Android WiFi Experts? Wifi Auto Switches to Xfinity

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Any Android experts out here?
I've been unable to find any answers anywhere else, so this is my last shot before just living with it.

Just got a Samsung 4 7" tablet.

Love it, but if I move to another room and my WiFi signal gets weak, my neighbor's Xfinity hot spot will take over automatically.

Because I haven't signed up the tablet to Xfinity, I connect but can't access anything. I only discover that I'm connected to Xfinity when the tablet stops working. I don't want to connect my tablet to Xfinity at all.

I've tried unchecking "always allow scanning" under the Advanced menu and "forget network" but it doesn't seem to help. I also tried Wifi Ruler (paid) but really couldn't get it to help (actually couldn't figure out what it does).

So anyone know how I can delete Xfinity as a connection option or at least prevent it from automatically connecting?

I'd think about going to the neighbor and show them how to opt out of the public wifi.

When you connect, do you get any services, like browsing?

If you or anyone ever logged in to a comcast wifi spot, then the login is stored on your phone.

This page is long and rambling, but interesting. It mentions wifi analyzer and other things. Perhaps you can find a way to make your signal better, maybe by placing it on another channel. Or reposition the wireless so it has better coverage of your location.

Comcast XFINITY WiFi: Just say no | Computerworld

Have you tried unchecking Network notification? That should be in Wi-Fi settings.

Last edited:
When you are not in range of the neighbor's network, pull up the wifi networks on your tablet and delete that xfinity (and any other). On my phone, this involves getting to "settings," "Wi-Fi," then hitting the three little dots (a colon + 1) in the lower right hand corner, and then "manage networks." In "manage networks," a long hold on a given network pops up with the option for you to "forget network." Once forgotten, it should ask you for permission before ever connecting again. (and, if you have the notification unchecked per Target2019, it should not bother you.)

Here is a link that may discuss it better than I did: wi fi - Stop wifi connecting to open networks - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

What version of android ? I have not seen that behavior on my devices.

If you have never joined the network it shouldn't connect, it does remember previous connections. Telling it to forget the network under settings should remove the connection , at least it does on mine.

EDIT:

It might be something specific to the tablet vs android. Here's a similar issue with a galaxy

http://androidforums.com/threads/ho...lly-turning-on-and-connecting-to-wifi.688018/

Last edited:
What version of android ? I have not seen that behavior on my devices.

If you have never joined the network it shouldn't connect, it does remember previous connections. Telling it to forget the network under settings should remove the connection , at least it does on mine.

EDIT:

It might be something specific to the tablet vs android. Here's a similar issue with a galaxy

How to STOP galaxy from automatically turning on and connecting to WiFi? | Android Forums

Android version 4.4.2 Just got it new a few days ago and it updated itself to latest version

Try the app
Wi Fi Manager

Version 3.0 and later is supposed to allow select exclusions.

Haven't done this but see it recommended for the described situation

Back
Top Bottom