Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #661
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I'm so jealous!

So, what's the title of the book? Do I see the "d" word?
WHAT THE DOG SAW by Malcolm Gladwell's

This is Smokey visiting my African Spurred tortoise, while in for the winter.

smokey and dumpf 007.jpg

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #662
Full time employment: Posting here.

Grashopper - a sign of a true cat home - towels on every chair! We have towels and blankets on pretty much everything!!

Here's my Kizzy, who fetched when she was little, then stopped for a while. She just started to do it again. She's so smart!!

Old 06-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #663

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Grashopper - a sign of a true cat home - towels on every chair! We have towels and blankets on pretty much everything!!

Here's my Kizzy, who fetched when she was little, then stopped for a while. She just started to do it again. She's so smart!!

So cute!!!! We had a cat that would fetch. Never got old, at least not for us! He would get so tired he'd bring the paper back and lay there panting. So fun!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #664
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Good girl Kizzy
Old 06-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #665
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Cats you gotta love them.

Attachment 14562
There has never been any living creature I've seen who can be more comfortable than a well cared for cat
Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #666
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Kizzy's last fetch is like our cats' first fetches. Playing soccer is what they do with just about anything.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #667

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Kizzy's last fetch is like our cats' first fetches. Playing soccer is what they do with just about anything.
Here's one of Magic cat, (a combo of 'Black Magic' & 'The Magic Kingdom'), playing 'tinfoil ball tennis' atop a portable wardrobe......circa 1985. (Unfortunately Magic ran out of spells and left us in 2005.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #668
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nemo - love the outstretched paw!! Gorgeous kitty.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #669

Quote:
Nemo - love the outstretched paw!! Gorgeous kitty.
When we moved into a larger place in Riyadh, with stairs and a landing, as soon as I brought out the tinfoil ball he'd run upstairs and then swat it in mid-air through the railings.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #670
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Nice video.... our young cat will fetch at times... we have a plastic ball with a noise maker inside... like the video, she is not that great at getting the ball back to us... at times, she is half way back and drops the ball to get back to petting faster At other times, she will look at us like 'not now'...
Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #671

I had a couple of cats that would fetch. There is one drawback to training them to do that. They would leave dead mice, rabbits and other wildlife on my front step if the cats were out at night.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #672
Give me a forum ...

Big bird in our backyard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010064.JPG (463.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg P1010066.JPG (426.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #673
Give me a forum ...

Update on big bird: Think this is a red tailed hawk. Since I took these photos, she's killed and eaten a squirrel and a small rabbit. She’s been in our back yard all day today. Pretty sure she's a girl since she's so big - about 2' tall - and female since girl red tails tend to be much larger than the boys. Thinking she may have a nest with babies in our yard. Our usual menagerie of squirrels, birds, ground hogs, chipmunks and other critters have taken cover. Our bird bath and bird feeder are understandably underutilized.

I’ve already advised DH to be cautious during the next lawn mowing. Might be a good time for him to pull out that old motorcycle helmet…
Old 06-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Update on big bird: Think this is a red tailed hawk. Since I took these photos, she's killed and eaten a squirrel and a small rabbit. She’s been in our back yard all day today. Pretty sure she's a girl since she's so big - about 2' tall - and female since girl red tails tend to be much larger than the boys. Thinking she may have a nest with babies in our yard. Our usual menagerie of squirrels, birds, ground hogs, chipmunks and other critters have taken cover. Our bird bath and bird feeder are understandably underutilized.

I’ve already advised DH to be cautious during the next lawn mowing. Might be a good time for him to pull out that old motorcycle helmet…
It's really cool looking. I trust none of your kitties go outdoors, or will be while the hawk is around...?

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 06-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #675
Give me a forum ...

This is just too strange. While I was providing the last update, DH came in and said "you gotta see this". I think it's safe to assume our bird bath is now off limits to all other birds...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010063d.JPG (446.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #676
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
It's really cool looking. I trust none of your kitties go outdoors, or will be while the hawk is around...?
No worries. All our kitties are indoors only.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #677

Quote:
This is just too strange. While I was providing the last update, DH came in and said "you gotta see this". I think it's safe to assume our bird bath is now off limits to all other birds...
Wow! That is indeed odd! Fun to watch though, I'm sure!

Old 06-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #678

Purron, the bird bath photo makes me laugh!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #679
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not very subtle, is she?

Just washing the blood and the fleshy bits off her talons before she goes "grazing" again...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #680
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Not very subtle, is she?

Just washing the blood and the fleshy bits off her talons before she goes "grazing" again...
Yup. I plan on avoiding that part of the yard where she enjoyed her last meal.