Any Good AD Blockers Out There?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My tolerance level got exceeded.

Just trying to simply read pages (such as news), there'd be too many ads sneaking around on the screen.

What happened to the good old days when there were only pop up blockers to annoy us? Now there's the ads on the bottom that force you to click to close or those that float across the screen, or sit in the middle, or follow your line of sight level as you sroll and read.

So, are there any good AD blockers (preferable free) out there?

I'm now trying one called Simple Ad-Block. It isn't free (30 day trial), but seems effective. (I've only started using it).

Adblock for Internet Explorer version IE7, IE8 and IE9 – Simple Adblock

I'm on Internet Explorer 8, Win XP. I know, FireFox has one built-in, but my preference isn't to change browsers.

Firefox doesn't have one built in, but you can add AdBlock for free. Google Adblock and see if they offer one for IE

Turn off and/or block javascript and flash and most of the problem goes away.

I've used Adblock plus on firefox for years and love it. It pretty much works in the background & is easy to disable for the few sites that don't work correctly with it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I installed Ghostery to test with. But as soon as I did, my antivirus sotware (Panda Cloud) flagged Internet Explorer as suspicious.

For now, back to the 30 day trial of Simple Adblock. With it, I like how even in Facebook, normally I'd see all those "sponsor ads" with faces of pretty people tempting me to click on them, but with Adblock, I may get a glimpse of those ads, then they disappear and don't stay on the screen.

I'm a recent convert to Adblock with Firefox and can't believe it has taken me this long to switch from Internet Explorer. My computer is now running much faster and cooler.

I've used Adblock plus on firefox for years and love it. It pretty much works in the background & is easy to disable for the few sites that don't work correctly with it.
Same experience for me. I think it's useful to have 2 browsers. Firefox is my main one and I don't worry about ads on IE as I rarely use IE now.

@ OP,

You have gotten good suggestions and you should be good with either of them. Pesonally, I use Ad-block Plus on all browsers and that suffice my purpose (but giving a try to the new ones mentioned here)

One thing, I noticed is your antivirus. I always wonder why folks use such obscure programs that don't do job well. If you scour through internet and search for performance ratings of antivirus programs, AVG, Avira and Avast do the best job. All of them offer a free version so why not use them? Just a suggestion, personally I use AVG and Microsoft Security essentials just because they don't conflict.

Thanks for the suggestions. I installed Ghostery to test with. But as soon as I did, my antivirus sotware (Panda Cloud) flagged Internet Explorer as suspicious.
When I tried to download Ghostery my anti-virus (Norton) flagged the download as suspicious.

@ OP,

You have gotten good suggestions and you should be good with either of them. Pesonally, I use Ad-block Plus on all browsers and that suffice my purpose (but giving a try to the new ones mentioned here)

One thing, I noticed is your antivirus. I always wonder why folks use such obscure programs that don't do job well. If you scour through internet and search for performance ratings of antivirus programs, AVG, Avira and Avast do the best job. All of them offer a free version so why not use them? Just a suggestion, personally I use AVG and Microsoft Security essentials just because they don't conflict.

About my antivirus program, Panda Cloud is free too. I had been using AVG religiously, but the scanning would make my system come to a crawl. I tried Avira, but for some unknow reason, it made my PC reboot during scanning. I like the fact that with Panda Cloud I'm not regularly having to do signature updates on my PC as the udating is done in the cloud.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom