Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #521

I hadn't looked at this thread in a while and it seems to be mostly about pewking felines and dead flies

However, I couldn't help but read on

We had 2 cats (sisters) for 15 years and had forgotten all the yukky side of it.

As for dead flies on ceilings....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (31.9 KB, 191 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2
Bummer.

Zak appeared to be getting along OK, (no apparent symptoms); we went for a walk and he got into the truck one morning......I drove on to Lake Havasu and when we arrived his back legs weren't functioning......it was a holiday weekend and I had to wait to see a vet.......vet ran tests and said the cancer was right through him.

They gave him the injection....I waited with him until he was gone....then sat in the truck bawling my eyes out.

It is tough.
Nemo. Been there. So sorry. But know it was still worth it for the time you had together. Damn.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #523

And zac looks like a border collie. I do rescue of these pups. Truly they are wonder dogs. Love to you for taking on the challenge. I've had enough of them for sure!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #524
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
And zac looks like a border collie. I do rescue of these pups. Truly they are wonder dogs. Love to you for taking on the challenge. I've had enough of them for sure!
Yes he was a Border Collie......I still have his papers around somewhere.....he had a number of International Champions as ancestors, most noticably Wiston Cap, ( and here) often referred to as the 'cornerstone of the modern Border Collie'...(WC had a LOT of pups).

Smart. We told people he could do our Tax returns.

Energy......about halfway through his life I was out playing with him and a stranger came up and asked "Does he ever get tired?".........I said "I don't know, I've only had him for 6 1/2 years".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 AM   #525

Awww Nemo, my Grace also shared those lines. And I still have her papers too. There is something special about borders. Will you get another? I love your line about him getting tired-will use that in my future home visits with potential adopters!

Old 11-13-2011, 05:50 AM   #526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Awww Nemo, my Grace also shared those lines. And I still have her papers too. There is something special about borders. Will you get another? I love your line about him getting tired-will use that in my future home visits with potential adopters!
Here's another Border Collie story for you:

When my late wife and I lived in B.C. we were on a hill where the driveway sloped down to the house - one time we were both in the front garden working, and Zak, as Borders are wont to do, was frantically looking for a 'toy'......offhandedly, (and without pointing), I said to him "I saw a ball behind the big rock at the top of the drive".

He immediately turned around, walked up the drive, went behind the rock and retrieved the ball - we were agape.

Will I get another? Doubtful. I turned 69 in September, my lady & I live in a small condo townhouse and just about the only place in town where dogs can run is the fenced dog park.......society is becoming more and more paranoid, and I swear it won't be long before 'they' demand that kids wear helmets while watching TV.

There's also another factor, I hope I wouldn't do it but I've seen it happen.......people have had "That ONE dog" and subsequent animals don't live up to expectations and the next dog just doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #527

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I said to him "I saw a ball behind the big rock at the top of the drive".

He immediately turned around, walked up the drive, went behind the rock and retrieved the ball - we were agape.
Our sheppard/husky runt knew about 300 words. We were always amazed when she would pick up on our conversation, not even directed at her, like having mentioned drive or car or walk and there she was up on her feet in front of me wagging. Spooky!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #528

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Our sheppard/husky runt knew about 300 words. We were always amazed when she would pick up on our conversation, not even directed at her, like having mentioned drive or car or walk and there she was up on her feet in front of me wagging. Spooky!
LOL....we couldn't even make the 'G' sound in 'Going' before Zak was at the door.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #529
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As a kid, I had a dog that could spell. If I said "I'm going to Gary's" he would show up at Gary's later (2 miles away), even if we locked him in the house until long after I'd gone.

So I'd say "I'm going to G.A.R.Y.S."

I know, he didn't really know how to spell, but it is what we would tell people.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #530

One of the CDs I listen to while working out on the elliptical features this track.......every time I hear it I think of my dog and it brings the proverbial lump to my throat:

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Old 11-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #531
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.......... the only place in town where dogs can run is the fenced dog park.......society is becoming more and more paranoid, and I swear it won't be long before 'they' demand that kids wear helmets while watching TV..............
I walk my dog 2 to 3 miles everyday (on leash) and by far the biggest hassle I have is with people that let their dogs run loose. I will grant you that some, if not most, of the loose dogs are very obedient and sweet, but there are enough idiots to screw it up for everyone. Not surprisingly, the aggressive dogs seem to be owned by aggressive people. So, I'm an advocate for enforced leash laws.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #532

