Animals we share our lives with

Kcowan,

Sorry for you loss...

The only good thing I can say is that you know what happened.... our cat, which was an indoor/outdoor on her insistence (she was an outdoor more than half her life before we took her in, even though someone declawed her)... one day she went out like always and never came back...

Condolences to Keith and Faye on the loss of Flash. 15+ years is a long time.

Kcowan,

I am so sorry you are dealing with the passing of Flash. I think the guilt accompanies each and every way our beloved pets go, whether suddenly, with suffering, with euthanasia, disappearance...guilt is part of it. There was nothing you could have done, even if you recognized distress twenty/sixty minutes earlier. Flash was loved and knew it.

We put our 14 yo dog to sleep a few weeks ago and feel guilt...should it have been done the week before? But, we KNOW Whiskers was loved and knew it...as did Flash. That is THE most important thing. We loved them and only wanted the best for them and they felt the love. We loved them and they loved us and it is a super-marvelous relationship, even with the bad at the end. The end, with all that came before it, is NOT a defining moment. I am thinking Flash went quickly, with very little or no pain.

A beautiful cat. And, I loved the eulogy. I know how shocking it is to have a death occur suddenly. Well, I never had one that sudden but I did have a 13 year old cat go from healthy to dead within 24 hours and it was so difficult, in part because of the shock of it.

This is my almost 4 year old cat named Fraidy (as in Fraidy Cat). Came to us as a scrawny feral kitten with his abandoned mother and siblings (see first picture). Mother and siblings disappeared but he stuck around. Due to his fearful nature it took many weeks before he would even let me touch him.

Fast forward to now (see other two pictures), he's more or less domesticated but is still an indoor/outdoor kitty. Loves to hunt things and bring us "presents". The picture of him on the overturned couch was because I was trying to catch a live chipmunk he brought in. I think Fraidy really enjoys watching "daddy" (i.e, me) hunt.....

Attachments

• IMG00049-20100930-1808.jpg
    IMG00049-20100930-1808.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20130918_175127.jpg
    20130918_175127.jpg
    681.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Fraidy on the prowl.jpg
    Fraidy on the prowl.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 18
This is my almost 4 year old cat named Fraidy (as in Fraidy Cat). Came to us as a scrawny feral kitten with his abandoned mother and siblings (see first picture). Mother and siblings disappeared but he stuck around. Due to his fearful nature it took many weeks before he would even let me touch him.

Fast forward to now (see other two pictures), he's more or less domesticated but is still an indoor/outdoor kitty. Loves to hunt things and bring us "presents". The picture of him on the overturned couch was because I was trying to catch a live chipmunk he brought in. I think Fraidy really enjoys watching "daddy" (i.e, me) hunt.....

LOL.... I call one of our cats 'Fraidy Cat' as he seems to be scared of everything... if you go to pet him, he runs.... the only time he is calm is when he visits you in the toilet (don't know why) or in bed... I think it is funny as he loves being petted.... but is too afraid to let you do it.... his real name is 'Sunny'.....

LOL.... I call one of our cats 'Fraidy Cat' as he seems to be scared of everything... if you go to pet him, he runs.... the only time he is calm is when he visits you in the toilet (don't know why) or in bed... I think it is funny as he loves being petted.... but is too afraid to let you do it.... his real name is 'Sunny'.....
I have a cat who is shy and anxious. She also loves being petted but sometimes, her anxiety is greater than her desire to be petted, so she doesn't let me near her. She absolutely loves the attention when she overcomes her anxiety though.

The first point on this page might be one reason why your anxious kitty calms down in the bathroom -

And My Cat

Last edited:
Kcowan, I am so sorry for your loss of your cat. He was a beautiful cat. I am sure that he felt very loved.

We have 5 cats. Two of the cats are 11 yrs and the other 3 are 8 yrs. I am not looking forward to the end of their lives. I am afraid that we are going to endure a lot of sadness in a short span of years. They are all indoor cats, so hopefully they have a long time to go.

I love Simon's Cat! They are cleverly done and I always recognize my cats in them!

We have a hobby farm so too many to mention all of them. Here are a few we share our life with though :)ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391696626.630654.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391696654.969516.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391696710.725564.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391696759.056653.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391696828.660798.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391696896.113509.jpg

Can't help myself! One of these pics is our kitten destroying the Christmas tree, otherwise these would be some wild animals we love both here and abroad. The tiny creature out on the lake is an otter. Love watching him slide on his belly across the snow!ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391697578.143214.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391697621.989968.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391697682.963417.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391697744.686815.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391697892.931732.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391697999.772734.jpg

dontworry, these are great! And make me feel better about sharing our place with 5 dogs and 5 cats! We've been holding off replacing the sheep, but I do miss ours. Used to have horses, too. Love all the orange cats in the mix!

dontworry, these are great! And make me feel better about sharing our place with 5 dogs and 5 cats! We've been holding off replacing the sheep, but I do miss ours. Used to have horses, too. Love all the orange cats in the mix!

Thanks! I am a huge animal lover! We have goats (4 pets only) too! ;). We only have 2 dogs right now and I am feeling myself being drawn to adopting again. DH doesn't think that's such a good idea though ;). Guess we will see!

If I could figure out how to attach photos you would see doggie Frankie, cats Riley and Rose. And a pic of my sweet dog Maggie who died last month. Would never live without dear animal family.

linny727 - when posting a comment, click on "Go Advanced", then click on the paperclip icon to select an image file to upload - and there you have it!

If you have your pictures hosted on a separate site, you can also include the url to the .jpg file in your post.

Just passing forward the knowledge that was passed to me when I was also wondering how to post photos here.

Looking forward to seeing your beloved pet menagerie!

Can't help myself! One of these pics is our kitten destroying the Christmas tree
No you don't understand. The cat is just thankful for the new climbing apparatus and determined to use it before you clutter it up! You have to work at understanding cat!

Back
Top Bottom