Animals we share our lives with

She has been a great traveling dog.. we set her doggie bed on top of the travel bags in the back of the SUV. She climbs back there and mostly sleeps and occasionally begs for affection and food. (When we stop for burgers she gets one too.) But at 11 years old the climbing into the back isn’t as smooth as it once was. Those legs have lost their zip and the eyes are not as keen. At this point there will be no doggie day care or vet boarding. Every time we’ve tried boarding she’s gotten very ill (and cost $100s). I am certain if we boarded her it would be a one way trip. The trip down to Florida was an uneventful 17 hours. I think this old dog (me) has become a worse traveler then her. My knees don’t like being confined for that long and these old eyes just get tired.

I was surprised that the in laws invite included “Dusty can come”. It was the first time seeing their new retirement Florida home and it was simply spectacular: Granite, 10 foot ceilings crown moldings, Huge hurricane sliders looking out on the pool/hot tub combo and oh the stonework ...my god. It isnt a giant space like the other sister-in-laws but it is simply beautiful. It was dark when we arrived - the patio space was dimly lit in what ill call mood lighting. The dog came into the home and was sniffing but still behaving. That was until she fell into the pool. Panic ensued, shouting, carrying on etc - It wasn’t pretty. Finally my college freshman son yanked the dog to the walk out area. Towels were found and the pooch dried. Later that night she got stuck on the narrow ledge and had to be retrieved.

The next 2 days were tuff on the pooch.. Doggie shock - I kid you not. No eating, lethargy, fever - I though this might end up being a one way trip. Well the old gal rallied and is presently sleeping on the couch in good spirits and back to her old self.

I cant help but wonder how I would fare had I fallen into that unheated pool. IMG_0249.JPG

Last edited:
My husband and I have had a long history of cats, usually more than one at a time. Our last one died in April 2016 at age 20. We talked about getting another cat but I've always wanted to try having a dog. My husband had dogs when he was a kid so he knows what it takes.

Last Friday we took the plunge and adopted a dog from a local Humane Society here in Ohio. They thought that she is a 4 year old terrier and husky mix. She was picked up as a stray in Tennessee in October and transported to Ohio a few weeks ago. She was already spayed and is very well mannered and socialized so I'm thinking she had a family at some point.

The shelter usually charges $125 for an adoption but they have a program for seniors who adopt a dog over 3 yrs old so it only cost us $15! That includes all the vaccinations and a microchip.

This is the beginning of a wonderful new adventure for us!

Attachments

• 24296407_10105224542601750_143725351857858961_n.jpg
    24296407_10105224542601750_143725351857858961_n.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 47
  • fullsizeoutput_33b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_33b.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 51
  • fullsizeoutput_33d.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_33d.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
My husband and I have had a long history of cats, usually more than one at a time. Our last one died in April 2016 at age 20. We talked about getting another cat but I've always wanted to try having a dog. My husband had dogs when he was a kid so he knows what it takes.

Last Friday we took the plunge and adopted a dog from a local Humane Society here in Ohio. They thought that she is a 4 year old terrier and husky mix. She was picked up as a stray in Tennessee in October and transported to Ohio a few weeks ago. She was already spayed and is very well mannered and socialized so I'm thinking she had a family at some point.

The shelter usually charges $125 for an adoption but they have a program for seniors who adopt a dog over 3 yrs old so it only cost us $15! That includes all the vaccinations and a microchip.

Congrats on your new addition!

IMG_3863.JPG

Here’s Roxie my smooth coat dachshund at a scent work trial. This was the vehicle search- three vehicles, lots of wind, 3 minutes. As you can see she’s found the source of the odor (birch) and right after this photo was taken she alerted me by sitting and looking at me.

She earned her NW1 title that day

Very cute! I have enjoyed having a dog far more than my cats. You can take them with you in the car easily and they are not shy about showing you that their world revolves around you. I love dogs!! Have fun. [emoji240][emoji177]

View attachment 27301

Here’s Roxie my smooth coat dachshund at a scent work trial. This was the vehicle search- three vehicles, lots of wind, 3 minutes. As you can see she’s found the source of the odor (birch) and right after this photo was taken she alerted me by sitting and looking at me.

She earned her NW1 title that day

Congratulations to you & Roxie!

She's a beauty! :cool:

Looks like love at first lick! 😘🐶

Looks like love at first lick! ����

Today, it's a week since we adopted her. She is a delight, but we had to get past a few issues.