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I walk my dog 2 to 3 miles everyday (on leash) and by far the biggest hassle I have is with people that let their dogs run loose. I will grant you that some, if not most, of the loose dogs are very obedient and sweet, but there are enough idiots to screw it up for everyone. Not surprisingly, the aggressive dogs seem to be owned by aggressive people. So, I'm an advocate for enforced leash laws.
I know what you mean, but my Border Collie was trained to walk to heel unleashed...........on a trail I once encountered a woman with an obnoxious dog, so I put mine in a Down Stay - the woman's dog meanwhile was up on its back legs and she's pulling with all her strength to hold it...all the while yelling at me "Put your dog on a leash, put your dog on a leash".

I said "Lady, MY dog is under control....YOUR dog has to be forcibly restrained".

Old 11-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #533
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know what you mean, but my Border Collie was trained to walk to heel unleashed...........on a trail I once encountered a woman with an obnoxious dog, so I put mine in a Down Stay - the woman's dog meanwhile was up on its back legs and she's pulling with all her strength to hold it...all the while yelling at me "Put your dog on a leash, put your dog on a leash".

I said "Lady, MY dog is under control....YOUR dog has to be forcibly restrained".
It is fortunate that this aggressive dog was on a leash. Think about what it would have been like if the dog was off leash.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
It is fortunate that this aggressive dog was on a leash. Think about what it would have been like if the dog was off leash.
My Border was a 70lb, (no fat), un-neutered male, who, while being very placid, didn't take kindly to rudeness.

But, yeah...I also encountered, (a couple times before I avoided her), a younger woman with a Pit Bull......."Oh, look", she said the first couple times, "He wants to play with your dog".......I had to inform her that her dog was exhibiting aggression, not 'playing'.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #535
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My Border was a 70lb, (no fat), un-neutered male, who, while being very placid, didn't take kindly to rudeness.

But, yeah...I also encountered, (a couple times before I avoided her), a younger woman with a Pit Bull......."Oh, look", she said the first couple times, "He wants to play with your dog".......I had to inform her that her dog was exhibiting aggression, not 'playing'.
Unfortunately, when some people see dogs running off leash, they jump to the conclusion that the law is conditional and of course, they consider their dog an exception, too. So, like other laws, it has to apply to everyone, not just those that need to comply for others' safety and comfort. Unless I'm at the dog park, my dog stays on a leash.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #536
Give me a forum ...

This was my wild-child kitty... she didn't mind a leash.

The other kitties in my life....fuhgeddaboudit....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amy.jpg (226.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #537
Give me a forum ...

I walk my dog off leash all the time. He does a great service for the community by finding all the cat poop and eating it. He also chases all loose cats that are running around and makes sure they go up trees or into fenced yards where they belong.

I always get about 5 "Your dog is so well-behaved!" comments daily.

Obligate dog photo:
Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #538

OK, here's the sort of thing people with Border Collies love, because our dogs are geniuses in charge and the rest of the dog world are their subjects! As are we, their "owners". My BCs knew a pretty decent vocabulary, and when they learned "beach" as in we are going there and not taking you, we had to start spelling it out b-e-a-c-h. Yep, they learned that, too.

Here is one of many stories of Chaser, a Border Collie owned by a SC psych professor who may well have a limitless capacity for words. I love that in some of the videos you can tell she isn't particularly obedient, like when she won't bring the ball back after the games.

World Smartest Dog? A New NOVA Special Shows a Border Collie That Can Identify More Than 1,000 Items - ABC News

Nemo, you are probably right to hold off on getting another BC, but you could always consider fostering if there is an active group in your area. That way you get the fun part but not the lifetime commitment! And I do agree about that "one dog" thing--we've done many a home visit where there is a shrine to the perfect dog and I fear that there is no way another dog will ever measure up. The best attitude is that every dog is different, and even littermates don't turn out the same.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
This was my wild-child kitty... she didn't mind a leash.

The other kitties in my life....fuhgeddaboudit....
we tried leashes. We even have one that takes his collar off when at home. He is belled here in Mexico and accepts that.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #540

Quote:
One of the CDs I listen to while working out on the elliptical features this track.......every time I hear it I think of my dog and it brings the proverbial lump to my throat:
This was the one that comes to my mind:

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Or as Andy Rooney is reported to have said: "if dogs don't go to heaven, then I want to go where they go!"