Animals we share our lives with

My two beagly bitsas, Leo and Licorice:

Attachments

• 2012-12-22 06.27.10.jpg
    2012-12-22 06.27.10.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 14
This magnificent creature was proudly posing in F's yard this afternoon, standing there proudly and as still as a statue. I think he's a white crane.

This was taken from the window of my Venza, and when F got out the crane took off awkwardly and soared down the street.

Attachments

• crane.jpg
    crane.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 14
This magnificent creature was proudly posing in F's yard this afternoon, standing there proudly and as still as a statue. I think he's a white crane.

This was taken from the window of my Venza, and when F got out the crane took off awkwardly and soared down the street.
Magnificent indeed, but to me the bird looks more like an egret of some kind. There are two kinds of cranes native to the US--Sandhill Cranes are gray and Whooping Cranes, although there is a flock in Louisiana, are nearly five feet tall. Maybe it is the angle of view, but the bird in the picture looks quite a bit smaller than that to me.

I think he was about 3.5 feet tall, or 4 feet at the most. Thanks! He sure was beautiful.

Last edited:
Looks like a Great Egret to me.

We have one that walks around our apartment complex peering into the hedges looking for geckos.

I asked F how tall this bird was, and he said easily 5 feet or taller. Since he was standing within 10 feet of the bird when he got out of the Venza, and since he is barely over 5 feet, I think his estimate is a lot better than mine. I was further away, taking the (well cropped) photo through the open passenger window, while sitting in the driver's seat.

When he flew away, his wingspan was gigantic, perhaps 10-12 feet (just a wild guess). After an awkward launch and only a couple of flaps of his tremendous wings, he was way down the street.

Last edited:
My Peterson Field Guide identifies it as a Great Egret

Looks like a Great Egret to me.
My Peterson Field Guide identifies it as a Great Egret

I think it is a Great Egret, too, despite its height. While most guides seem to say that the Great Egret cannot exceed a meter in height at most, I found one that says "Great Egret (Ardea alba) – Great Egrets are slightly shorter than Sandhills, at about 3-4 feet tall. They are much more slender than cranes, and have a yellow bill. These waterbirds are indigenous to the wetlands of the eastern US but are rarely seen in upland areas. When flying, egrets tuck their necks back in an "S" curve and are 100% white. "
So, 3.5-4.0 feet tall is a reasonable height estimate after all.

I asked F how tall this bird was, and he said easily 5 feet or taller. Since he was standing within 10 feet of the bird when he got out of the Venza, and since he is barely over 5 feet, I think his estimate is a lot better than mine. I was further away, taking the (well cropped) photo through the open passenger window, while sitting in the driver's seat.

When he flew away, his wingspan was gigantic, perhaps 10-12 feet (just a wild guess). After an awkward launch and only a couple of flaps of his tremendous wings, he was way down the street.

That's the size of the one that wanders our apartment complex on gecko patrol.

Not your average pet. Last snowstorm. Mere Point.

Attachments

• Snow Fox.jpg
    Snow Fox.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 8
Took the mutt on a walk at the reservoir today and he rolled in horse manure. Just got through bathing him. What a PITA. :(

Is there anyone else who can't control the impulse to rescue yet another pet?? We have one old cat ( 15+) and two younger ones (2 years old). Our long term plan is to have only two cats as we get older - for financial reasons and to make it easier to travel, among other things. My " problem" is that I volunteer with a cat rescue, and right now, there is the sweetest, cutest kitty who needs a home... WILL SOMEONE PLEASE STOP ME??

I'm positive that in time, hopefully sooner rather than later, someone will take her and then I can get over it. Until the next one. :)

Last edited:
We have now been catless for 6 months and are looking for some new kittens. The young wife thought she might like some Singapura kittens after she saw them on TV. However, we have been unable to locate a breeder, so we'll probably just go to the shelter and get two of theirs.

We have now been catless for 6 months and are looking for some new kittens. The young wife thought she might like some Singapura kittens after she saw them on TV. However, we have been unable to locate a breeder, so we'll probably just go to the shelter and get two of theirs.

I can wholeheartedly endorse orange ones! :)

I can wholeheartedly endorse orange ones! :)

One of our two old girls (who both died last year) was orange and white. It is my understanding that most orange cats are male, so she was a little odd. The other was a tortie, which I understand are almost exclusively female. I would prefer two new girls, but we'll take what we can get.

Shelter cats - good move!! They are the best, and you are saving lives. If you want kittens, the shelters will be overflowing with them in a month or two, and for most of the summer. And yes, torties are pretty much exclusively females (we have two, love them) but it's not all that hard to find orange females. There is a 6 month old one at our local shelter right now.

Back
Top Bottom