Animals we share our lives with

I've had this one for 9 to 10 months. There's another photo of her on this thread. Question in my mind will I ever be able to take a photo of them together? No high hopes here!
6511-albums77-picture697.jpg

Question in my mind will I ever be able to take a photo of them together? No high hopes here!
6511-albums77-picture697.jpg

I wondered the same thing when I took in a second cat, which highly offended the sensibilities of my older one. It took much of that first year, but they now sleep side by side when they're not wrestling each other. The senior kitty still has to maintain his dignity and keep her in her place, but they are companions (they're alternately licking and biting each other right now).

Hang in there!

Love this thread and everyone's pictures. Here is our boy, Kody. We couldn't ask for a friendlier pup.
20090626 034ab.jpg

Want2Bfree,
Did you let them duke it out? I'm not really keen on that method. I've read on many sites that alpha theory is nonsense and just to let them get to know each other slowly. The female was really freaked out when I adopted her last fall. So not really thrilled with throwing her into the fray. It took her about 6 months to settle down. I can wait. Just curious what you did.

Kody is adorable---looks like he has a lot of personality. Is he a Tibetan terrier?

Purron---about the cat allergy thing: recently I went to a party where the host has three cats. One of the guests did not have any problems sitting around the living room when she didn't realize it was a home with cats. When one cat finally made an appearance, she freaked out and ran outside, saying she was severely allergic to cats. She left a few minutes later. But that's not really the way cat allergies work, is it? Could it really be that a cat in the vicinity would get her allergies going---but the accumulation of dander all over the room and house with three cats roaming around wouldn't affect her?

We have a neighbor who pretty much neglects his cat. The cat is outside rain, snow or shine. Last winter, the poor thing had nowhere to go when the temps dropped well below freezing. I told the neighbor he should keep the cat indoors, but my remark fell on deaf ear. So I built him a temporary shelter to at least keep him out of the wind and snow (we couldn't and still can't bring him indoors for a variety of reasons). Well, he liked it so much that he has made our back porch his. During the summer, I upgraded his shelter and now that nights are getting cooler again, he has moved into his new house (solid cedar siding, aluminum roofing, and faux fur mattress):

Last edited:
I thought, possibly a Papillon or Papillon mix.
That's what my sis in law said, she shows dogs and says Biscuit seems more Papillon to her.

Tango, that party guest was a drama queen if you ask me. It is definitely the dander, not the sudden appearance of a cat that causes allergies. Granted, no one with allergies would spend a lot of time in my living room, but sounds like a good way to "lean up" the guest list for your host friend!

mountain, you are doing the intros the right way. I have 6 cats and some of them simply don't get along and probably never will. I separate them at night (we live where they can go outside) and just figure they are like sparring siblings. Yours will probably finally settle into a grudging sort of admission that they both live there and make the best of it. But BFFs? Probably not. But thanks for saving those lives!

FD, you are awesome to build that cat a warm home! Now you can say you have the neighborhood cat house! :D

FD, what a difference you've made in that cat's life! You gave him the next best thing to living with a family who would take better care of him.

FD, thank you so much for making such a wonderful respite from the elements for that kitty!

FD...good karma baby

Attachments

• karma 1.jpg
    karma 1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 6
We have a neighbor who pretty much neglects his cat. The cat is outside rain, snow or shine. Last winter, the poor thing had nowhere to go when the temps dropped well below freezing. I told the neighbor he should keep the cat indoors, but my remark fell on deaf ear. So I built him a temporary shelter to at least keep him out of the wind and snow (we couldn't and still can't bring him indoors for a variety of reasons). Well, he liked it so much that he has made our back porch his. During the summer, I upgraded his shelter and now that nights are getting cooler again, he has moved into his new house (solid cedar siding, aluminum roofing, and faux fur mattress):

You are a good person.

Many years ago in upstate NY on a -30F night... Mother obtained 2 paper barrels of different sizes, one inside the other with in between stuffed with rags, set it up facing south, lined with cheap fur coat from thrift store.

I looked into it before bedtime, I think there were 10 cats in there.

Is it possible to teach a cat to fetch? :LOL:

Not that I'm gonna try. But each time I sit on the sofa in front of my netbook, two kittens pile on my lap and start purring away. They have no problem carrying my socks around or their toys in their mouths.

Not that I'm gonna try. But each time I sit on the sofa in front of my netbook, two kittens pile on my lap and start purring away. They have no problem carrying my socks around or their toys in their mouths.

I've had two cats that would play fetch when they chose too. The best was a young Siamese that had no other cats around and had to make do with just me. He would bring back a thrown balled up piece of paper 5-6 times in a row.

I've had two cats that would play fetch when they chose too. The best was a young Siamese that had no other cats around and had to make do with just me. He would bring back a thrown balled up piece of paper 5-6 times in a row.

That's really good.

I was trying to play soccer with the two last night. Dribbling a toy ball with my feet. But they just stared at me and didn't even try to intercept the ball.

My general experience with getting a cat to "fetch"...

Attachments

• fetch.jpg
    fetch.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3

Yes, I have had two cats that learned to fetch. I just started throwing a crumpled up cigarette pack that they would chase. The fetch part was their idea. After a few tosses they just started batting and chasing it back to me.

Back
Top Bottom