Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #1041
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We have just finished two weeks with our new girls - Madeline and Ramona. They are nine months old and we got them from the shelter in Norwalk, CT. They had been removed from an animal hoarding situation. They spent the first few days hiding under the funiture, but they appear to be adjusting quite nicely now. We can pet them both and hold one in the lap. We like them.
I like you Gumby.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post

I like you Gumby.
+ an infinite number of smiley faces.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #1043
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OK, I need some help....

Our two cats have fleas.... We have used an Advantix generic (not sure if it is this one as I do not have the box with me) and also tried a pyrethrin based poison.... they still seem to be there...

My DW was expecting them to be dead within a day, but found about 5 hanging around one of our cat's nose.... the other is a Russian Blue, so you can not see anything even if she had them...

SOOO, what is the best thing to use? My DW wants to go to the vet, but I do not think they have anything we can not get...

Options? recommendations?
I have used Diatomaceous Earth as a natural flea control many times with great success on both dogs and cats. It is very fine white powder almost like talcum, but is odorless and very easy to use.

DE comes in food grade or garden grade, and the food grade is needed so that it is totally safe to put directly onto the animal. I used a plastic ketchup container I bought at Wal-Mart for 99 cents because it has a cone shaped end that lets you "puff" the powder under the fur next to the skin. The fleas only need to walk through it to be affected, so I used it around the neck and around the tail of the pet. Works great.

The only downside I found is that the fur becomes fairly thick after using the DE for awhile, so getting a flea comb through was a little tougher. But within a week of using it, fleas were gone.

I order mine online in 5 pound quantities which lasts for a long time.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #1044
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I have used Diatomaceous Earth as a natural flea control many times with great success on both dogs and cats. It is very fine white powder almost like talcum, but is odorless and very easy to use.

DE comes in food grade or garden grade, and the food grade is needed so that it is totally safe to put directly onto the animal. I used a plastic ketchup container I bought at Wal-Mart for 99 cents because it has a cone shaped end that lets you "puff" the powder under the fur next to the skin. The fleas only need to walk through it to be affected, so I used it around the neck and around the tail of the pet. Works great.

The only downside I found is that the fur becomes fairly thick after using the DE for awhile, so getting a flea comb through was a little tougher. But within a week of using it, fleas were gone.

I order mine online in 5 pound quantities which last for a long time.
DE doesn't hurt the cat when they lick themselves and ingest it? Isn't it like finely ground glass?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
DE doesn't hurt the cat when they lick themselves and ingest it? Isn't it like finely ground glass?
It is fine to ingest as long as the food grade DE is used.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #1046

Gumby, sounds like my 2 calicoes that I got a couple years ago. They will get nothing but closer to you as they realize they are safe and loved.

I almost had an unwelcome sharing with an animal tonight. I was down in the lower level and heard some noises upstairs. Thought it was the cats getting into something, and saw they were with me. Headed upstairs and it sounded like someone trying to open my front door. Break-ins are pretty much unheard of in our mountain community. Turned on the light and looked through the side glass to see a bear right up against the door! Yelled and pounded on the door and it hissed at me and slowly ambled off. We've had about a dozen car break-ins on the mountain this spring, and it looks like the bear is moving up to homes. Was not able to get a picture. Maybe it's the same one that's in my avatar. I'm (somewhat) ok with them coming near the house, but no trying to get in!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #1047

Been wanting to make this video for a while. One of our Jack Russell terriers, Ruby, has been blind from SARDS for about 6 years now. My wife had the idea of getting her some Doggles so she wouldn't hurt herself if she ran into a sharp twig in a bush. She is pretty good about walking a straight line by herself.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #1048
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post

I order mine online in 5 pound quantities which lasts for a long time.
+1 I also use a spray solution of cedar oil and water for as natural insect repellent just make sure your pet is not allergic to the oil (even a weak solution works)
Old 05-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #1049
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
Been wanting to make this video for a while. One of our Jack Russell terriers, Ruby, has been blind from SARDS for about 6 years now. My wife had the idea of getting her some Doggles so she wouldn't hurt herself if she ran into a sharp twig in a bush. She is pretty good about walking a straight line by herself.

Great video and neat doggles!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post

Yes - the Doggles look great. Neat video!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #1051
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Love Ruby and her Doggles.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #1052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Love Ruby and her Doggles.
+1 What a great idea.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #1053

One revelation related to her blindness was the realization of how little sight was required for her to navigate. I would put sight at about 30-40% of her use of her senses. Hearing, smell, and touch are all important to navigate. She obviously knew her way around the house but it was amazing to see how well she did on her outside walks. In fact, there was about a week when we couldn't tell if she had lost her sight or not. A retinal scan at the UC Davis Vet School confirmed it.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #1054

Animals are amazing in how they cope and adapt. I thought this was a typo and you meant googles and then I got it. Glad this helps Ruby!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 AM   #1055

There are so many great pictures of pets here. In fact, I like every single one of them! It's the main reason I haven't posted more comments in this thread as I'd just be repeating myself, but animals really are the greatest thing and it's wonderful to see all the pictures that you guys post.

The sun was getting very low in the sky this afternoon and for just a few minutes, there was a very weak golden yellow light cast over my youngest, who has just turned 1 year old. I thought I'd share.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:31 AM   #1056
Recycles dryer sheets

Beautiful cat and photo Major
Old 05-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #1057

Whoa! That is a great shot! Thank you very much for sharing it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #1058

Love that picture, Major Tom!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #1059
Recycles dryer sheets

Two of our three pets. The betta is a new addition. In light of the cat's behavior, we are concerned about the fish' longevity.
image-168387906.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-969348831.jpg (479.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #1060

Oh my gosh - please keep that fish well away form the kitties Snowcat!