Any antique buffs here? If so, what happened?

Uh oh......:dead:

Yeah yeah. :D Older than me. It's all relative.

It's fair to say "older people" to refer to those in their 50's and 60's when the thread is about "the younger generation" not liking antiques. :D

Off topic, but I have already managed to insult my soon-to-be kindergartener's school principal. My mother used to work with said principal, and I was trying to describe my mother to the principal. After saying "she's an older lady, around 57" I knew I had dun goof'd. The principal quickly retorted with "that's not old! I'm 57!". :D

If it makes you older people (in your 50's and 60's) feel better, my daughter calls me old.

No problem, I just read it as "older people (in their ... 60's)". That sounded OK to me :angel:
I'll drink to that. :flowers:

Yeah yeah. :D Older than me. It's all relative.

It's fair to say "older people" to refer to those in their 50's and 60's when the thread is about "the younger generation" not liking antiques. :D
It's all good darlin'....:)

It's just that I'm at the age where I look forward to senior citizen's discounts, however I don't look forward to when (without asking) a sales clerk rings up my purchases and says, "That will be $10.50 with your senior citizen's discount." :LOL:

:dead:

But what has happened to the younger generation that they hate antiques?:yuk: Yeah, I get that there is always a large segment of the population that loves the newest, brightest, shiniest...but now we have an entire population of youth that won't have an antique in their home they dislike them so. Wha' happened:confused:

Pottery Barn happened, IMHO.

All the HGTV decorating shows feature colors and textiles and furnishings that look like they are right out of the Pottery Barn catalog. Those younguns are watching those shows and getting dozens of those catalogs. It's not cheap but it's affordable and designed to appeal to that age.

In my family none of the younger generation is interested in antiques. So what happens to old family antiques? For important occasions (wedding, graduation, house warming...) I've been choosing small silver or glass antiques from my grandparents for my mother to give the grandkids. I have her write a note describing the item, its history, and her childhood memories of it. This seems to work and I think the recipients are genuinely pleased. Family furniture from the 1800s is the real problem -- so far no one in the next generation is interested. We hold onto some of it hoping that someday they will change their minds.

However, all of my antiques were given to me so they have special meaning. More than likely I would not buy an antique because it wouldn't give me that warm feeling.

Mine too ! I love using crystal that was my Mom's or dishes that belonged to my favorite Aunt .

In my family none of the younger generation is interested in antiques. So what happens to old family antiques? For important occasions (wedding, graduation, house warming...) I've been choosing small silver or glass antiques from my grandparents for my mother to give the grandkids. I have her write a note describing the item, its history, and her childhood memories of it. This seems to work and I think the recipients are genuinely pleased. Family furniture from the 1800s is the real problem -- so far no one in the next generation is interested. We hold onto some of it hoping that someday they will change their minds.

What a wonderful idea!:clap:

Pottery Barn happened, IMHO.

All the HGTV decorating shows feature colors and textiles and furnishings that look like they are right out of the Pottery Barn catalog. Those younguns are watching those shows and getting dozens of those catalogs. It's not cheap but it's affordable and designed to appeal to that age.

You know, you could be right about this....:( I love HGTV, but they never show any antiques in the homes when they decorate. Never thought about it this way before, but I think you probably hit it on the head.

I enjoy checking auctions for what I need, Oriental carpets for example. Pacific Galeries in Seattle used to have a nice web preview but not now. Maybe the nice stuff is going to Portland because Oregon has no sales tax, O'Gallerie has a nice website and it shows the results of previous auctions: O'Gallerie: Auction Schedule. Treadway Galleries has beautiful offerings but they are far away from me and out of my price range: [Treadway - Toomey Galleries] - Arts and Crafts, 50s, Art Nouveau, Rookwood Pottery and paintings

The web has actually brought the sales prices down because what was once rare in one area of the country is now find-able elsewhere.

Even if I am not buying I enjoy looking.

Intesting, my parents have lots of antiques that they lover (most of the furnishings in their home). I think it all looks wonderful but I don't think I'd want to have it myself, my rumba might scuff the legs, they tend to be big and heavy, etc. Perhaps it is because I rent but I like the idea of my furniture being eminently replaceable.

I think when pieces of furniture get passed on they will probably go to my brother and SIL since she likes that sort of thing I think... It will be interesting to see if my attitude changes as I age, or if I end up married to somebody like my gf who owns a home big enough for antiques...

I don't like old stuff (except my DW :whistle: ).

Not to say we don't have old stuff. After 40+ years of marriage, we have more than enough to go around...

Five or six years ago DH's family had his mom's possessions appraised (many bonafide antiques) and DH and his siblings decided who wanted what, with the appraisal counted against their share of the trust. (DH's mom is still with us and most of the possessions are in her house, even though she is in a nursing home.)

Today, the kids have mostly decided they don't want most of the antiques after all. And the old appraisals are way inflated vs. what the stuff is worth today. I foresee some fun fights ahead when the person who got charged with the vintage sidebar at $3,000 wants it reduced to $1,000.

But I remember Swedish modern in the fifties and sixties. So maybe antiques will come back again. If Pottery Barn can make off them :)

I've got quite a few antiques I'd like to sell...but I ain't selling until this market turns up. And it will. Maybe 15 years from now, but--God willing--if I am still around I'm selling then. I have time and don't want to take the loss I would take in this Recession, which is huge as prices are down 70%. Alot of auction houses have closed, too.

Also, have tons of expensive jewelry I'm waiting to sell when the market turns up. For now, it sits in a vault at the bank. No wear-ee, then sell-ee!

Times change, fashions change. I'm more curious to see if Great Rooms in homes stay here than anything else right now or will it go the way of shag carpeting?:rolleyes:

One thing I'm not sure has dropped or not in price is antique cars. Anyone know?

:greetings10:

I have a bunch of antiques (china cabinets pump organ old radio collection china ect) and recently went to some auctions to gather information for possible selling of some in relation to my desire for less stuff. Nobody is buying much and as others have said prices are way down.

If I find the right one I will buy a Victorian bed set while the prices are low. This is a great time to buy old tables chairs and sideboards. China cabinets less so at least from what I saw at auction.

I have sold a few items for good prices mostly camera toy or car related and mostly on ebay or kijiji. I have had little response from craigslist ads and a lot of that little has been people fishing for nearly free bargains. People are willing to pay for old car parts. Most of what I sold has been MOPAR Muscle or Studebaker.

I am unloading some film camera stuff before it is worth zip. Zeiss, Sonnar and other good lens are actually going for decent money even compared to what I bought them for some years ago. I sold two immaculate collector cameras for good money to collectors but they were paying for the condition. Run of the mill film equipment is worth zip. There are now digital backs available for some top end film cameras but they are very costly.

I think a lot of people do not have or are not willing to devote the room to antiques. Even a large number of small items can take much care and room. Things like the dedicated home theater area have taken over.

Some things I have are going to be kept till prices improve and if they do not then oh well. Little will be lost as I have always been a stingy buyer when it comes to this type of thing.

My 2 cents worth of observations

Bruce:)

I have a bunch of old books starting with 1878-1934, and nobody will buy them unless they are in perfect condition; and, let's fact it, how many old books like that are in mint condition.
Same thing the antique and art dealers tell me: during this Recession, antiques have to be in mint condition to bring any money.
When times are good, buyers aren't so picky as now. If you have anything and don't desperately need the money, I'd hang on to it until this market turns around, frankly.
However, if I can get an old brass bed frame during these down times I'm grabbing it. I always wanted an old brass bed, so I can feel like I'm one of the saloon girls in the old cowboy days. You can call me Miss Orchidflower if you want then....:LOL:

Orchidflower, just watch Craigslist and one will show up.

Five or six years ago DH's family had his mom's possessions appraised (many bonafide antiques) and DH and his siblings decided who wanted what, with the appraisal counted against their share of the trust. (DH's mom is still with us and most of the possessions are in her house, even though she is in a nursing home.)

Today, the kids have mostly decided they don't want most of the antiques after all. And the old appraisals are way inflated vs. what the stuff is worth today. I foresee some fun fights ahead when the person who got charged with the vintage sidebar at $3,000 wants it reduced to $1,000.

But I remember Swedish modern in the fifties and sixties. So maybe antiques will come back again. If Pottery Barn can make off them :)

Send everything to auction (net proceeds split equally) and let the relatives bid on what they want- that way no one can argue about true market value. Might change a few perceptions about who really wants what and what things are worth...;)

Back
Top Bottom