Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Troll not going the way you'd like it to go?

Its funny you bring up hairballs. Those are my description for emotional constructions that cause people to behave the way they do, which seems perfectly rational to them because of the hairballs.

Like paying extra for a computer thats not worth hacking, justifying the cost by extending a variety of characteristics to it that it doesnt have, and then flipping out when someone points out that its not really that great.

To be fair, the Dyson vacuum cleaner people flip out even more than mac users.

You'd probably be a log happier with a blog than a discussion forum. You could be as long-winded and boring as you wanted to be, with nobody to disrupt your own special brand of brilliance in almost all matters.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Troll not going the way you'd like it to go?
Well, the THREAD is going just fine IMO, thank you.

I think we've had some good discussion, and I've learned a bit. In fact, due to some of the fine efforts from some posters here, I think I may take some action and look into installing that 'Little Snitch' program on the Macs that I maintain for the family. The (malware) attacks on Macs so far appear to be very few and far between, and require some 'assistance' from the operator. But it seems prudent to take a little added precaution. Not much downside to an outgoing traffic monitor, that I can see.

I guess it's all in the eye of the poster, but IMO the only 'trolling' going on was the attempt at injecting an OS war into a thread that was meant to be a discussion of Malware only.

Go ahead and bash the Mac if you feel the need, all I've asked (three times now) is that you start a new thread so we can focus on the Mac malware issues here.

While your Mac bash might fit the description of 'a worst case, xx years ago anecdotal experience,' it is anything BUT 'fair and honest'. Amazing how someone that is so knowledgeable about computer OS's, and puts down others for falling for a 'bill of goods' would purchase the 10.0 release, claiming that it 'received gushing and glowing reports from the media'. I can provide plenty of links from the time that contradict that. And the 10.0 and 10.1 (10.2 even) experience is certainly not relevant to anyone looking to purchase a Mac today, as others have pointed out.

At any rate, my 8 year old iMac is running 10.3.9 just fine. Kids use it everyday, use the web browser, MS Office, connect their iPods, digi-cams to it, no problem. And it works fine with my FireWire Canon camcorder.

But back on topic. Did you have any virus attacks on 10.0 or 10.1?

-ERD50

Old 11-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
IMO the only 'trolling' going on was the attempt at injecting an OS war into a thread that was meant to be a discussion of Malware only.

Go ahead and bash the Mac if you feel the need, all I've asked (three times now) is that you start a new thread so we can focus on the Mac malware issues here.
Hmm, well a moderator brought up the usability issues first, and a couple of other anti microsoft posters started an OS vs OS discussion before I uttered word one, in defense against those posters claiming I hated macs or had some kind of problem with them.

Then you brought up phones and what operating system those run (about which you were incorrect), which has nothing to do with malware, and then you brought up alternative operating systems and claimed they were == to the mac os (also wrong)...also not a malware discussion.

So maybe you're still having a little trouble reading and/or agreeing with yourself? I'm sort of missing the posts you made where you chided the posters who started and continued the flame war. Did you delete them?

Oh yes, and lets not forget that you started this thread just to get attention, after several wiseguy comments to people having computer problems wasnt satisfactory. You arent interesting in "learning" anything or having a discussion.

You see ERD, discussions forums are just that. People discuss things. You dont get to decide who says what and where, and the discussion thread police dont come racing to your aid when things dont go the way you'd like them to go and people dont comply with your way of thinking. Which is usually wrong by the way.

If you want to pontificate, get a blog and disable comments.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
... all I've asked (three times now) is that you start a new thread so we can focus on the Mac malware issues here.
I think that it's overly optimistic, perhaps even a bit naive, to request that a thread stay on topic.

Especially on this board.

As for expecting a moderator to help you stay on topic... well... good luck with that too.

