Animals we share our lives with

And one more thing,

Our friends do not have to remember our deaf Boston's name. They can call our Toby anything he will come to them happily, as long as he can see them calling him. That usually brings out a chuckle from them.

Toby is always happy & wants to play Fetch 24/7 with no matter who throws the ball. Funny how a deaf shelter dog teaches every one to keep smiling & playing no matter what life throws at us.

Dogs teach us to be human & how to love one another

DD has had a tarantula for years. I do not see the attraction.

This guy was outside our house the other day.

img_1067422_0_e3a0bf4249666b5c9ff33b4c46ffc540.jpg

It's the only rabbit I've ever seen here.

That ultimate dog tease is the funniest thing I've seen in forever. We have a friend who just cannot stop watching it. The voice of the dog he uses...hilarious!

I don't have a picture readily available, but DH and I befriended (or rather, befriended us) a beautiful male Raven we named Sporty. He/We lived together for about 10 years, obviously he outside. But, he sat on our deck rail for hours, pecked at our window, flew alongside our car when we were arriving home. He had a mate who perched in the tree but never came near. When Sporty died (or was killed which we suspected), his mate continued to wait in the tree, then finally left. Losing Sporty was like losing a beloved dog. We mourned. It was years ago, but writing about him still makes me sad.

The quality is poor because I used my camera phone and it was dusk, but I heard and then saw a mother bear and 3 cute little cubs right behind my desk 2 nights ago. They took a break and then started walking up the hill. We have a real problem with house break-ins by bears so I yelled at them to discourage them, and they turned around and went downhill, into the nature preserve in the gorge below me.

7835-albums98-picture660.jpg

On the inside, I posted a picture of my two adopted cats (sisters) on another thread, but they are both finally coming out of their shell. I first kept them confined to my bedroom/bathroom, then the upstairs, and now they finally have run of the house. They must never have been in a multi-level house because they had some problems figuring out how to get back upstairs at first. Sometimes when they are on different floors, one will start yowling and the other will answer back until they find each other. It's not always easy because the loft makes their voices carry on a path they can't follow.

How extremely cool, Running Bum, both the pic of the bears and the cats finally coming out of their shells.
But I must say that line about the bear break-ins startled me! Yikes!

Two years ago, I heard that there were 35 bear break-ins in the state of Virginia, and 31 of them were in our mountain community. It was a combination of a late freeze on a nearby mountain killing their natural food source, and carelessness on residents and visitors in not securing dumpsters, and leaving ground level doors and windows open all night. I never had a bear get in, but I did have a raccoon get in twice. I trapped it, and also got a lot more selective about what I left open, after seeing how nimble they are. No one was hurt by the bears, but they did do some damage. One feisty 80+ yr old women shooed a bear out of her SUV with a ski poll when she saw one get in as she was bringing groceries in and left a car door open.

Our dog, Bandit, is in my profile picture. He's 10 and a half now and still as full of energy as when we brought him home from the shelter 10 years ago.

We've also "adopted" this toad:

It built a home in a hole the dog dug out back. We've put up a couple solar globes out back to make it easier for the toad to get a meal at night (reasoning that bugs like lights and toads like bugs)

026.JPG

The Meezer Project

3 Siamese (meezer) kittens I picked up yesterday to foster for the shelter. 3 months old, good health, in desperate need of socialization. Came to the shelter from an animal neglect/cruelty case.

They're pretty hissy/spitty right now. I'll use food to gain their trust. If need be, I'll break out the ham - often irresistible to kiddy cats.

Attachments

• P1010208.JPG
    P1010208.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 14
  • P1010209.JPG
    P1010209.JPG
    457.6 KB · Views: 12
  • P1010210.JPG
    P1010210.JPG
    449.5 KB · Views: 11
  • P1010214.JPG
    P1010214.JPG
    443.2 KB · Views: 13
3 Siamese (meezer) kittens I picked up yesterday to foster for the shelter. 3 months old, good health, in desperate need of socialization. Came to the shelter from an animal neglect/cruelty case.

They're pretty hissy/spitty right now. I'll use food to gain their trust. If need be, I'll break out the ham - often irresistible to kiddy cats.

So cute...

Beautiful kittens, I bet they will be eating out of your hand very soon.

It's good that you got them as kittens. I bet that time and kindness will work wonders. They look adorable!

I have a Siamese. If you lived nearby, I would come get one:)

I think that ears-up head-down crouch means "One step closer, and I'll take your fingers off at the shoulder!!"
Ignoring that stance cost me a few fingers when my formerly stray kitty was still settling in.

I think that ears-up head-down crouch means "One step closer, and I'll take your fingers off at the shoulder!!"

Yup, that's what was going on in their little heads for sure. I'm making progress and have them eating canned food out of a spoon. Once they strongly associate me with vittles, I'll work on petting and eventually handling them.

Back
Top Bottom