Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #1121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's a shot of our new baby girl. She is a Vizsla, an all around hunting dog. They both point and retrieve. She is 11 weeks old, and it has been really cool watching her point the chickadees in our yard when I take her out in the morning. We've had her only 3 days, but she sticks to me like Velcro. I don't hunt (yet...I'm retired, so I may try my hand at it eventually).

R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-31438956.jpg (539.7 KB, 13 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #1122

Another pic of Hannah.

R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1541745202.jpg (546.0 KB, 14 views)

Old 09-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #1123
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love that hound face! Really adorable!
Old 09-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #1124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post

I picked her up from the animal shelter this last week! She's about 2 years old and 9 pounds. She's separated from my cats because of her upper respiratory infection. I've named her Kiki.
What a sweetie. I love little dogs.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #1125

Well Miss Molly or anybody else who lives in an area where maybe there aren't that many little dogs, try Southern California shelters. I just went to the Riverside Animal Shelter website and they have a lot of good looking little dogs. The last time I looked there were 90 dogs now there are 130. That's just in the last day or two. They had a huge push to adopt as many dogs as possible within the last 3 months. There was a contest with the ASPCA nation wide. They really went to the mat! I wasn't aware of this before I casually walked in there looking for a few hens.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #1126

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
What a sweetie. I love little dogs.
Hooray for Kiki. I just love her little face. She knows she's got it made now.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #1127

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
Well Miss Molly or anybody else who lives in an area where maybe there aren't that many little dogs, try Southern California shelters. I just went to the Riverside Animal Shelter website and they have a lot of good looking little dogs. The last time I looked there were 90 dogs now there are 130. That's just in the last day or two. They had a huge push to adopt as many dogs as possible within the last 3 months. There was a contest with the ASPCA nation wide. They really went to the mat! I wasn't aware of this before I casually walked in there looking for a few hens.
For those in SoCal, I just read that the Bakersfield Animal Shelter is going to close and has LOTS of animals to move out. We fostered a rescue beagle from there last year.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Here's a shot of our new baby girl. She is a Vizsla, an all around hunting dog. They both point and retrieve. She is 11 weeks old, and it has been really cool watching her point the chickadees in our yard when I take her out in the morning. We've had her only 3 days, but she sticks to me like Velcro. I don't hunt (yet...I'm retired, so I may try my hand at it eventually).

R
That is a beautiful pup. I've never seen a Vizsla before. Is this a breed that you've had before?
Old 09-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #1129

This is our first Vizsla. They are pretty rare around where we live. We drove nearly 500 miles each way to meet and adopt her. Our vet says he's only seen 5 of them.

Why we got the Vizsla: 1) I wanted a dog large than DW's Boston Terrier to accompany me on hikes and runs and just piddling in our two acre yard. 2) DW didn't want a big, smelly, shedding dog such as a lab or golden retriever. 3) Female Vizslas average 40-45 pounds...much smaller than the bigger retrievers. 4) vizslas are relatively clean dogs...not odorless, but free of the nastier odors. They are catlike in that they tend to clean themselves. 5) they are loving and loyal, stick to you like Velcro...too much for some people. 6) their hair is very short and while not shed free, they shed much less than other retriever dogs.

The negatives: 1) they are high energy...will my energy level be able to cope with keeping her properly exercised so that she does not become bored or destructive? 2) there are times when you need a dog to take a time out so you can, for example, mow the lawn on a riding mower. When not running, hiking, walking, or hunting with you, their favorite place is on top of you. So far, our Hannah howls in protest when put in her crate or the kennel outside. But, she's only 11 weeks old and was just taken from her parents and siblings...so we'll see if she calms a little over the next few weeks.

I saw my first Vizsla two years ago on a camping trip. She was a beautiful dog, so I stopped to chat with her human mom. Some of the above was explained to me, and the rest I researched. The more I researched, the more I wanted to add one to our family. So far, so good.

R
Old 09-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #1130

Rambler,

She is just ADORABLE.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #1131
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pictures from todays hike with my best bud.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #1132
Administrator

This past weekend, 5 months after we got her from the shelter, our grey and white cat finally decided that it would be okay after all if she was a lap cat. The young wife was thrilled.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #1133

Awww, great photos of the dawg, dawg!
And congrats on the lap cat promotion at your house.
My adoptees sometimes have taken a while to warm up to us, too.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #1134
Recycles dryer sheets

Here are 2 pics of our beloved Tibetan Terrier rescue, Dalai, pre and post haircut. Dalai is about 5. And one pic of my departed Airedale, Rush, who I give credit for many years of sanity in my life. She lived to 12 years. Thank God for dogs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2285.JPG (193.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1039.jpg (776.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg resize.JPG (163.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #1135
Moderator Emeritus

I love this photo of DH on patrol with our and DS's dogs helping him

ForumRunner_20130918_095952.png

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #1136

I love animals and have discussed our before, the two Chihuahua's and the African Gray parrot. Yesterday, my wife showed me a picture of the horse that was named "the most beautiful horse in the world". It's from Turkey and is indeed the most beautiful horse I've ever seen. Wish I knew how to link you to the site, but I just went to Google and typed in "The most beautiful Horse in the world" and there it was. Do yourself a favor and check this out.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #1137

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I love animals and have discussed our before, the two Chihuahua's and the African Gray parrot. Yesterday, my wife showed me a picture of the horse that was named "the most beautiful horse in the world". It's from Turkey and is indeed the most beautiful horse I've ever seen. Wish I knew how to link you to the site, but I just went to Google and typed in "The most beautiful Horse in the world" and there it was. Do yourself a favor and check this out.
I did, beautiful horse. But there was a floating add below it, for Chic-fil-a. I know how internet ads work, ironic.

MRG
Old 09-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #1138

Here's a link to the picture -
This horse from Turkey was announced the most beautiful horse in the world - Imgur
Old 09-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #1139
Moderator Emeritus

My calico basking in the afternoon sun:
Old 09-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Most Beautiful Horse in the World Image From HoaxSlayer

The horse is an Akhal Teke, native to Turkmenistan (not Turkey) but spread across Central Asia. Some have the golden hued coat pattern shown in the photo, and some are more ordinary colors. A very pretty horse, for sure.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote