First tip: Don't drive while under the influence!
Second tip: Don't try to impress any member of the opposite sex while driving!
Third tip: Read the first two tips again!

Last edited:
Some funny comments here. I think age is a mental thing, but there are certainly physical effects. I am only 50, and can still do most of the things I did in 20's. It is just the soreness is twice as much recovery is twice as long. In 20's recovery was a few beers that night and good night's sleep. Now it is the same few beers and Ibuprofen for the next day's soreness :facepalm:

I enjoy working on old cars a hobby. I notice that the garage floor is getting lower and harder as the years progress. Laying on a cold cement floor is much harder on the body than it used to be. So now being older and smarter, i use a piece of cardboard or a piece of old carpet to insulate. Helps the joints tremendously. ;)

There seems to be a very common viewpoint that keeping busy and active is a big part of not having a self-sense of being old. Stop doing things and you become old.

Some funny comments here. I think age is a mental thing, but there are certainly physical effects. I am only 50, and can still do most of the things I did in 20's. It is just the soreness is twice as much recovery is twice as long. In 20's recovery was a few beers that night and good night's sleep. Now it is the same few beers and Ibuprofen for the next day's soreness :facepalm:

I enjoy working on old cars a hobby. I notice that the garage floor is getting lower and harder as the years progress. Laying on a cold cement floor is much harder on the body than it used to be. So now being older and smarter, i use a piece of cardboard or a piece of old carpet to insulate. Helps the joints tremendously. ;)

There seems to be a very common viewpoint that keeping busy and active is a big part of not having a self-sense of being old. Stop doing things and you become old.

Now that you are getting older and wiser, some alternatives are:

1. install a lift,

2. carpet part of the garage floor.

:D

Some people are "less old" than others no matter what their age. My new hero: Harriette Thompson

91-Year-Old Finishes San Diego Marathon | Runner's World & Running Times

.....Thompson said she doesn’t think age should be a barrier for beginning exercise.

“You’re never too old to do it,” she said. “I started my first marathon at 76.”

....Thompson said she wasn’t able to train as much as she would have liked because she recently finished up radiation treatment to treat squamous cell carcinoma on her legs, but she surprised herself....

Thompson says she’s looking forward to taking a shower and getting a good night’s rest. Monday, she will celebrate her 67th wedding anniversary with her husband, Sydnor, 90, back in North Carolina.

Some people are "less old" than others no matter what their age. My new hero: Harriette Thompson

91-Year-Old Finishes San Diego Marathon | Runner's World & Running Times

Excerpt:

On Sunday morning, Harriette Thompson, the 91-year-old marathoner, finished the Rock ’n’ Roll San Diego Marathon in 7:07:42, the fastest time on record by a woman age 90 or older.

A 91-year old running for 7 hours? My relatives in their 90s cannot stay awake for that long! Many did not even stay alive. So, what's my chance?

Excerpt:
On Sunday morning, Harriette Thompson, the 91-year-old marathoner, finished the Rock ’n’ Roll San Diego Marathon in 7:07:42, the fastest time on record by a woman age 90 or older.
So, what's my chance?

Start running...;)

Oh, I can run now, but when I get to 90, assuming I will even last that long, it is most likely that the walker will be in the way.

Oh, I can run now, but when I get to 90, assuming I will even last that long, it is most likely that the walker will be in the way.

Nothing wrong with that, IMO. I would be ECSTATIC if I could finish a marathon, at any speed, even using a walker at age 90+! What an accomplishment that would be. I'd thumb my nose at all those other 90-year-olds with walkers who gave up and were napping by the side of the road. :D

This imaginary race of 90-year-olds that I am envisioning sounds terrific! I wonder if we boomers will be engaging in races like this.

As driverless cars will be common at that point, surely they will have a powered smart walker that helps me [-]cheat[/-] finish the race even if I doze off en route.

PS. When I went to the nursing home to visit my late father-in-law, the only race I saw there was people on wheelchairs getting to the dining room.

Last edited:
I started to feel "old" when I no longer got "carded" buying beer/wine. :(

Then it went downhill as the "kids" working at stores and such started calling me "Sir".

I don't feel old, but my next birthday will be 60! Oh my, how did that happen so quickly! I feel like I should be about 25. At any rate, the looming milestone birthday has me reading this thread with interest.

I'm really envious of you geezers that don't feel old, just kidding about the geezer part :). I'm "only" 51 but feel much older. Maybe it's my stressful life (ridiculously long work days, awful commute, DW's cancer fight...) I don't know, I just feel worn out, tired all the time, no energy (maybe it's low T?, yeah right) and I wonder how bad I'll feel when I really do get old :( I think I need a good long vacation...

I don't feel old, but my next birthday will be 60! Oh my, how did that happen so quickly! I feel like I should be about 25. At any rate, the looming milestone birthday has me reading this thread with interest.

Hey, youngster, you're too young to even be thinking about aging! :D This weekend I am turning 66, which means I am on the downhill slide to 70 and I can see 70 peeking over the horizon at me. That's OK. I decided to re-define what being 70 is all about, for me.

After all, I can remember back in my twenties, when people said that really, you can't trust anybody over thirty. 30? Oh for Pete's sake. What a bunch of kids we were. :ROFLMAO:

After all, I can remember back in my twenties, when people said that really, you can't trust anybody over thirty. 30? Oh for Pete's sake. What a bunch of kids we were. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, now its don't trust anyone under 50.:LOL:

Question for those of you already retired, especially if you retired from stressful jobs...

Did you feel a new breathe of life/youth when you stopped working? Did having freedom to sleep/exercise/putz around bring back vitality?

(I'm 52 - and hoping to retire soon... and hoping for that effect... I'm exhausted at the end of work days.)

Back
Top Bottom