An old man and his toys...

Looks influenced by Harley Earl, and the era of personal jet pack expectations.

A real beauty but not my Pegasus... Funny but growing up I didn't have a bike until I found one in a collapsed garage.
It wasn't quite as colorful (all red) but it was the same vintage as your picture (sans side bags)
I remember how heavy it was because I used to deliver papers with it.

Perhaps that's why a shinny new bike still has appeal to an old man.

Last edited:
I say you should go for the new Pegasus and live it up!

I rode road bikes on the streets for a lot of years, even commuting into downtown from the suburbs. But in the last couple of years I've primarily converted to mountain biking. Just enjoy the lack of traffic and getting out into the back country. But I do avoid some of the gonzo downhiller trails - and sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, so I'll walk the bike to maintain body integrity. I usually use the mountain bike for local errands under 20 miles, the disk brakes and wide tires just feel more comfortable.

Picked up a used mountain bike at a ski shop up on the mountain where they were selling off their summer rental fleet. Got a year old hardtail for half the price of new.

I decided that these 61 year old knees needed some exercise other then walking my pup. Pulled my trusty steed off the wall, dusted her off and pumped up her tires and set off for a brief spin. I quickly thought - Oh how rusty I've become but my knees are getting some much needed exercise. However there is trouble in paradise my 20 year old hybrid (slightly fatter tires - with the more comfy seat) is kinda popping out of gear and the there's a bumping on that rear tire..it looks out of round.

A couple hours later I'm in a bike shop with the Mrs and I describe the symptoms to the bike technician and he says a tune up and new tires and you'll be good to go. Probably all in $140. He asks how old is your bike? I tell him An he says "Maybe you should think about a new bike."

The new bike (I call her Pegasus) $700 has new technology like front shocks, disc brakes, very light and is as beautiful as can be.. Zoom zoom and it has that new bike smell. I tell myself I deserve a new bike ...what's $700 dollars these days... This would have all been wonderful except my alter ego is standing next to me "maybe you should think about it a bit"..she says. Needless to say Wednesday night I can pick up our old bikes new tires and a tune up...

Ah sweet Pegasus we would have been wonderful together....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Love this post (and style)! I have a pretty nice old mountain bike hanging on my garage wall. I've been thinking about getting new tires and a tune up - you have pushed me over and I'm gonna do it. It is far to hilly where I live to ride, but there are nice flatter trails close by. One trail follows a river for several miles thru the woods and comes out in town. Get a cup of coffee and ride back to the vehicle :). Thanks, I needed the push!
I'm not ready for all the fancy spandex tho I'll be wearing shorts or sweats with white socks with helmet askew, look out ladies :D!

If you listen to all these "be careful" stories then you might possibly be old and might as well just use the old bike. Otherwise just have a great time, be free, and get the new bike! I had an older bike and finally got a new bike and it is so much more enjoyable to ride.

If you listen to all these "be careful" stories then you might possibly be old and might as well just use the old bike. Otherwise just have a great time, be free, and get the new bike! I had an older bike and finally got a new bike and it is so much more enjoyable to ride.

+1 I got a new Road bike back in 2012 for my 60th birthday, and last year got a new hybrid to replace my old hybrid. The newer bikes are more fun to ride. I rarely have a drink, don't do drugs, and never cheated on DW so if this is my only vice that's not too bad.
Oh, I will echo the comments about being careful and taking advantage of nearby bike trails. But other than that, enjoy!

Oh I'll be careful but I won't let it stop me... I see a 70+ guy jogging in my neighborhood all the time- even when it's in the high 80s or freezing. My inspiration - you have to get out and move!

Pegasus will be mine but I have to bike regularly for a month or two...then I'll feel comfortable buying it.
Ps I love merlot, a good single malt and I don't chase the ladies but still feel I deserve Pegasus....

Last edited:
Am an advocate of biking, as an alternative to walking, as I believe it puts less stress on the knees and hips, and calls for the same kind of muscle stretching as swimming, without the shock of continuous impact. (just my opinion)

Counting the years, now more than 75 years of riding bikes. My 1992 "Offroad" Mountain bike, the 1980 Motobecane, and the 1974 Schwinn Bent Tube Sprint still serve me well. Also a more modern 1997 Mongoose mountain bike, that gets the most use.

No longer do the 35 mile treks, but have moved back to biking 2 to 10 miles a day when there isn't any wind.

I stay off the traveled roads. Lots of roads and trails at Woodhaven, but in our CCRC area, limit the riding to the side streets. Don't know if it's just my imagination, but it seems that many car drivers on the higher speed roads don't give bikers the room required by law. That's ok for the bikers who are young, strong, and can hold a straight line, but not so good for us oldsters.

As to toys... yeah... guilty. All together, here in Peru, Florida and Woodhaven Lakes, 8 bikes... all in perfect, well tuned condition. In the first 15 years of retirement, bicycle repair and tune up was one of my volunteer contributions to our retirement communities.

All in all, biking seems to be the easiest way of putting off the inevitable aging of the body. For those who haven't been riding for a long time, I usually recommend taking it slow for the first few days or weeks. As pointed out in other posts, correct seat and handlebar height is extremely important. Watching older people rediscovering the sport, the biggest problem is that they set the seat too low, stressing the knee muscles and joints. That's okay in the early days, while learning balance, brakes, and speeds but unless the seat is reset to the correct height, newbies often find biking to be too hard on the body. The other major problem comes from not keeping the tires at the correct pressure... makes for much more work.

No new bikes for this old bear... I like knowing the history of the older bikes... Schwinn only built a few hundred of the "bent tube" bikes, great story behind the scenes. Same interest with the "Offroad" a bike that was 10 years ahead of its time, with some features that even now are still being discovered. It was the precursor of Trek... Who here, ever heard of an oval crank, with sharpened teeth, or a drive chain without a master link? a front elastomer suspension, and and single pivot rear suspension.

Many bicycle history websites that track the technology from the early 1800's, through the high wheel "boneshaker" in the 1870's through to today's high tech carbon framed lightweights.

Last edited:
I agree with imoldernu - bike fit is very important. Not just to prevent injuries, but to make the ride more enjoyable. Also, a better bike is worth the investment. It will perform much better and hold up much better.

OP's age of 61 is relatively young for biking. I know a couple of 70-somethings who rode 3000-5000 miles last year, and a bunch of 60-somethings who do the same.

I agree with imoldernu - bike fit is very important. Not just to prevent injuries, but to make the ride more enjoyable. Also, a better bike is worth the investment. It will perform much better and hold up much better.

OP's age of 61 is relatively young for biking. I know a couple of 70-somethings who rode 3000-5000 miles last year, and a bunch of 60-somethings who do the same.

My best fit investment is to get a better saddle than the one that came with the bike. Gotta protect the crown jewels :cool:.

I only ride about 30 miles a week in the summer to help keep fit. Even so, the ride is refreshing. Though, I don't dislike the treadmill in colder months.

The thing that cured my "saddle problems" was just lowering the nose of the seat a bit, making sure the buns rested on the most padded part of the decidedly unpadded seat.

My old steed returnith (the mrs picked hers and mine up) of course after dinner I took her out.
They cleaned him, he shifts perfectly, the new tires are round! Problem remaining: there is still an old man on riding her!
I rode a bit further this time (2nd round of knee shots tomorrow) didn't want to risk it....
I discovered a problem: no muscle - yet two hours later the worse knee is more flexible -- yes! Let's hope tomorrow it's fine.

---------------------
Don't worry Pegasus there is room for another stallion in my garage.
Just promise not to fight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom