Animals we share our lives with

Looks like great fun. I bet the dogs like the shade thing.
My dogs are not so lucky.

Attachments

• Windows Live Photo Gallery Wallpaper.jpg
    Windows Live Photo Gallery Wallpaper.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 33
This guy has been stealing leaves from my oak trees:

Attachments

• fawn.png
    fawn.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Lock and load! Rabbie carrying skunks cannot be too close to humans and pets.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Finally got a pic of our boy 'hiding'....

Attachments

• 2015-08-11 13.09.13.jpg
    2015-08-11 13.09.13.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 32
That's hilarious, Texas Proud. I'm sure he was thinking to himself, "Hehehehe - those humans will never find me here!"

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1439327572.764718.jpg
This fawn grew up on my property. It was fun to watch- especially the day that she got up and was able to leave with her mom, old enough to keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1439327675.414852.jpg

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1439327832.979020.jpg

Roxie and Daisy. Both rescues and hunting dachshunds. They will go down into dens after quarry and love to dig for moles and voles.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

That's hilarious, Texas Proud. I'm sure he was thinking to himself, "Hehehehe - those humans will never find me here!"

Yes, I was thinking the same... he is a scardy cat and will run and 'hide' at times... most of the time he actual hides OK... under beds is his best place... I have been meaning to get a pic of him doing this for awhile...

Used to be that I carried a camera everywhere... Definitely messed up on this one...

Last week at Woodhaven, I took my morning bike ride at sunup, and just a few hundred yards from my place. Middle of the week, so the campground was empty.

I spotted the momma in the bushes near the road. As I always do, stopped to watch, 'cuz where there's one, there's likely to be another. Sure enough, a closer look and I saw her baby... a beautiful fawn, white spots just beginning to fade.

Now, because our campground is so large (6000+ sites) the many deer are used to people, but never get too close. They are territorial, so I recognize some of them. Several years ago, I began speaking to the deer in a soft voice, and I found that this tends to allay their fears. They go ahead grazing, but with a watchful eye.

This time it really paid off, as after few minutes of waiting, the mother, the fawn, and then another fawn came out of the woods, and crossed the road about 20 feet in front of me. No hurry... then into some sparse woods on the other side of the road... in full sight.

You have to be patient. This time it paid off... Again, not twenty feet from the road, another doe... and this time, in a few more minutes, three... count 'em, her three... beautiful fawn... calm as could be...

What beats seeing seven deer close together? Top this....
Momma #1 begins nursing her two fawn, and in another minute, momma #2 begins nursing all three of her babies at the same time.

For me, an amazing ten minutes... not in a preserve, but in the wild... What a privilege, and what a joy to share a few moments of nature.

About six years ago, a doe was hit by a car and ended up with a broken leg, which never healed. Since then, she has been back every year... sometimes with one fawn, sometimes with two... Everyone who has been around for a long time recognizes her, but those who see her for the first time often report the "injured deer" to park security. In truth, probably the most recognized member of our very large community.

Who would have thought that a campground that sees crowds of up to 20.000, would have such a diverse animal population. Racoons, groundhogs, squirrels, rabbits, weasels, otters, chipmonk, beaver, muskrat, deer and a few years ago, some mink. At least 30 to 40 specie of land and water birds.

Most fun part for me, is to see newcomers who ask "Are there any wild animals in the park?"

Last edited:
There hasn't been any action in this thread in 8 months - hope you guys don't mind if I revive it. This is one of 3 gals who live with me in my small studio. She just turned 4 and is about the cutest combination of feisty and lovable that a kitty can have. She sleeps with me every night. I know this might sound a bit kooky, but when I feel the weight and warmth of her little body next to, or on me, I feel a joy spreading throughout me, and I can fully relax for the night's sleep. In the morning when I wake up, she's still there. She's such a good pal.

When she's awake though, she's a little firecracker :LOL:

original.jpg

Not exactly the warm and cuddly kinda of family member, but gets along with the others. Just moved here from SCA

daisy.jpg

grasshopper - how old is he/she?

The last caretaker had the tortoise for 20 years, and it was fairly big when he got her. I understand this to be a female Western Leopard species. Son of a friend moved from Orange County to Montana and didn´t think it would do well there. So she joins an African Spurred, and a Sonoran Desert tortoise in the yard.

The last caretaker had the tortoise for 20 years, and it was fairly big when he got her. I understand this to be a female Western Leopard species. Son of a friend moved from Orange County to Montana and didn´t think it would do well there. So she joins an African Spurred, and a Sonoran Desert tortoise in the yard.
I was wondering because with so many of our animals, we expect to outlive them, but judging by the lifespans of many tortoises, a succession plan (for the owner/caretaker, that is) would seem to be a good idea!

I was wondering because with so many of our animals, we expect to outlive them, but judging by the lifespans of many tortoises, a succession plan (for the owner/caretaker, that is) would seem to be a good idea!

We have arrangements in our wills for all our animals, the Desert tortoise reverts back to Arizona Game & Fish ownership, she´s adopted.

This is my girl Lucy. She was a 3 time shelter dog. Total sweetheart;

19600865329_50b1bacde4_o.jpg

I've lived with dogs since I was 5 years old, don't see that changing any time soon - :)

Tom, your description of your girl is a lot like my calico, May, but she looks more like my sweetest cat, Pancake (yes, found in dumpster of IHOP). May is the best bed sleeper of the bunch, but when awake, a classic cranky calico.

This is Pancake, in her much younger days.

Attachments

• DSC05093.jpg
    DSC05093.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 19
We rescued this cat at the weekend. Found roaming the grounds at The Westin in PV and adopted by a couple in Vancouver.

Attachments

• Amber.JPG
    Amber.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 19
Wow - all beautiful animals. Thanks for helping to revive this thread - I love seeing everyone's animal companions. That's a beautiful and attentive gal, RobbieB. Pancake was a great name for her Sarah - much love for cranky calicos! kcowan - your rescue work helps so many animals. Thank you!

My dogs, a golden and lab, sleep in the same bed with me. The golden is more affectionate than the lab. In fact, my lab is kind of stand offish and that's OK with me, that's who she is.

So, I'm sleeping and my lab gets next to me. I reach out to grab her paws and hold them while I sleep. I didn't realize it, but I had hold of her rear paws. She then took her front paws, surrounds my hand, and then put her head on top.

Oh man, I love her.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, Lucy sleeps with me every night. And this is how we watch TV;

16402938816_6877f2679d_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom