Animals we share our lives with

We've lined the familyroom walls with plastic shower liner up to a height of about a foot. We've also trained him to not chew the walls, which I think really means that we've trained him to wait until we're not around. It's more effective to give him scrap wood & drywall to chew.

He's chewed the bottom 6-12" of just about every molding in the diningroom & familyroom, but stained & painted material is yucky so after we repaint it once or twice he gives up. Still... we don't have anything in those rooms that we wouldn't mind losing one bite at a time.

As pets go, he's taught our kid that pets are a huge responsibility and can be demanding/unreasonable. They're generally cheaper than dogs/cats but they're not very trainable. But once they've shown you their preferences (for example, where they like to pee/poop) then they're pretty consistent about it.

Somehow he's managed to worm his way into our hearts.

If anyone's inspired by these posts to be a bunny owner: it's probably better to buy them from a pet store (or a bunny breeder) as soon as they're weaned so that they're more attached to you from a younger age. Buy a pair (not just one) that will bond with each other, and get them accustomed to frequent handling. The most friendly bunnies we've seen have been raised that way.

All I can say is, "wow!" You do have patience..and, obviously, alot of love for Mr. Cottontail. Good for you guys!!!

Well, all I can say is Mr. Cottontail is one lucky bunny!

Wow, that bunny is lucky. That was fascinating. It takes quite a bit of patience with my Silky but I know I would not be patient enough for a bunny even tho it looks so cute and huggable.

Amen Nords! It is just an example of responsible pet owning. Before getting our cats, we briefly considered bunnies but were turned of the the constant chewing. Apparently they can develop a taste for electrical wires too!

We were in a "No Pets" building (penthouses excepted), so the cats have worked out well. They only get to go outside on our patio.

Attachments

• f1570068s.jpg
    f1570068s.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 10
SarahW...what kind of dogs are those? They are so cute...do/did they shed? I've really been thinking about getting my Maddie a playmate but so far I've been able to talk myself out of it.

All of these animals are beyond beautiful, but Nico looks like a little devil! LOL We have two dogs; an American pitbull and a rescue golden retriever. The golden is the best dog I've ever had and we've had dogs for 40 years.

Is the bunny litter trained? Just curious.

All of these animals are beyond beautiful, but Nico looks like a little devil! LOL We have two dogs; an American pitbull and a rescue golden retriever. The golden is the best dog I've ever had and we've had dogs for 40 years.

Is the bunny litter trained? Just curious.

Nico was feeling a bit fiesty when that picture was shot. But he's
actually a pretty well behaved little guy. Here's a less devilish shot.

nico_small_pic.JPG

SarahW...what kind of dogs are those? They are so cute...do/did they shed? I've really been thinking about getting my Maddie a playmate but so far I've been able to talk myself out of it.

Harry is a yorkie-poo and Spike was an AKC registered Yorkshire Terrier. Neither shed.

We had a cat that looked exactly like that.

I never knew much about Irish Wolfhounds until I started volunteering at the animal shelter. I frequently volunteer with a woman who has 3 of them just like you do. They must work well in 3's :)

She also has a cat, rabbit and bird and her wolfhounds are great with all her other pets. But, geez, they are BIG. I'm a kitty person so am a bit blown away by the size of them! But know what? I'd trust her dogs around the tiniest kitten. They are so gentle.

To Illustrate that gentleness, our 4th pooch is a 15 year old teacup poodle that is totally blind. The Wolfies treat her like a long lost pack member. They make a genuine effort to keep her out of harms way, and sort of "herd" her around when they are all out back. Of course the main reason being to keep her from falling into the bomb craters they've dug during times of bordom... :whistle: We had, two, then briefly eight!, but just kept one, so Pard on the left is the off spring of Grendel and Isabeau. They are the most lazy good for nothing beasts that could ever take up floor space, yep they's house dogs, and we love 'em :flowers:

img_938878_0_b5a3a661efa4fb5041189a8de7e18844.jpg

Here he is......learning how to swim. With my old pocket camera. I'm not good juggling him and my bigger better camera.

Attachments

• may10 002.jpg
    may10 002.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 7
  • may10 003.jpg
    may10 003.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 6
Yogi, wearing his best hunting face.

Attachments

• YogiGopherHunting-3.jpg
    YogiGopherHunting-3.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 12
To Illustrate that gentleness, our 4th pooch is a 15 year old teacup poodle that is totally blind. The Wolfies treat her like a long lost pack member. They make a genuine effort to keep her out of harms way, and sort of "herd" her around when they are all out back.

Yup, those Wolfies are gentle giants. I'd love to see a pic of your senior citizen teacup poodle with them sometime:flowers:

Very distinguished looking.:)

Ahhh yes...the illusions that are available to one, when armed with patience, a telephoto lens and an instant in time. :D

This, is far more typical of the goof.

Attachments

• YogiBeach-1.jpg
    YogiBeach-1.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 10
  • YogiBeach-2.jpg
    YogiBeach-2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 9
Great photos. The dog in the photo that I put up a week or so ago has been put down this morning and I'm a wreck...

Back
Top Bottom