Animals we share our lives with

Several years ago a pack of three Javelinas attacked my old lab in our back yard. Cut her up really badly and cost me $600 in vet bills. I got one of them with a 22 pistol (it was dark and the fact I hit one was nothing but luck). The remaining two came back a few weeks later and tried it again, but this time I was ready for them with a 12-gauge.

But they're so cute! Just look at Westernskies' photo, and ask yourself, "Could I shoot this sweet little creature dead?" :LOL: He looks adorable, like something out of Alice in Wonderland. Looking at that photo, it's impossible to imagine one attacking a dog. I could imagine a toddler hugging it in the parlor.

(caveat - - Never saw a javelina in the wild)

Last edited:
But they're so cute! Just look at Westernskies' photo, and ask yourself, "Could I shoot this sweet little creature dead?" :LOL: He looks adorable, like something out of Alice in Wonderland. Looking at that photo, it's impossible to imagine one attacking a dog.

(caveat - - Never saw a javelina in the wild)
The do look cute, don't they?

What you aren't seeing are the tusks in their jaws (taxidermy photos below). They used these to rip and tear the underbelly of my poor dog - the vet counted 11 puncture wounds, some three inches across. :nonono:

Attachments

• Jawbones.jpg
    Jawbones.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

What you aren't seeing are the tusks in their lower jaws (taxidermy photos below). They used these to rip and tear the underbelly of my poor dog - the vet counted 11 puncture wounds, some three inches across. :nonono:

Your poor dog.:( She's lucky to have survived the attack. She's even more lucky to have you looking out for her.

Several years ago a pack of three Javelinas attacked my old lab in our back yard. Cut her up really badly and cost me $600 in vet bills. I got one of them with a 22 pistol (it was dark and the fact I hit one was nothing but luck). The remaining two came back a few weeks later and tried it again, but this time I was ready for them with a 12-gauge.

Who's the other guy? :LOL:

Attachments

• rewahoo,javelina hunter.jpg
    rewahoo,javelina hunter.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 163

Were they tasty?

What you aren't seeing are the tusks in their jaws (taxidermy photos below). They used these to rip and tear the underbelly of my poor dog - the vet counted 11 puncture wounds, some three inches across. :nonono:

Yikes!! Their cute appearances are very deceiving, it appears! :hide: :eek:

I like the high heels on the rear legs.

attachment.php

The remaining two came back a few weeks later and tried it again, but this time I was ready for them with a 12-gauge.
But they're so cute! Just look at Westernskies' photo, and ask yourself, "Could I shoot this sweet little creature dead?" :LOL: He looks adorable, like something out of Alice in Wonderland. Looking at that photo, it's impossible to imagine one attacking a dog. I could imagine a toddler hugging it in the parlor.
They do look cute, don't they?
"Javelina: it's what's for dinner."

Maybe the gamy part wouldn't matter to your dogs' palates... I wonder if they'd learn to associate the smell in their dinner dish with the smell of the critters messing with the vegetation out there in the yard?

3 coyotes walking on my steet last week and now Javelinas? Forgedaboutit...it's scary.

My neighbor's kitty has learnt that I am a secondary source of food and shelter. This particular day, she had decided to help me with some production work:

131573917.jpg

We've had a moose wander through town, looked like an episode of Northern Exposure. A few years ago a black bear came through following the river, he went through my back yard.

My neighbor's kitty has learnt that I am a secondary source of food and shelter. This particular day, she had decided to help me with some production work:

131573917.jpg

Dayam smart cat that one.

Here's my boy, Toby, out on our pontoon boat last summer. Isn't he a handsome dude? We got him at the animal shelter about 2 1/2 years ago now. He appears to be a purebred yellow lab.....not sure why he was there, but we're glad we found him. I have "trained" him to expect a long walk every morning, so now we have to go daily, regardless of weather or anything else. So, he's my fitness trainer in retirement, and he's doing a good job, ha :)

Attachments

• toby_pontoon.jpg
    toby_pontoon.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 5
Here's my boy, Toby, out on our pontoon boat last summer. Isn't he a handsome dude? We got him at the animal shelter about 2 1/2 years ago now. He appears to be a purebred yellow lab.....not sure why he was there, but we're glad we found him. I have "trained" him to expect a long walk every morning, so now we have to go daily, regardless of weather or anything else. So, he's my fitness trainer in retirement, and he's doing a good job, ha :)

He's a beautiful boy. I love hearing stories about good adoptions from the local animal shelter. Many who end up at shelters are good pets and were given up because their humans could not care for them any more - particulary these days with so many people facing financial problems.

Caught this guy eating my landscaping yesterday AM...

Did a bunch of tree work on a mesquite down south and bought a clay chiminea at a yard sale. Rigged a coat hanger to dangle a line of pork shoulder chunks down in the throat of the chiminea. Built a smoky fire with green mesquite - outstanding! 'Bout the best pork I've ever had. Might let Mr. Javelina know he could be what's for dinner...

Purr--I have one of each of those! My calico is a crazy thing and my orange tabby is the old man of the crowd. Very cute!

Purr--I have one of each of those! My calico is a crazy thing and my orange tabby is the old man of the crowd. Very cute!

Over the years I've learned calicos are almost always crazy little things and orange tabby boys are amost always sweet old souls. I love 'em all:flowers:

Really need help. MUST GO!!!

Please help! After two long years of being on a waiting list for a dog, we have been notified by breed rescue that, at long last, our number has come up and ... WE ARE HAVING A PUPPY!
We must get rid of our children IMMEDIATELY because we just know how time consuming our new little puppy is going to be and it just wouldn't be fair to the children. Since our little puppy will be arriving on Monday we MUST place the children up for adoption this weekend!
They are described as:
One male -- his name is Tommy, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), light blonde hair, blue eyes. Four years old. Excellent disposition. He doesn't bite. Temperament tested. Does have problems with peeing directly in the toilet. Has had chicken Pox and is current on all shots. Tonsils have already been removed. Tommy eats everything, is very clean, house trained and gets along well with others. Does not run with scissors and with a little training he should be able to read soon.
One female -- her name is Lexie, Caucasian (English/Irish mix), strawberry blonde hair, green eyes quite freckled. Two years old. Can be surly at times. Non-biter, thumb sucker. Has been temperament tested but needs a little attitude adjusting occasionally. She is current on all shots, tonsils out, and is very healthy and can be affectionate. Gets along well with other
little girls and little boys but does not like to share her toys and
therefore would do best in a one child household. She is a very quick learner and is currently working on her house training. Shouldn't take long at all.
We really do LOVE our children so much and want to do what's right for them. That is why we contacted a rescue group. But we simply can no longer keep them. Also, we are afraid that they may hurt our new puppy.
I hope you understand that ours is a UNIQUE situation and we have a real emergency here! They MUST be placed into your rescue by Sunday night at the latest or we will be forced to drop them off at the orphanage or along some dark, country road. Our priority now has to be our new puppy.

Here's the cat version. If I had a dollar for every time these same lame excuses have been given, I could have ERed many years earlier - or never had to work in the first place. Especially the one that goes "it's not my cat, it's a stray....that I've had for 2 years since it was a kitten."

YouTube - Feline Shelter Humor

Back
Top Bottom