Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #481

Oh Huston, is that one of those dog puzzles?
How cool! I've heard about them but never tried one.
Gotta love those short cute legs!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #482
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyndChym View Post
What a wonderful thing to do, FD!
+1 from me...just seeing this.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #483
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Love Corgi's (both kinds), that was our 2nd choice. Very cute, and SMMMAAAARTTTT.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #484
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Love Corgi's (both kinds), that was our 2nd choice. Very cute, and SMMMAAAARTTTT.
The Queen thinks so
Attached Images
File Type: jpg queen e.jpg (34.2 KB, 273 views)
Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #485

Thx for all the posts. The third picture is him solving one of his puzzles; they're great fun.

We love him very much, and feel fortunate to have him in our lives. He's our third Corgi. I like to think these pics show how he takes after his Dad: cute, sexy & smart. Although, DW would likely say, short, stocky and always under foot.

In any case, he's our little man.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #486
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
In any case, he's our little man.
Great shots. Did he solve the puzzle or go lie down?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Great shots. Did he solve the puzzle or go lie down?
Yep. When there are cookies involved, he's very motivated. A small treat goes under each wooden post, which he must slide to a wide spot in the slot to turn over and eat the treat. If I could only be as focused as he is doing his puzzle, I'd control the world.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #488
Give me a forum ...

My friend is in very ill health. She owns two kittens (siblings) about six months old. Unfortunately, it looks like my friend is unable to care for the kittens anymore.

I've tried to find a good home for both of them together, unfortunately, most people don't want two cats. One may want just one, but it breaks my heart to separate the two of them -- they are each other's best buddy, since birth.

So, a question for all the cat psyschologists out there. Who traumatic is it to have siblings kittens, separated from each other? Do they mourn and miss the other's company? Or do they adapt pretty well?

I remember a few years ago, my friend's cat had a litter of 5 kittens (actually, two sets of 5 in different occasions). We had to give them away. It was heartbreaking seeing the mama cat looking for her babies, searching the house, but they were gone!

Is the seperation tougher on me than on them?

First things first....got an apointment next Thursday to get them both fixed -- snip snip
Old 11-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #489
Give me a forum ...

First of all, I'm sorry your friend is sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Is the seperation tougher on me than on them?
Probably so.

It's been my experience cats do just fine when separated from their littermates.

At one point I had three cats (none of them littermates) that lived together over a decade. When the first one died, I thought one cat in particular would mourn his death, but he did not...in any way, shape or form.

You might want to sell the idea of taking both cats to a person by telling them if they go out of town, the kittens will not be as lonely. Also, they will not be as destructive on the furniture, rugs, and drapes if they have each other during times of play.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #490
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I had no problem separating from my brother after living with him for 18 years. And I have seen sibling cats actually appear happier to have the run of the house when one died. By adopting in pairs only, you are severely limiting your market.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #491

I would encourage someone to adopt in pairs, so they keep each other company, but if you can't, then better for them to have a home than not. They will get over the sep anxiety. I feel sad for your friend, though, because her illness is already a bad thing, and now she will be without the kitties' companionship, too. Bummer.
But you are awesome for stepping up!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #492
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for your input.

Decisions..Decisions...

Now is the time I wish I had a several room house instead of living in a single bedroom condo. My place doesn't allow for more than one cat, plus two would be a handful in such a small area. Another worry is I'm on the 5th floor with a balcony.

If I can't find a taker, I might have to bring them to my place and just use some paint (to make the cats look like one cat if a neighbor complains -- just kidding ).

They think of me as their mom....but two in a tight area...I dunno
Old 11-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #493

It's hard to say. I had two cats once. They used to groom each other, sleep together, play together (one male and one female) and from my point of view, the boy cat terrorized the girl cat at times (the boy cat would bite the girl cat's neck and the female cat would start meowing to be released etc. They were both fixed though). After the male cat died, the surviving girl cat would occasionally howl in the middle of the night for no apparent reason while going from room to room. It was kind of spooky and sad at the same time. She died less than a year later.