The first few days she would not leave the carpeted living room. She seemed afraid of the wood floors in the dining room which leads to the linoleum in the kitchen. So we started her off in the living room only. Over a few days time, using incremental changes, treats and praise she is now fully utilizing all the first floor rooms, kitchen, dining room, living room and 2 bedrooms. It took a few days but she is eating in the far corner of the kitchen, which is where I wanted her dishes to go.

Our next hurdle will be getting her to go out the sliding glass door in the kitchen that opens to the deck and steps to the FENCED IN YARD!

What worked so well in the kitchen is that we put down a simple carpet runner. We thought that she was sliding and didn't like that and the runner solved the issue. It's still there for now but that is temporary since it seems to be a tripping hazard for us 62 year olds.

She doesn't like steps and hasn't gone upstairs to DHs office or downstairs to the basement. Maybe she has a previous issue with steps?? Going out the front door for walks she uses a few steps but she had to get over a fear the first couple of times.

So we are going to try putting the carpet runner out the sliding glass door to the deck and have treats outside. Or something along those lines. We have to be able to get her out the door to the yard!

Overall, she has made great progress in the first week. She seems to like us and it's mutual. She's very attached to DH as he is the one that takes her out the front door and around the block first thing in the morning. She's attached to me for snuggles and warmth on the couch.

I'm thinking all three of us may need some leash training. When she doesn't want to do something she puts her head down and refuses and pulls backward and can almost get out of her collar which is scary. We will work on that one.

Today, it's a week since we adopted her. She is a delight, but we had to get past a few issues.

The first few days she would not leave the carpeted living room. She seemed afraid of the wood floors in the dining room which leads to the linoleum in the kitchen. So we started her off in the living room only. Over a few days time, using incremental changes, treats and praise she is now fully utilizing all the first floor rooms, kitchen, dining room, living room and 2 bedrooms. It took a few days but she is eating in the far corner of the kitchen, which is where I wanted her dishes to go.

Our next hurdle will be getting her to go out the sliding glass door in the kitchen that opens to the deck and steps to the FENCED IN YARD!

What worked so well in the kitchen is that we put down a simple carpet runner. We thought that she was sliding and didn't like that and the runner solved the issue. It's still there for now but that is temporary since it seems to be a tripping hazard for us 62 year olds.

She doesn't like steps and hasn't gone upstairs to DHs office or downstairs to the basement. Maybe she has a previous issue with steps?? Going out the front door for walks she uses a few steps but she had to get over a fear the first couple of times.

So we are going to try putting the carpet runner out the sliding glass door to the deck and have treats outside. Or something along those lines. We have to be able to get her out the door to the yard!

Overall, she has made great progress in the first week. She seems to like us and it's mutual. She's very attached to DH as he is the one that takes her out the front door and around the block first thing in the morning. She's attached to me for snuggles and warmth on the couch.

I'm thinking all three of us may need some leash training. When she doesn't want to do something she puts her head down and refuses and pulls backward and can almost get out of her collar which is scary. We will work on that one.

Our rescue dog was not leash trained (actually not trained at all). We got a harness for him for walking since we walk several times a day.

Update on Talia -

It's been a few months now and while she is a delight about 90% of the time, we are having an issue and I thought I'd see if any of you have a hint or two.

Within a few days of getting the carpet runner she learned to use the sliding glass door out to the deck. She mastered the steps to the yard and LOVES THE YARD!!! We were so thrilled to see her out there, she even loved it in the bitter cold and snow. She runs, she plays with sticks, she waits for the neighbor dog to come out and sometimes she just sits and watches the birds. She wants to stay out so long that we set a timer in the kitchen to remind us to check on her. On a rare sunny day she slept out on the deck in the sun. Happy girl, very adjusted to us.

She rarely barks, usually it's if someone comes to the door or if she can see a dog passing by the house. Often she runs to the front window to see what's going on outside but she is calm.

In the house she is playful and loves her toys and bed. She doesn't drink from the toilet or get into the garbage or destroy things which is great. We've left her alone a few times and I think she slept most of the time. Really, no behavior issues inside. Very well housebroken, no bathroom accidents!

I mentioned earlier about pulling on the leash when going for a walk. We looked into harnesses and DH's sister recommended the Walk In Sync https://www.dogwalkinsync.com/ harness and leash. We've had a it a few weeks and she (and we) do well with it. We take her on short walks and she learned quickly not to pull and she gets lots of "good girl!" praise.

Now, here is the issue we are having. She walks well with the harness until she sees a distraction. Things like a car driving by or the mailman or a bicycle get her completely rattled and she jumps and pulls and twists. I try to keep her under control until the distraction passes but she is very strong. She has almost knocked me over a few times and while I've stayed upright she is wildy jumping and pulling. Once the distraction is gone she calms down enough to resume walking.

Today was awful! I took her for a short walk down the block and she saw a person walking toward us, 3 houses away. I tried to turn around and head home and she was uncontrollable, wrapped around me and jumping. Just bonkers! As the person walked toward us I walked up someone's driveway and held her as close as I could and asked the pedestrian to pass us. After they walked ahead a few houses I could finally get her under control.

By the time we got home I was in tears, and very angry. She is such a wonderful dog in the house and in the yard. And we've seen a lot of progress using the harness on walks. This out of control behavior with distractions, especially people, is intolerable.

So I'm looking for a few suggestions. Anyone have a training system (website, book, videos) to address this? I don't think she's trying to attack a person outside, but I'm sure it looks like a crazy dog and clueless owner to a person on the sidewalk.

We want to be able to take her for walks and maybe to a dog park when the weather gets nice. Also, DHs elderly mom lives out of town and if we need to leave the dog to travel I don't know if a boarding kennel would take her.

We are so pleased with her most of the time but this is an issue we need to fix, and soon.

Last edited:
Train her to sit, and put her in sit (extended sit if necessary) as soon as you see a potential distraction.

Train her to sit, and put her in sit (extended sit if necessary) as soon as you see a potential distraction.

this..

do it in the yard first. Walk, then ask Talia to sit. Give (small) treat. I guess first is she food motivated? This will help a lot if she is. Then move to the sidewalk. Maybe have your husband or a neighbor practice out in the wild. extending the time to sit and the different interactions (cars/dogs/cats/children in strollers)

Is Talia jumping around because she is excited? Or nervous? Angry? Talia can feel your energy. Exude peace & happiness and talia will feed off it. Show nervousness & Talia will wonder why this pedestrian is making "us" nervous. Sometimes just putting a hand on her can mute her nervousness. Watch the Dog Whisperer on Saturday mornings.

Just went back up & saw your dog is part Terrier. IIRC they take a lot of exercise. Possibly several miles a day. Perhaps some yard time prior to going out. Maybe some fetch & return time. With a treat of course. Get her a bit tired before going out to meet the world

Last edited:
I agree with the previous poster's suggestions, more or less, but first I need to know what motivates her. Is she food motivated? Hopefully so.

I have had and trained dogs for the the last 33 years. And one of the two we have now is fear aggressive. Loves most people, but other dogs, of any size (she is about 45 lbs of pure bred mutt) she want's to charge and try to bully. We hike off leash often in conservation areas and her recall is very good, but if I see ANY animal, and even another person because she has charge a few people also. We have had her for 3 years now and have made some progress.

So the trick is making sure you have something with you on your walks that motivates Talia. And, make sure you relate a word with it always that will mean "look at me, you will get a treat". We use "checkit!" (like she needs to check her fear). *Most of the time*, she immediately looks at me in anticipation.

If Talia is only/especially motivated by "high value" treats like meats and cheeses, use those and pick a command.

So the trick is to, when you see someone or a dog coming and you know Talia is going to react, say your command, hold the treat high above her and if possible, position your body between her and the distraction. Hold the treat high above her and wait a few seconds, keeping her focus on you, then give the treat. Do it again immediately over and over, until the distraction passes. The idea is to focus her attention on you, and not the distraction. Yes, you will use a lot of treats, cut them into very small pieces.

As someone pointed out too, very important, start practicing this at home, before you go out amid distractions. Say the command, hold the treat high above for 2-3 seconds, then give it to her. Repeat often and try to get the "gaze at me" time longer each time.

I know how challenging this is. Our little booger is a street rescue and just has some bad behaviors. They take a LONG time to correct. Again, divert her attention (hopefully) before she sees the distraction, and train her to hold her gaze to you until it passes. Good luck...

If you haven't tried it yet, look into getting what's called a "gentle lead". It's not a harness for their body, but a lead that goes around their nose (like a horse). Our trainer recommended one for our dog, who was pretty uncontrollable whenever she saw another dog or person on a walk.

What a difference it made! She hated wearing in, but she quickly learned to behave. We rarely use it anymore. If she does start misbehaving, all I have to do is mention it, and she stops.

Best thing we ever bought.

Help with new dog

We just got this large, funny looking dog from the pound and it's been hell teaching him not to eat the garden plants. Any advice?

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 31
We just got this large, funny looking dog from the pound and it's been hell teaching him not to eat the garden plants. Any advice?

Plant some weeds. We had a family of six in our front yard the other day munching on our oxalis. It was too funny to watch with the weeds hanging out of their mouths. Unfortunately, we have a lot of oxalis :LOL:.

Back
Top Bottom