Ants

inquisitive

Recycles dryer sheets
Today I found 4-5 black ants in the place. I live in the 3rd unit (3rd floor) of a house converted into condominiums. Should I buy spray from the hardware store and spray it around the floor? Do I need to be concerned about ant nests behind the walls or in crevices that I can't access?

My 2 concerns are getting rid of the ants and do I need to be concerned about structural problems caused by ants or that there are many more ants that I'm not seeing behind the fridge, in walls, etc?

There are more ants (by weight) in the world than all mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians put together. Just be glad they're letting you stay. :LOL:

Seriously, depending on the type of ant, there are different solutions. None of them involve hardware store spray. And it's extremely unlikely there will be any structural issues, especially on the third floor. Do a quick wipe down of the area where you saw the ants with some vinegar, and keep an eye out. If you continue to see them, see if you can figure out what type they are. In our area we tend to have a lot of the little sugar ants. I've had luck with boric acid powder, and also the injectors that put down poison that looks like a little blob of honey. I can't speak to the Texas ants that steal your RV and rape your sister. Maybe REWahoo has some ideas.

There are more ants (by weight) in the world than all mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians put together. Just be glad they're letting you stay. :LOL:

Seriously, depending on the type of ant, there are different solutions. None of them involve hardware store spray. And it's extremely unlikely there will be any structural issues, especially on the third floor. Do a quick wipe down of the area where you saw the ants with some vinegar, and keep an eye out. If you continue to see them, see if you can figure out what type they are. In our area we tend to have a lot of the little sugar ants. I've had luck with boric acid powder, and also the injectors that put down poison that looks like a little blob of honey. I can't speak to the Texas ants that steal your RV and rape your sister. Maybe REWahoo has some ideas.

The ants are black so I think they are typical household ants. I saw them in the kitchen and in the newspaper room so I'll try the vinegar in those areas, thx for the idea.

If you don't have pets, hell with it put it on a plate near where you find the ants.

We had ants (granted outside on our patio) and I sprinkled some amndro flakes, man you should have seen them come grabbing them to trot back to the nest to feed everyone. Literally one day and no more ants.

No, I don't work for them.

I can't speak to the Texas ants that steal your RV and rape your sister. Maybe REWahoo has some ideas.
Neutron bombs worked well until we were annexed and the city has some silly rule against them.

As to OP, you can go to your local big box hardware store and find something easy enough. I prefer to use the bait stations that contain something delicious that they like to take back and feed to that bitch laying all the eggs. Kills them all and wipes out the next generation. I usually combine it with a spray that I use to hit any living ones I see a few days later.

You do have to be concerned if they are carpenter ants - a termites little cousin. They like to live in rotten wood - like old tree stumps, but also wood in homes that has been damaged by moisture. They don't eat the wood, but they love to do lots of destruction to it while making themselves at home there. You'll find them in bathrooms often because of all the potential moisture sources that can damage the wood of the structure. Read up on them here: Carpenter Ants

Just be grateful you don't live in Texas and have fire ants. They've been known to turn many a good sister bad, and they always forget to fill up the RV before bringing it back.

And the bites of those little bastards will leave a mark that will be a reminder to not come and play in their part of the yard unless you came prepared for war.

fire-ant-sting.jpg

The ants are black so I think they are typical household ants. I saw them in the kitchen and in the newspaper room so I'll try the vinegar in those areas, thx for the idea.
Those guys usually like sugar, and I've had great success/convenience with Terro liquid ant baits in the little plastic container or the squirt bottle. It hardens overnight so sometimes you have to lay out the buffet for three or four days in a row before they've had their fill.

Terro can sicken pets or small children but probably won't kill them. It's made of sugar water with about 5% boric acid, so you could whip up your own very cheaply from a box of Borax.

If the ants don't hit on the sweet stuff then they'll probably go for grease from bacon or ground beef mixed into the Terro or with the boric acid.

The keys, like Leo says, are patience and steady replenishment to let all the workers carry their loot back to the queen.

Little black ants prefer to live underground or in rock walls, not inside houses, so you're probably not going to have to worry about damage. Carpenter ants are a whole 'nother issue.

Just completed a battle against ants myself. They were getting in around the kitchen window above my sink, but for the life of me, I couldn’t find the entry point. There were dozens of 'em all over my kitchen counter tops.

Here's what I did. Cleared off the window and countertop area. Cleaned everything thoroughly and have kept it spotless. Removed all "bait" like the honey jar we store on the countertop for convenience (yeah, DH and I love our honey). Made sure all dirty dishes were immediately rinsed and placed in the dishwasher.

Sprayed all around the window with Bergamot air freshener I got at Trader Joes. Non-toxic for humans and critters, but a decent bug deterrent.

Been over a week now and I've seen no ants. Knocking on wood the little buggers don't pay us a return visit.

Yes, keeping the surfaces clean and food put away can make a huge difference.

Audrey

worst is discovering ants all over/in the dog food bowl, and wondering how long they've been there and if dog ate some ants or got stung

Nords is right. Terro. Simple. Cheap. Effective.

It's a sweetened borate solution. A small vial should last decades. I doubt it would sicken pets or kids any more than toothpaste. Lots of videos of results on YouTube.

A small vial should last decades.
Around our house, especially during dry weather... maybe a couple months.

One of the side effects of the termidicide "Termidor" is to knock back the ant population for a few months. (I don't know why.) But we have gazillions of ants in the shrubbery and lava-rock walls around our house, and millions of them crawling along on the sidewalk or exterior walls. They must be doing something to help the landscaping keep its good looks, so I just try to keep them out of the groceries-- and the bunny poop.

Come to think of it, if we could train our bunny to poop next to the ant nests...

Come to think of it, if we could train our bunny to poop next to the ant nests...

I'd love to see a recent pic of your bunny Nords. I have no doubt the bunny gods smile on you with the utmost love and respect :flowers:

I'd love to see a recent pic of your bunny Nords.
Peter's at least nine years old (about 150 in bunny years) but having the run of the familyroom certainly keeps him limber.

However he's dozing a lot more in the afternoons than he used to...

Attachments

• P9050011.JPG
    P9050011.JPG
    410.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P6270007.JPG
    P6270007.JPG
    440.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Deep in REM.JPG
    Deep in REM.JPG
    396.6 KB · Views: 0
Now that is a cute fuzzy bunny! He looks very content!

Peter's at least nine years old (about 150 in bunny years) but having the run of the familyroom certainly keeps him limber.

However he's dozing a lot more in the afternoons than he used to...

Back
Top Bottom