Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Lots of antiques at my house. Inherited most:
Bed set from the 50s
Bed set from the 30s
Bed set from the 1880s
Kitchen table from the 40s.
Hand crank telephone from 1910 (still works)
two barrister book cases from the 20s and 30s
Old tools (If they still work, why not keep'em?)
Cars are considered antique at 40, right? If so then my 76 Monte is well on its way.
Fossils from about a million years ago (No, not referring to my inlaws)
Forgot to mention my tube amp. The stereo itself isn't very old-I made it myself. But the tubes qualify. Tube amps rule!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

My wife inherited an old Telefunken Radio from her grand-parents. Great overall condition and still works great (except when it's too cold in the house, then the tubes take forever to warm up).

Old 07-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
But what has happened to the younger generation that they hate antiques? Yeah, I get that there is always a large segment of the population that loves the newest, brightest, shiniest...but now we have an entire population of youth that won't have an antique in their home they dislike them so. Wha' happened
The stuff looks old and is sometimes fragile. Some stuff is really sturdy, but some stuff you have to really be careful with. For me, stuff much be functional (for the most part) and be usable. If I have an expensive antique item that I feel I can't use (a chair, a desk, etc) then it serves no purpose other than eye candy. However unlike a nice painting, chairs, desks, etc take up a lot of space.

I think most people I know my age (30-ish) just want a clean new modern look. There may be a place for an antique or two, but that is not how they want their whole decor to look. Madison Avenue is a big reason for the current desire to have modern/current looking stuff/decor. Think about all the people that remodel their kitchens and baths every year because they look outdated.

We have a lot of old stuff (not quite antique - maybe 35-40 years old). Older people (in their 50's and 60's) usually see it and love it and ask where we got it. Younger people make no comment, presumably not caring about it or disliking it.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Older people (in their 50's and 60's).
Uh oh......
Old 07-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Uh oh......
No problem, I just read it as "older people (in their ... 60's)". That sounded OK to me
Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Uh oh......
Yeah yeah. Older than me. It's all relative.

It's fair to say "older people" to refer to those in their 50's and 60's when the thread is about "the younger generation" not liking antiques.

Off topic, but I have already managed to insult my soon-to-be kindergartener's school principal. My mother used to work with said principal, and I was trying to describe my mother to the principal. After saying "she's an older lady, around 57" I knew I had dun goof'd. The principal quickly retorted with "that's not old! I'm 57!".

If it makes you older people (in your 50's and 60's) feel better, my daughter calls me old.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
No problem, I just read it as "older people (in their ... 60's)". That sounded OK to me
I'll drink to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Yeah yeah. Older than me. It's all relative.

It's fair to say "older people" to refer to those in their 50's and 60's when the thread is about "the younger generation" not liking antiques.
It's all good darlin'....

It's just that I'm at the age where I look forward to senior citizen's discounts, however I don't look forward to when (without asking) a sales clerk rings up my purchases and says, "That will be $10.50 with your senior citizen's discount."

Old 07-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
But what has happened to the younger generation that they hate antiques? Yeah, I get that there is always a large segment of the population that loves the newest, brightest, shiniest...but now we have an entire population of youth that won't have an antique in their home they dislike them so. Wha' happened
Pottery Barn happened, IMHO.

All the HGTV decorating shows feature colors and textiles and furnishings that look like they are right out of the Pottery Barn catalog. Those younguns are watching those shows and getting dozens of those catalogs. It's not cheap but it's affordable and designed to appeal to that age.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

In my family none of the younger generation is interested in antiques. So what happens to old family antiques? For important occasions (wedding, graduation, house warming...) I've been choosing small silver or glass antiques from my grandparents for my mother to give the grandkids. I have her write a note describing the item, its history, and her childhood memories of it. This seems to work and I think the recipients are genuinely pleased. Family furniture from the 1800s is the real problem -- so far no one in the next generation is interested. We hold onto some of it hoping that someday they will change their minds.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

However, all of my antiques were given to me so they have special meaning. More than likely I would not buy an antique because it wouldn't give me that warm feeling.

Mine too ! I love using crystal that was my Mom's or dishes that belonged to my favorite Aunt .
Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurBall View Post
In my family none of the younger generation is interested in antiques. So what happens to old family antiques? For important occasions (wedding, graduation, house warming...) I've been choosing small silver or glass antiques from my grandparents for my mother to give the grandkids. I have her write a note describing the item, its history, and her childhood memories of it. This seems to work and I think the recipients are genuinely pleased. Family furniture from the 1800s is the real problem -- so far no one in the next generation is interested. We hold onto some of it hoping that someday they will change their minds.

