Animals we share our lives with

When he was 10 weeks old, he's 1 1/2 now.
img_1761772_0_a7c7717f2f1c394af1d3f20e4aec9704.jpg

These pics are adorable!

We are on our 3rd housesit. Watching a sweet, extremely well-trained rhodesian ridgeback and 2 adorable kitties. House has incredible water view with gorgeous sunsets.

Attachments

• IMG_20160727_175642.jpg
    IMG_20160727_175642.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20160727_175453.jpg
    IMG_20160727_175453.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20160724_201639.jpg
    IMG_20160724_201639.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 25
SG that's awesome! And on your third, now! Very cool pets and view! Yay for y'all!

Steve is your pup a Bernese Mtn Dog? Handsome fellow!

SG how do you go about finding such assignments?

There are several websites out there that match up petsitters with homeowners. The best ones require you to pay a yearly membership fee as a sitter.

1) housecarers.com (emphasis Australia sits, but definitely has USA sits)
2) trustedhousesitters.com (emphasis Euopean, esp. UK sits, but definitely has other countries including USA sits)

(1) is around $50/yr, (2) is around $100/yr, if I recall correctly. I have a link that gives you 20% off trustedhousesitters and gives me 2 months free, if you are interested. :)

https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/su/YeIIQbZX

I do see a greater variety of sits at the trustedhousesitter site. However I find both sites valuable enough to keep paying membership for both, so far.

I've used other cheaper and free sites, but, you get what you pay for. Lower selection of sits, and also more difficulty searching for what you want.

The most prized sits have lots of competition. You have to work at building your sitting "resume" so that you have good references and experience to show. We found that we obtained better sits by being willing to sit over holidays like Christmas, especially for those who posted last minute - less competition.

After you apply for a position, if the owner is interested in you, you need to interview each other to see if the "fit" is right. As a sitter, you want to make a list of questions to answer for yourself before deciding if you want the sit. For me, the biggest questions are: (1) safety of neighborhood, (2)health of pets, (3) if dog, do they have a bite history and/or are they incessant barkers, (4) cleanliness of house and (5) personality of the owner (watch out for OCD types!)

So worth it to us! It isn't just the cost savings. Half the "fun" of the sit is loving on other's wonderful pets!!! The other part is of course the adventure of exploring a new area and living like a local. We've had fabulous sits so far. Brooklyn, Orlando, and now near Sarasota.

That's a good synopsis of the housesit biz, SG. And as a user of both of those sites to find our housesitters in the past, I can attest to the sometimes agonizing difficulty of choosing between very qualified candidates.
I will say that we don't score quite as high on the cleanliness, but since I knew our last sitters were vegan and clean freaks, I purged the house of dead animals and clutter, plus bought new cleaning supplies and a mop before we left. ;)
The house was the cleanest it has ever been when they left!

Interesting the interviewing and vetting of sitters and sittees. We were skittish about the whole idea but with 3 pets and the fact that we didn't like them in the kennel, no matter how nice, we tried it several years ago. Basically on reference and after quick interview just...went with it. We have two sitters we love, and neither could do an upcoming 10 day. Went back to friend who recommended the first two, and he offered a third. She could only cover about a week, but had a colleague (they work at a pet spa) who could cover other days. We texted, and it was agreed to.

I guess one could say we are getting too nonchalant in these things, agreeing to have someone in the house we've never even met (she will come over week before to meet the kids and get the lay of the land). When you consider all the stuff, documents, valuables accessible to them. However, in the end you're either going to trust a person or not and if they come recommended by a friend that's as good as we can ask for. Lord knows when I interviewed employee applicants I got fooled more than once. So we just our good streak continues.

There are several websites out there that match up petsitters with homeowners. The best ones require you to pay a yearly membership fee as a sitter.

1) housecarers.com (emphasis Australia sits, but definitely has USA sits)
2) trustedhousesitters.com (emphasis Euopean, esp. UK sits, but definitely has other countries including USA sits)

(1) is around $50/yr, (2) is around $100/yr, if I recall correctly. I have a link that gives you 20% off trustedhousesitters and gives me 2 months free, if you are interested. :)

https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/su/YeIIQbZX

I do see a greater variety of sits at the trustedhousesitter site. However I find both sites valuable enough to keep paying membership for both, so far.

I've used other cheaper and free sites, but, you get what you pay for. Lower selection of sits, and also more difficulty searching for what you want.
Thanks. We have done home swaps when we had cats. After 18 years, we are now catless and taking a break from ownership. We have also had several dogs too. The picture you posted made me yearn for "rent-a-pet"!

We just lost our second cat in June. So we will be looking at your recommended sites.

Thanks. We have done home swaps when we had cats. After 18 years, we are now catless and taking a break from ownership. We have also had several dogs too. The picture you posted made me yearn for "rent-a-pet"!

We just lost our second cat in June. So we will be looking at your recommended sites.

I totally understand! So sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty. It is so hard.

Hope you find something of interest! Love the "rent-a-pet" term - perfect! :LOL:

I guess one could say we are getting too nonchalant in these things, agreeing to have someone in the house we've never even met (she will come over week before to meet the kids and get the lay of the land). When you consider all the stuff, documents, valuables accessible to them. However, in the end you're either going to trust a person or not and if they come recommended by a friend that's as good as we can ask for. Lord knows when I interviewed employee applicants I got fooled more than once. So we just our good streak continues.

We've been lucky in getting 2 great sitters for our kitty, too, so far. We do lock up all important files, and we just don't have a ton of expensive stuff to be ruined. Knock on wood our lucky streak continues as well. I do check references extensively!

I have had excellent results with pet sitters. Way better than kennels. 2 to 3 visits a day, feeding, walking and loving.

Just an update. It's been about 2.5 months since we adopted Flash. She's been doing her job of making sure I get my daily exercise. She really lets you know that it's time for another walk.

According to the tracker in my phone, in that time we've walked the equivalent distance from Edmonton, AB to Helena, MT, (just over 500 miles) and I've lost 17 pounds.

Attachments

• IMG_20160515_090549769_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160515_090549769_HDR.jpg
    612.8 KB · Views: 22
Skittles rocking the mortarboard during his graduation "ceremony" from Dog Manners 2. We start pet therapy training next week.

Frame-31-08-2016-01-33-18.jpg

This is my girlfriend's dog who stays here a lot;

29221349360_4401fc6295.jpg

As you can see she is really nervous and worried about her surroundings - :)

Hehe, yeah, they (mine & hers) both got a taste!

The dogs always get a little (not much, just a little) of what we've been eating. And that's lobster & caviar too - :)

Couple of spoiled shelter dogs for sure. But hey, they were shelter dogs and now they are living the good life!

Yup, from living in cages in shelters as well as the "mean streets" (Lucy, mine, the black one) to eating well and couch snoozing in their "forever homes" with lots of love;

29054923674_8043a2636d_z.jpg

It's good to live with dogs - :)

Never met an animal yet that didn't know what a couch was for! :D

Robbie, the dog on the couch on the right looks just like my huskie/shephard mix and he is the sweetest dog ever. Is that dog the same kind? Both babies look very happy:))

Bed you say? Don't speak twice!

24337471476_78c5827193_o.jpg

Terry, we didn't do a DNA on Juno (the Husky) but we think she is almost pure Siberian Husky. Lucy is 50% AmStaff, 25% Greyhound and 25% Rottweiler. I'm going to get a "doggy DNA" test for her and we'll find out.

Back
Top Bottom