Animals we share our lives with

So, with my last day of work coming up on Tuesday, I thought it was time to get a new friend. Meet Cosmo! He's a 3-year old, originally rescued from the streets of Baltimore (thus the tipped ear). He was adopted out by a rescue group 2 years ago, and recently returned due to "domestic problems". He's a big ole' sweetie! He come home with us yesterday, and is confined to my study. Murphy (in my profile pic) hisses at him through the glass-paneled door, and Cosmo just looks back at her.

We've lost 2 cats in the past 2 years, and the remaining cats are 14 & 16. I thought it was time for a new generation...

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 8
So, with my last day of work coming up on Tuesday, I thought it was time to get a new friend. Meet Cosmo! He's a 3-year old, originally rescued from the streets of Baltimore (thus the tipped ear). He was adopted out by a rescue group 2 years ago, and recently returned due to "domestic problems". He's a big ole' sweetie! He come home with us yesterday, and is confined to my study. Murphy (in my profile pic) hisses at him through the glass-paneled door, and Cosmo just looks back at her.

We've lost 2 cats in the past 2 years, and the remaining cats are 14 & 16. I thought it was time for a new generation...
He's beautiful cj and I'm glad that this former street kitty can now count on a good permanent home. Makes me feel happy!

Thanks for adopting an adult rescue kitty! We share our lives with four kitties - all rescues. One is a big buff tabby boy similiar to your Cosmo.

Ah, a new kitty now that's the way to welcome in retirement! :)

Yes, Purron, all of our cats are from shelters, too. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Deaf Boston

Here's my Deaf 7yr old Boston Terrier from the Local Rescue.

Guests are surprised in disbelief to know that such a playful dog could be deaf from birth. He does not miss a beat & is very active.

Attachments

• 025_25.JPG
    025_25.JPG
    469 KB · Views: 6
  • Scan10048.jpg
    Scan10048.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 5
He's so cute! We love our shelter dogs. In fact, my husband at this very moment is helping the local dog shelter at their adoption day event.

Attachments

• shelter mutts 1.gif
    shelter mutts 1.gif
    47.8 KB · Views: 18
  • shelter mutts 2.gif
    shelter mutts 2.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 14
  • shelter mutts 3.jpg
    shelter mutts 3.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 225
  • shelter mutts 4.jpg
    shelter mutts 4.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 12
  • shelter mutts 5.jpg
    shelter mutts 5.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 226
And a couple for the dogs and bunnies...
Today, being Easter, I thought of Nord's bunny Peter. RIP sweet boy. You were a lucky little bun-bun.

Attachments

• shelter mutts 6.jpg
    shelter mutts 6.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 224
  • shelter mutts 7.jpg
    shelter mutts 7.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 224

How wonderful! We have adopted similar kitties with tipped ears - part of the TNR (trap-neuter-return) program (a great program for managing feral cats).

Yup, simple girl - though someone clearly mistook Cosmo for "feral". He obviously is not! My neighbor rescued a cat from Best Friends in Utah - she lived out west at the time. Rufus also has a tipped ear, and he's the best head-butter in the business.

Yup, simple girl - though someone clearly mistook Cosmo for "feral". He obviously is not! My neighbor rescued a cat from Best Friends in Utah - she lived out west at the time. Rufus also has a tipped ear, and he's the best head-butter in the business.

I've done volunteer work for years at our shelter. It's not uncommon for people to mistake "fearful" for "feral".

Here's my Deaf 7yr old Boston Terrier from the Local Rescue.

Guests are surprised in disbelief to know that such a playful dog could be deaf from birth. He does not miss a beat & is very active.

Beautiful, dear little dog. I had a deaf kitty as a child. She responded to me tapping my foot on the floor and would come runnin' for luvin'. Makes my heart happy to see people willing to adopt pets who are not perfect. Sometimes the not so perfect ones are the best ever. It's like they realize you've truly saved them - and in return give you the most perfect love.

This is Spooky, who came to us from the Humane Society about 8 years ago. Our last dog (since died), also from the Humane Society, picked Spooky out for us.
5650673275_366d3bcb6f_z.jpg

Purron, your current avatar of Eddie reminds me of my old Blue boy's hot, damn hot pose:

Eddie is considerably more svelte however..

Attachments

• hot.jpg
    hot.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 6
And a couple for the dogs and bunnies...
Today, being Easter, I thought of Nord's bunny Peter. RIP sweet boy. You were a lucky little bun-bun.
We think he was a 2001 Easter bunny who was neglected and eventually escaped to the streets of Waimanalo. When we found him at the Humane Society in Jan 2002, he was still a teen bunny at not quite full growth. He was probably a year old for the picture by the vase.

By 2010 he was taking afternoon naps while keeping an eye on me. As long as the keyboard was tapping, he'd be napping. It was really hard to get a good picture, so I'd literally make keyboard sounds with one hand while aiming & focusing the camera with the other...

Attachments

• Peter rabbit relaxing.jpg
    Peter rabbit relaxing.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Just waking up.JPG
    Just waking up.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 6
This is Spooky, who came to us from the Humane Society about 8 years ago. Our last dog (since died), also from the Humane Society, picked Spooky out for us.
5650673275_366d3bcb6f_z.jpg

Spooky looks exactly like an older brother to my two year old mixed breed hound, Peavey. His mother is a mixed breed beagle, but his father must have been a full blooded Walker hound, because that is what he looks like.

So many lovely animals!

We also have deaf dog. He was a cocker spaniel who we got 13 years ago for my parents, my dad in particular. My mom died in 2006 and then he was companion to my dad until he passed away a year ago. So we have Tex back with us now. He has been deaf for many years and responds very well to hand signals. He is the most good natured dog we've had.

We also have a rat terrier/chihuahua cross from the pound and a big black dog from the dog shelter. My husband said BBG's (big black dogs) are the last to be adopted, so that's why we chose him.

Our other rat terrier (from a rescue) and our other cat (from the pound) died this past year. So my cat has taken to sleeping with our little dog. I've never seen cats and dogs do this, but they are fast friends.

Spooky looks exactly like an older brother to my two year old mixed breed hound, Peavey. His mother is a mixed breed beagle, but his father must have been a full blooded Walker hound, because that is what he looks like.
I don't know much about dog breeds, but my wife thinks beagle + Walker hound is the most plausible guess for our dog. By the way, our neighbor in Waimanalo kept rabbits sometime in the late 90s -- maybe we saw Peter there.

Back
Top Bottom