Animals we share our lives with

Our condo cat Luna who took over after Boots died.

Is Luna a Canadian cat or a Mexican one? Does he/she move with you twice a year, or remain on mouse duty in one of your homes?

She stays in Mexico with our next door neighbours. We have also met some other neighbours who also feed and cuddle her.

Our foster dog Bandit. He has a growth on his cheek that will be removed later this week. The vet believes it is a cancer but we'll see, he’s 12 and I think he may end up staying with us as he is real cutie!

Last edited:
Our foster dog Bandit. He has a growth on his cheek that will be removed later this week. The vet believes it is a cancer but we'll see, he’s 12 and I think he may end up staying with us as he is real cutie!

Hope it goes well for Bandit. We tried fostering once and were considered a failure as we decided not to pass her on to the next intermediate stop. Jenna spend her final year with us.

Hope it goes well for Bandit. We tried fostering once and were considered a failure as we decided not to pass her on to the next intermediate stop. Jenna spend her final year with us.

Thanks. If we end up keeping Bandit, this will be the third time for us being a "foster flunky". Guess that's really not too bad considering we've had over 50 foster dogs over the last 15 years or so?

Our rescue dog Sunny. Adopted him a year ago after we had to put our 17-year old dog Pepper to sleep due to old age. We adopted him through a local rescue organization called AARCS.

IMG_9330.JPG

Yes, I truly believe that once you have lived with dogs, you are forever committed to living with dogs.

The pain of their passing is intense but it lessens and the pain of not having a dog increases until you just hop in the car and go to the shelter to save another one (as well as yourself) for as we all know;

Who rescued who?

Great words, RobbieB. Our boy passed last month and the sting is still there, but feeling like we're ready to adopt again.

Attachments

• Trooper on bed.jpg
    Trooper on bed.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 24
The shared pictures are great! We really enjoy going through the pictures we have of all the dogs we’ve had as well as fostered. The rescue group we work with usually has over 75 dogs come back for a visit at their annual picnic so we get to see some old favorites sometimes. Here’s the most recent picture of the two fosters we have now. Bailey, on the left, is 3 years old and ready to go, she will be an easy placement given her age. Bandit, who is 12, has surgery to remove a growth inside his mouth tomorrow and most likely, we will give him a home with us. He reminds me a lot of another Blue Merle Sheltie, Deago, that died last year.

Last edited:
I enjoy all of the photos.

The Shepard looking one is Riley, a shepard mix.
The black and white one is Frejya, a cattle dog mix.

The are over a year old now and they do keep us on our toes with all of their energy.

Attachments

• IMG_3042.jpg
    IMG_3042.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3268.jpg
    IMG_3268.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
Fur Kid Hack!

Had to take The Teddy to the vet today. He is a Pekingese, so we (DW & I) are are members of his staff.

He is not one to tolerate poking and prodding. I was holding his butt, assistant holding his chest, and the vet is trying to examine eyes. The Teddy was having none if it. Even with treats as bribery, he was unrestrainable. :peace:

After a few minutes of this, the assistant announced it was time for a "cat-wrap." She departed and returned a moment later with a large bath towel. We Wrapped him snugly and the vet promptly checked his eyes.

The Teddy had a combination of allergies and an infection, but has meds and is on the mend. :)

Anyway, if you have an unruly pet that needs to be immobilized for a few moments, try a cat-wrap! :LOL:

Last edited:
Had to take The Teddy to the vet today. He is a Pekingese, so we (DW & I) are are members of his staff.

He is not one to tolerate poking and prodding. I was holding his butt, assistant holding his chest, and the vet is trying to examine eyes. The Teddy was having none if it. Even with treats as bribery, he was unrestrainable. :peace:

After a few minutes of this, the assistant announced it was time for a "cat-wrap." She departed and returned a moment later with a large bath towel. We Wrapped him snugly and the vet promptly checked his eyes.

The Teddy had a combination of allergies and an infection, but has meds and is on the mend. :)

Anyway, if you have an unruly pet that needs to be immobilized for a few moments, try a cat-wrap! :LOL:

That is all good.... but have you tried to actually wrap a cat?

One of mine does not like it at all and he is strong... and will be able to free himself in 20 to 30 seconds no matter how hard you try and hold him... we only did it when giving a pill...

Right now we are sharing out lives with a very large, aggressive, truculent raccoon, which seems to like hanging out in our back yards after dark. We don't keep our trash out there, so my guess is that he is going from one neighbor's back yard to another, and walking through F's back yard and mine on the way. We live next door to each other.