What a wonderful idea!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Pottery Barn happened, IMHO.

All the HGTV decorating shows feature colors and textiles and furnishings that look like they are right out of the Pottery Barn catalog. Those younguns are watching those shows and getting dozens of those catalogs. It's not cheap but it's affordable and designed to appeal to that age.

You know, you could be right about this.... I love HGTV, but they never show any antiques in the homes when they decorate. Never thought about it this way before, but I think you probably hit it on the head.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #33

I have one antique, my old Chevelle.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I have one antique, my old Chevelle.
You have two - look in the mirror.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy checking auctions for what I need, Oriental carpets for example. Pacific Galeries in Seattle used to have a nice web preview but not now. Maybe the nice stuff is going to Portland because Oregon has no sales tax, O'Gallerie has a nice website and it shows the results of previous auctions: O'Gallerie: Auction Schedule. Treadway Galleries has beautiful offerings but they are far away from me and out of my price range: [Treadway - Toomey Galleries] - Arts and Crafts, 50s, Art Nouveau, Rookwood Pottery and paintings

The web has actually brought the sales prices down because what was once rare in one area of the country is now find-able elsewhere.

Even if I am not buying I enjoy looking.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Intesting, my parents have lots of antiques that they lover (most of the furnishings in their home). I think it all looks wonderful but I don't think I'd want to have it myself, my rumba might scuff the legs, they tend to be big and heavy, etc. Perhaps it is because I rent but I like the idea of my furniture being eminently replaceable.

I think when pieces of furniture get passed on they will probably go to my brother and SIL since she likes that sort of thing I think... It will be interesting to see if my attitude changes as I age, or if I end up married to somebody like my gf who owns a home big enough for antiques...
Old 07-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #37
gone traveling

I don't like old stuff (except my DW ).

Not to say we don't have old stuff. After 40+ years of marriage, we have more than enough to go around...
Old 07-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Five or six years ago DH's family had his mom's possessions appraised (many bonafide antiques) and DH and his siblings decided who wanted what, with the appraisal counted against their share of the trust. (DH's mom is still with us and most of the possessions are in her house, even though she is in a nursing home.)

Today, the kids have mostly decided they don't want most of the antiques after all. And the old appraisals are way inflated vs. what the stuff is worth today. I foresee some fun fights ahead when the person who got charged with the vintage sidebar at $3,000 wants it reduced to $1,000.

But I remember Swedish modern in the fifties and sixties. So maybe antiques will come back again. If Pottery Barn can make off them
Old 07-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #39

I've got quite a few antiques I'd like to sell...but I ain't selling until this market turns up. And it will. Maybe 15 years from now, but--God willing--if I am still around I'm selling then. I have time and don't want to take the loss I would take in this Recession, which is huge as prices are down 70%. Alot of auction houses have closed, too.

Also, have tons of expensive jewelry I'm waiting to sell when the market turns up. For now, it sits in a vault at the bank. No wear-ee, then sell-ee!

Times change, fashions change. I'm more curious to see if Great Rooms in homes stay here than anything else right now or will it go the way of shag carpeting?

One thing I'm not sure has dropped or not in price is antique cars. Anyone know?
Old 07-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a bunch of antiques (china cabinets pump organ old radio collection china ect) and recently went to some auctions to gather information for possible selling of some in relation to my desire for less stuff. Nobody is buying much and as others have said prices are way down.

If I find the right one I will buy a Victorian bed set while the prices are low. This is a great time to buy old tables chairs and sideboards. China cabinets less so at least from what I saw at auction.

I have sold a few items for good prices mostly camera toy or car related and mostly on ebay or kijiji. I have had little response from craigslist ads and a lot of that little has been people fishing for nearly free bargains. People are willing to pay for old car parts. Most of what I sold has been MOPAR Muscle or Studebaker.

I am unloading some film camera stuff before it is worth zip. Zeiss, Sonnar and other good lens are actually going for decent money even compared to what I bought them for some years ago. I sold two immaculate collector cameras for good money to collectors but they were paying for the condition. Run of the mill film equipment is worth zip. There are now digital backs available for some top end film cameras but they are very costly.

I think a lot of people do not have or are not willing to devote the room to antiques. Even a large number of small items can take much care and room. Things like the dedicated home theater area have taken over.

Some things I have are going to be kept till prices improve and if they do not then oh well. Little will be lost as I have always been a stingy buyer when it comes to this type of thing.

My 2 cents worth of observations

Bruce