I currently have only one cat. He seems content, but then, he doesn't know what it's like to have another cat in the house. At this point, he is too old to want another cat in the house. (I am his mate and he tolerates me.)
Old 11-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #494

Several of my cats are companionable, others are not. It just depends on their own nature. I can however report that I will be more than happy to box up the tabby cat to send to anyone here, as I let her sleep in our bed last night. My reward? Finding a dead squirrel curled up inches from my feet when I awoke. Disgusting! We leave the back door open for the dogs to go in and out, so I guess after a little nocturnal hunting she thought she'd share her prize. GROSS!

But on a happier note, here is my favorite foster dog from earlier this year, and her new "job" with her very awesome new owner. It is called dock diving, and she's going to be a superstar! She also does flyball, frisbee, and agility. Such a great athlete, and when I got her, the young girl who surrendered her was keeping her in a tiny apartment, she was 25% underweight, with awful skin and a savage temper. All that is over now, and she's a healthy happy dog with a job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dock2.jpg (86.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Dockdive.jpg (168.5 KB, 3 views)

Old 11-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Several of my cats are companionable, others are not. It just depends on their own nature. I can however report that I will be more than happy to box up the tabby cat to send to anyone here, as I let her sleep in our bed last night. My reward? Finding a dead squirrel curled up inches from my feet when I awoke. Disgusting! We leave the back door open for the dogs to go in and out, so I guess after a little nocturnal hunting she thought she'd share her prize. GROSS!

My tabby brought a LIVE mouse into my bed in the morning once (thankfully, at my feet!). EGADS!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #496

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post

My tabby brought a LIVE mouse into my bed in the morning once (thankfully, at my feet!). EGADS!
Okay, I have had everyone I've talked to today beat with my story...until YOU came along with an even worse one! YEEEEIKES! That dead squirrel is looking pretty good about now. Oh dear me..what is IT with these tabbies?

Old 11-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #497

Quote:
Okay, I have had everyone I've talked to today beat with my story...until YOU came along with an even worse one! YEEEEIKES! That dead squirrel is looking pretty good about now. Oh dear me..what is IT with these tabbies?
LOL! I never moved SO fast in the morning in my LIFE!

Black cats are pretty bad, too. We had one that threw up a lot from hair balls. Well, one night he was on the window ledge above our bed when I heard the classic "yuck, yuck, yuck" preemptive puking sound...I turned my head just in time to see him hurl RIGHT INTO DH's EAR! OMG, DH flipped out. Here we were at 3 a.m. with his head in the tub, washing oh-so-nasty stuff out of his ear. That cat is lucky he was DH's favorite!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #498

Ok, now we are on to the perennial favorite..cat hurling! That is TOTALLY GROSS! i think that kitty would have had a flight lesson, LOL!

We were having a dinner party one night years ago, and my old gray cat was lurking on the top of the cabinets (unbeknownst to me and my guests) near the table. Not until he leaned over the edge and began that oh-so-familiar noise, at least. It cascaded off the top of the cabinet and into a big decorative bowl I'd filled with pecans, splashing from their onto a guest's shoes. Nice. Thanks kitty for ruining my dinner party!

Old 11-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #499

Quote:
We were having a dinner party one night years ago, and my old gray cat was lurking on the top of the cabinets (unbeknownst to me and my guests) near the table. Not until he leaned over the edge and began that oh-so-familiar noise, at least. It cascaded off the top of the cabinet and into a big decorative bowl I'd filled with pecans, splashing from their onto a guest's shoes. Nice. Thanks kitty for ruining my dinner party!
OMG!!!!

Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #500
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
<snip>Well, one night he was on the window ledge above our bed when I heard the classic "yuck, yuck, yuck" preemptive puking sound...
My kitty is more of a "hoomfwah, hoomfwah, hoomfwah" kind o' gal.