It seems to be getting pretty grumpy around here, so perhaps it's time to move on to other discussions?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I just sneezed on my (PC) keyboard. I know DW has sneezed on her Mac keyboard. Does this mean we could acquire viruses from each other if we use each other's computers? Would spraying the keyboards with Lysol help?

When you use public computers, like at the library, do you wear protective gloves to keep from picking up viruses? Lots of snotty nose kids have been around those.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

An identified security problem with Leopard:
Holes in Leopard's firewall | Tech news blog - CNET News.com
It seems to me it isn't so much a "hole" as an illadvsed defaut setting fo rthe software.

But, neither one of the documented Mac users has been attacked, so I guess it's not a problem.

I'm not an MS lover. I'm almost ready to install Linux in dual-bootup mode and give it a whirl. It would be worth a little work to be free of the "borg" and the renewed extortion/institutional arrogance that comes with each revision of Windows.

Life's too short to have all these struggles with the tools.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I'd say that its not a bad idea to get a big USB key drive and install one of the bundled linux/firefox distributions to put on it, and use that for a quick boot for basic browsing and web based email, but that'd be off the designated topic.

Thats pretty much virus-proof, unless you've got your C: drive mounted.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:59 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I just sneezed on my (PC) keyboard. I know DW has sneezed on her Mac keyboard. Does this mean we could acquire viruses from each other if we use each other's computers? Would spraying the keyboards with Lysol help?

When you use public computers, like at the library, do you wear protective gloves to keep from picking up viruses? Lots of snotty nose kids have been around those.

Oh no, you need to douse each with gasoline and light it on fire to kill those nasty bugs. Works equally well on any OS...

Now that's how to start a flame war

-ERD50
Old 11-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
An identified security problem with Leopard:
Holes in Leopard's firewall | Tech news blog - CNET News.com
It seems to me it isn't so much a "hole" as an illadvsed defaut setting fo rthe software.

But, neither one of the documented Mac users has been attacked, so I guess it's not a problem.

I'm not an MS lover. I'm almost ready to install Linux in dual-bootup mode and give it a whirl. It would be worth a little work to be free of the "borg" and the renewed extortion/institutional arrogance that comes with each revision of Windows.

Life's too short to have all these struggles with the tools.
samclem, I'm trying to get a handle on that firewall setting also. Gotta poke around the Apple boards a bit more tomorrow. It absolutely does seem odd, but it actually has been that way in previous releases.

I'm not saying that makes it right, but it just seems so obviously wrong, so I'm guessing there is more to it than meets the eye. But maybe not, companies/people do lots of stupid things.

-ERD50
Old 11-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
After years of glitches, crashes and once (really) smoke coming from the cabinet of an expensive Gateway piece of crap loaded with Windows Millenium (as unstable as the San Andreas fault), I have spent three and one half trouble free years as a very heavy user of a 17 inch Mac lap top that doubles a desk top with blue tooth mouse and key board. Worth every cent.
Ditto but only 18 months with new IMAC

MAC is far superior. PC's after 18 months slow down and you have to reboot them and it takes longer and longer. I'm a BSEE never wrote much code of anykind but know my way around a computer. Constantly used Adaware, malware, crapcleaner etc almost DAILY. Reboot time was minutes to many many minutes and it got longer every month.

My MAC has crashed (ie. had to reboot) a handful of times but it takes 10 seconds. Yes, 10 seconds and your back up and running. It hasn't slowed down one bit.

I thank CFB for pointing out the potential security issue as I've already tightened up things a bit and will look into it further but I'd frankly pay double for a MAC anyday of the week. I don't think anything could make me go back to a PC.

PS. I'v called APPLE customer service 3 times ( I did buy an extended warranty) and each time waited less than 5 minutes. They were knowledgable and very very thorough in resolving my problems.

Wished I had the brains to buy Apple Stock in December when I fell in love with my IMAC but I thought stock was overpriced

W
Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I am closing the thread, the moderators have decided it is time for this discussion to end.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Closed Thread