Animals we share our lives with

I'm about to take shots of 3 kittens I'm fostering. They're up for adoption and we need some good pictures. These 2 are of Colleen. They're not from the "official" shoot, but they turned out pretty good. She's about 8 weeks old.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Our cat Charley is busy spreading the wealth. The spring molt, cat hair everywhere.

These 2 are of Colleen. They're not from the "official" shoot, but they turned out pretty good. She's about 8 weeks old.

Can you post some from the "official" shoot? I understand if you can't, copyright, exclusive license, etc.

Unfortunately, the "official" shoot didn't happen Walt. The plan was to photograph all 3 kittens against a white foam core background with a hand-held flash and small softbox, to help make them "pop".

Trouble is, trying to get 8-10 week-old kittens to stay still in a small area takes more than the skills my SO and I possess :LOL:

It's been tough trying to get decent photos of these foster kittens because my wide angle lens, a 24mm f/1.4, is out for repair. The 50mm is a bit too long in the confined space of the bathroom and shooting in the available light is a bit harder too, as the longer focal length necessitates faster shutter speeds for hand-holding. My camera is 10 years old, and I could really use the 2 or 3 stop high ISO advantage of a newer camera. Apologies to the non-photography people if that all sounded like Greek, but here's one I managed to get this morning of Colleen. I do like this one, but sure could use a new DSLR. PS - this 8 week-old is up for adoption to any Bay Area people and if you adopt at the end of May, adoption fees will be waived, thanks to a wonderful thing called Maddie's Fund. PM me if you're interested. I sure will miss her though :(

original.jpg

Last edited:
OMG, what a beautiful kitten!! I am a real sucker for torties, and this one is a beaut! Just look at that FACE!!

Aww crap, I'm sorry guys. I am posting too many cat pictures in this thread. Here's another one of the same foster kitten. Of this batch of 3, she's the one who does the most cute things when the camera is around. After being allowed out of the bathroom and into the main area of my apartment, she wasted no time in finding the big girls' cat tree (the large version of this photo looks best) -

original.jpg

New family member

It's a rescue from the streets of Houston. Tiny thing, we figure about a year old and very undernourished. DD has a softness for animals and knows DW was looking for a "small, white, cuddly Poodle":rolleyes: (we had to put down a Golden Retriever mix we had for 14 years a while back and DW decided it's time for a new friend).

Not a cuddly poodle for sure.

This little guy is about 6 pounds, wiry hair, black and white, and a mix between ...:confused:??.....breeds. But we are going to keep him. We need to get him to a vet this week.

Any guesses as to what breeds created this friendly little guy??

I'm going to guess terrier and papillon mix. So cute! Have you decided on a name?

Thanks! And he is somewhat potty trained. ;)

I could see the Terrier and the Papillon may be there with the ears and curl up tail. I suppose when he fills out, weight wise, what he is conceived from may be better defined.

He is so insecure from being abandoned, he is stuck to DW like glue and follows her around the house all day. Kid of funny to see that going on.

She named him Toby, which is fine with me.

Last edited:
Friends: They live on a wind farm near us.

Attachments

• My Horses.jpg
    My Horses.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 14
Here is our new cat, she adopted us. Showed up here at the house (we live in a rural area in the middle of about 60 acres) and has decided to stay. She's been here about 8 weeks, we had her spayed a few days ago and she's recovered quickly. DW has a plan to get her to hang out in the alpaca barn to control the mice, she's a good hunter. We found her under the deck stairs a few days ago with a live chipmunk in her mouth- we distracted her long enough for it to get away at least for now- and a 4 foot black snake she had torn the head off. We threw the snake well away from the house and hope we can get her directed towards the mice in the barn.

She's very friendly and playful- we've asked around the neighbors and no one was missing a cat or or at least was willing to admit to it- looks to be about a year old. We call her Miss Squeaky.

img_1472922_0_b09be2d302420518aa2b4db77102a77e.jpg

The new grandpuppy. Adopted from a shelter.

Attachments

• IMG_7338.jpg
    IMG_7338.jpg
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 20
Boy, I never get tired of looking at the pictures in this thread. Sometimes, I hesitate to comment on individual pictures in case anyone thinks I liked theirs less. I have loved every single one of these photos.

Love your new grandpuppy Avalon, and davemartin - Miss Squeaky seems like a great addition to the family!

I agree, Tom! I've been having the worst craving to adopt some fresh new kittens lately, but the FIVE I've already got are probably all I can handle! The local shelter keeps posting adorable photos on their FB page of tiny guys that need fostering...and I'm sorely tempted! But looking at the photos on here will have to suffice for now. :)

I know EXACTLY what you mean Sarah. I have even considered un-following the kitty-related pages on my Facebook so that I am not tempted!

OMG, what a face!!

Did you really name him/her "Kitty?" :LOL:

OMG, what a face!!

Did you really name him/her "Kitty?" :LOL:

Yep, Missy Moo was second place, but we laughed until we cried about naming a dog Kitty. Having a friend over and calling "Here Kitty!" is a riot.

Was going to get two dogs and name them "sit" and "fetch." Play with that for a while!! "Sit"...fetch!

Back
Top Bottom