F always brings a bright LED flashlight and firearm when he walks over to my house after dark, through the back yards. Still, he checks for the raccoon before leaving and if it is out there, he stays until it goes away. Why risk getting rabies.

Raccoons—along with foxes (red and gray), skunks, and bats—are considered a primary carrier of the rabies virus in the United States.
Raccoons and Public Health : The Humane Society of the United States

I know, you country folk probably are laughing pretty hard by now but hey, we don't have rabies and don't plan to risk it! :LOL:

Our wild one

Love all the best friends pics posted here. So adorable. I consider it a key piece of stress management!

Meet Lexi -- we got her from Lucky Dog Animal Rescue in Oct 2013. She was pulled from a kill shelter in SC (had been shot if the foot) and was transported to the Washington, DC area to live with us forever. She was about 6 months old, and really, really prone to getting herself into mischief. We decided to do a DNA test since she was so wild, and turns out she is 50% Weim, 25% Boxer, and 25% "some type of hunting dog." Since she points, we think pointer, but some say plott hound, others lab. Regardless, she's a nut, and we figure she got buckshot in her foot because she is too darn curious, and crazy fast.

I won't recount her "hunting" record -- suffice to say she hates squirrels, snakes, and skinks with a passion, and believes crickets and circadaes are a delicacy. I think it's disgusting - DH thinks it's hilarious.

Attachments

• Lexi pic.jpg
    Lexi pic.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Right now we are sharing out lives with a very large, aggressive, truculent raccoon, which seems to like hanging out in our back yards after dark. We don't keep our trash out there, so my guess is that he is going from one neighbor's back yard to another, and walking through F's back yard and mine on the way. We live next door to each other.

F always brings a bright LED flashlight and firearm when he walks over to my house after dark, through the back yards. Still, he checks for the raccoon before leaving and if it is out there, he stays until it goes away. Why risk getting rabies.

Raccoons and Public Health : The Humight watch stationane Society of the United States

I know, you country folk probably are laughing pretty hard by now but hey, we don't have rabies and don't plan to risk it! :LOL:

Just so ya know, there are .22 (long) rounds that are not much louder than snapping a finger. They go through coons (at close range) like a hot knife through butter. We have the occasional coon or similar varmint going after our chickens. Once we know that we have a problem critter, I take a long nap during the day, and set up a station on the deck (beverage, snack, 22 rifle with spot light). Usually, by midnight all is right in the world. We live in the burbs, so legally the chickens are no-no. But our neighbors love fresh, organic eggs.

Yeah, if you shoot them with a locked breech (bolt or lever or pump or falling block) rifle you don't even need ear plugs.

.22 short cartridges have subsonic muzzle velocity, which means, in the words of Elmer Fudd, they're "vewy, vewy quiet."

DW is sharing sharing the flowers that she plants in our tiny patch and in our bins with the local hares and white tail deer.

RB, I can’t believe you are killing the raccoons. Awful! My folks resort had raccoons getting into the garbage at night and it was difficult to deal with but my parents never shot them.

RB, I can’t believe you are killing the raccoons. Awful! My folks resort had raccoons getting into the garbage at night and it was difficult to deal with but my parents never shot them.
You know how many chickens raccoons can eat? You can tell it was a coon cause they leave the chicken's head as their calling card.

We had some awesome polish chicken's. The one had an entertaining personality. I'd actually go blowdry his head in the winter, otherwise he would have drowned in his water.

https://countrysidenetwork.com/daily/poultry/chickens-101/the-polish-chicken-the-royalty-of-poultry/

Raccoon ate much of our flock. Really hard to try and raise 100 meat chickens when a raccoon grabs one every night. Takes a lot of time, work, and money to keep chickens. Plus some people get attached to them.

Eat my pet, I eat you!

Last edited:
Just so ya know, there are .22 (long) rounds that are not much louder than snapping a finger. They go through coons (at close range) like a hot knife through butter. We have the occasional coon or similar varmint going after our chickens. Once we know that we have a problem critter, I take a long nap during the day, and set up a station on the deck (beverage, snack, 22 rifle with spot light). Usually, by midnight all is right in the world. We live in the burbs, so legally the chickens are no-no. But our neighbors love fresh, organic eggs.

You live in the ‘burbs and can’t have chickens but can shoot a rifle?
:confused:

OK, here are the animals we share our lives with:

Attachments

• A4545168-501B-4DB5-BE84-D6AB850A593E.jpeg
    A4545168-501B-4DB5-BE84-D6AB850A593E.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 66
You can’t make a chicken coop that is raccoon proof?

Came across this oldie from Riyadh......my late wife and I would take leftovers out into the desert and feed the wild pups.....here's one outside his den:

11si0wo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom