Another wayward relative -- long story

When he loses the buildings, watch out for his wanting you to store his inventory, as that would be a terrible thing, since eventually he might accuse you of stealing some of it or damaging it, etc.

Fortunately, that's a nonstarter.
It would take at least 3,000 cubic meters by my calculations.
But it will be interesting to see the massive disposal job that any buyer will have to tackle when they get the place.
Again fortunately, it's 1,000 miles away from where we live so no involvement possible.

As for his friend the lawyer helping him, he gets treated the same way we do. So the lawyer makes recommendations, gets rejected, and drops it. Every time.

We have had so many conversations with the lawyer over the last 15-20 years that we have become quite friendly. When BIL was forced to sell some things to get out of hock a few years ago he didn't make quite enough to pay all the back fees he owed his friend the lawyer so he just stiffed him. We felt sorry for the poor guy and made him whole. But none of that went to BIL and our purse was permanently snapped shut after that.

Hoarding is a mental illness. Substitute the word "schizophrenic" or whatever, and basically it's just a situation where you can feel really sorry for him, but he's not going to change. Even if you sell all of his inventory he'll just start reaccumulating.

It's hard to watch, but helping him financially really isn't going to make a difference.

When BIL was forced to sell some things to get out of hock a few years ago he didn't make quite enough to pay all the back fees he owed his friend the lawyer so he just stiffed him. We felt sorry for the poor guy and made him whole.
Wow, you are generous.

It seems like almost every family has one or more relatives with "issues" be they financial, personal, or mental.

I had a long chat this morning with my younger sister (who is doing just fine) and we touched briefly about a mutual niece and nephew who inherited a large luxury home in DE that is mortgaged to the hilt. The nephew told me that when his mother (our half-sister) passed, they had enough inherited money to keep the house for another two years. In addition, the half-sister, her hubbie, and the niece who lived with them were all hoarders, but not quite enough to get on TV. The half-sister's hubbie passed about five years ago.

So now the niece and nephew own this luxury house, the clock is running out on time since the "two years" is up in November, and the house is crammed full of "stuff" and we (my two sisters and I, and respective spouses) are all wondering if they will clean it up in time to sell it, or will they wait for the bank to foreclose and let them clean it up.

Most bets are on the latter.

Ah, the drama never ends!

Back
Top Bottom