Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #581
Dryer sheet aficionado

Our 90 pound GSD was quite a dandy boy. If he even stepped in something stinky he would lift up his paw and get this droopy mouth look like “Ewww! Hurry and wipe it off before I throw-up!!” LOL!! Now our 30 pound TT goes out his way to find something stinky to roll in. He will delicately pull earth worms from the yard with his teeth then have a good old time squishing them up by rolling like crazy on them. I’ll never forget the time I found a big old dried up squished worm between the bed sheets.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #582
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyndChym View Post
Our 90 pound GSD was quite a dandy boy. If he even stepped in something stinky he would lift up his paw and get this droopy mouth look like “Ewww! Hurry and wipe it off before I throw-up!!” LOL!! Now our 30 pound TT goes out his way to find something stinky to roll in. He will delicately pull earth worms from the yard with his teeth then have a good old time squishing them up by rolling like crazy on them. I’ll never forget the time I found a big old dried up squished worm between the bed sheets.
Amen to this! We have a 5 year old TT that is constantly seeking out scents to roll in, including earthworms and our trash! We have videos of him lovingly rubbing against our trash bags...hilarious!

TT's are the best dogs BTW.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #583
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post

TT's are the best dogs BTW.
I so agree bltkmt. I think they are the best kept secret ever!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #584
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is Carson

Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #585
Dryer sheet aficionado

Aww! What a handsome boy Carson is! Thank you for the pic!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #586
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Carson looks like fun, but then I like all dogs!!!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #587
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maltese pups and cat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0693.jpg (693.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #588
Administrator

The following few posts were moved here from another thread, where they were off topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
+1 for psst ..........

And W2R, whats with that new avi. I certainly can't associate you with a parrot. Do you have one as a pet?
This is the first avatar I have used with actual pets I have owned*. These miniature macaws (called "severe macaws") were our pets for many years. The one on the right is the male, and very dear. The one on the left is Cookie, a female we bought for him, much to his delight. One of these days I'll switch to avatars depicting some of our other macaws.

*I don't have these birds any more; My ex and I decided that he would take all the macaws, since we didn't want to split them up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg El Nino and Cookie.jpg (28.6 KB, 7 views)

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #589
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Nice of you to be willing to give them up to keep them together. Does he still have them?

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #590
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This is the first avatar I have used with actual pets I have owned*. These miniature macaws (called "severe macaws") were our pets for many years. The one on the right is the male, and very dear. The one on the left is Cookie, a female we bought for him, much to his delight. One of these days I'll switch to avatars depicting some of our other macaws.

*I don't have these birds any more; My ex and I decided that he would take all the macaws, since we didn't want to split them up.
Very cool. As a child we used to visit my uncle who had a farm in upstate NY. The only thing I liked about visiting there since they had no TV was his macaw or parrot (it was big so must have been a macaw). That bird was a real hoot literally.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #591
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nice of you to be willing to give them up to keep them together. Does he still have them?
Not these two.

El Nino, our much beloved male severe, died at about age 40-50 last year of cancer. My ex still had him. He had been our dear pet since the 1970's.

Cookie, the female, died in 1995 or so at age 7 in childbirth trying to lay eggs. One of her eggs was ectopic and traveled into her abdominal cavity. The vet said there was no way we could have known or done anything. We were so sad, and El Nino mourned for her for years. Especially the first week after she died, he was so sad.

My ex still has our greenwing macaw, Rosie, though. I guess she's about 35 years old by now. We sold our blue and gold macaw to a good home in the early 1990's since we were beginning to feel like "there once was a woman who lived in a shoe. She had so many macaws she didn't know what to do.". They need a lot of love and attention and we had just enough of both for three , but not four. Our daughter came first, in the love and attention dept, of course.

Edited to add: I previously posted photos of El Nino and Rosie, here: Animals we share our lives with

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Very cool. As a child we used to visit my uncle who had a farm in upstate NY. The only thing I liked about visiting there since they had no TV was his macaw or parrot (it was big so must have been a macaw). That bird was a real hoot literally.
What fun for a kid to get to know a macaw! Sounds like a wonderful memory.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #592
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful birds W2R. I'm a cat fancier, but volunteer at the shelter so have learned much about all companion animals, including birds. One unique thing about birds is many of them live so long. Many bird owners consider them in their wills since often they are likely to outlive their human companions.

They are beautiful and I've learned how intelligent these lovely creatures are. There was a parrot at the shelter not long ago who lost his family due to a tragedy. He was very smart and clearly aware and upset about what happened to his family. I felt so sorry for him. He did find a good home but I don't think he ever got over what he'd been through.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #593
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
Maltese pups and cat.
Love this
Old 03-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #594
Give me a forum ...

Retired Military Dog, Lex, Dies

Here is a link to a local story concerning the recent passing of a military dog who had been adopted by the family of the deceased dog's handler. Video clip included. You may remember something about this as the adoption and story was aired on the national news a few years ago.

Military Dog Lex Remembered By His Family
Old 05-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #595
Give me a forum ...

Animals are great, but they can be expensive......

Took my dog on a hike yesterday at our favorite park. As I have always done, I let him off leash to run an play in the woods and do some swimming in the lake. Unfortunately he found a discarded fishing hook with line attached and swallowed it. I didn't see him actually swallow it, but saw the line dangling from his mouth. At his point, I knew we were in deep crap. And we had 2 miles of walking to get back to my SUV. Thankfully he wasn't in distress but by time we get to the vet, he swallowed the rest of the line.

The local clinic takes an xray and the picture shows the hook was stuck in his esophagus. In a small town like this no one has the equipment to do a scope so I was forwarded to Mississippi's one and only vet school some 90 miles away. Of course they have to put him under anesthesia to do it, but they were successful in plucking the hook free with line attached. Thankfully avoiding surgery. So they will call me later this morning after a night of observation and I will get to pick him up later in the day. An expensive $1,200+ hike.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Animals are great, but they can be expensive......

Took my dog on a hike yesterday at our favorite park. As I have always done, I let him off leash to run an play in the woods and do some swimming in the lake. Unfortunately he found a discarded fishing hook with line attached and swallowed it. I didn't see him actually swallow it, but saw the line dangling from his mouth. At his point, I knew we were in deep crap. And we had 2 miles of walking to get back to my SUV. Thankfully he wasn't in distress but by time we get to the vet, he swallowed the rest of the line.

The local clinic takes an xray and the picture shows the hook was stuck in his esophagus. In a small town like this no one has the equipment to do a scope so I was forwarded to Mississippi's one and only vet school some 90 miles away. Of course they have to put him under anesthesia to do it, but they were successful in plucking the hook free with line attached. Thankfully avoiding surgery. So they will call me later this morning after a night of observation and I will get to pick him up later in the day. An expensive $1,200+ hike.
Expensive hike for sure, but thankfully you saw the line and figured out what had happened and got him to the vet. Hope he is OK and that this doesn't blow the budget.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #597
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Hope he is OK and that this doesn't blow the budget.
+1

It would be a shame if you had to cut back on meds to pay the vet bill....

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #598
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

It would be a shame if you had to cut back on meds to pay the vet bill....
Nah, I'll cut back on food first. Need to drop a lb or two anyway. I'm sure the med's have nothing to do with it.

Vet just called and said he is doing great and I can pick him up later this morning. So another 90 mile drive to pick up the little devil at Miss State. Maybe they will give me a football ticket or two for my nice contribution to the University.

Below is a pic of the mutt literally 2 minutes before he cost me $$$.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #599

Dogs are so worth it.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...1&d=1337692517
Attached Images
File Type: jpg our pups.jpg (889.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Nah, I'll cut back on food first. Need to drop a lb or two anyway. I'm sure the med's have nothing to do with it.

Vet just called and said he is doing great and I can pick him up later this morning. So another 90 mile drive to pick up the little devil at Miss State. Maybe they will give me a football ticket or two for my nice contribution to the University.

Below is a pic of the mutt literally 2 minutes before he cost me $$$.

It looks like he is smiling with that stick in his mouth; perhaps proud of his catch. Glad he is OK.