I Hate Computers

aaronc879

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
On Thursday my computer security package expired and my computer guy quit his business to take a regular job. I woke up Friday morning and did a "update and restart" on my computer. I took a shower and when I came back there was a blue screen that said Bitlocker. It required a key to open which I don't have. No one knows how this got on my computer but my almost new computer is useless now since my hard drive is encrypted with no known key. My old computer guy said that happened to at least 10 of his old clients with no known cause and no solution.

I then pull out my old laptop which somehow gets hacked. Maybe because all the old antivirus/malware/pop up blocker stuff is expired. I take my computer to a computer shop to have it wiped. It had Windows 8 so they installed Windows 10. All my data was lost from old laptop so I had to try to remember my favorites and start getting those set up. Now I have to use my old computer with no anti virus, no malware, no pop up blocker. I used to just pay a guy $100-125/year to take care of everything. I don't know how to do it. Right now there are pop ups everywhere and I can't even access some of my streaming sites that I use all day most days. What a pain. My computer plus internet equals 95%+ of my entertainment and the quality of that entertainment is now way worse than the week before. It's a big blow considering that is basically all I had.

For such reasons this is why I backup all my files at least monthly as well as make copies of my favorites. Still a PIA, but recoverable with a new machine or cleaned/reloaded HD.

For such reasons this is why I backup all my files at least monthly as well as make copies of my favorites. Still a PIA, but recoverable with a new machine or cleaned/reloaded HD.

I know now I need to learn how to back things up. I have never used a flash drive in my life and don't know how.

I know now I need to learn how to back things up. I have never used a flash drive in my life and don't know how.
It is really super simple... I'm sure there are plenty of tube videos to show you how if needed. But it is as simple as plugging in a USB stick and copying the files from your computer to the stick. Done in ~2 minutes! Next month just repeat the plug in and copy process. One 32g USB stick easily handles my active files. <$10

Maybe your old computer guy could show you... Shouldn't take him more than a few minutes to show and explain it you.

Last edited:
Try an external hard drive or SSD. You can plug it into a USB port and copy ALL your data files to it. Will have a lot more space than a flash drive. Not expensive.

Suggest you consider a Chromebook purchase on Black Friday. They boot up in seconds, come with long warranties and my basic first one cost me $80 on Black Friday about 5 years ago. I bought a 2nd one with a 17" screen a couple of years ago for less than $150 and never even set it until this year since the first one still worked great. There is definitely an adjustment period with them but once you get past that, you'll probably never go back to Microsoft.
In my case I was so frustrated I left it unused for a couple of weeks and when I finally went back to give it another try, I had never turned it off and there was still some battery power left on it. That impressed me so much I gave it another shot and I only use my PC for Quicken and Turbotax nowadays.

Too expensive for me.

Since the dawn of the IBM computer/Windows age, I was replacing a computer every three or four years due to various problems with either the software or hardware. Around 2014 bought a Mac mini and have never looked back. You can actually pick up a renewed Mac mini for less than $250. There is no way I would ever go back to a windows based OS or IBM type computer.

My Windows box is > 10 yo and still good. But not compatible with Win 11.
Did not get a Dell or HP. Got it built to my specs and tried to future proof it which I guess worked pretty good.

I've been using a $300 Chromebook for 5 years and have no problems doing anything except running Turbo tax. Other than that, I'm good. I have an old desktop running Win 10 for taxes once a year.

You should be able to get your new computer working. I don’t think you’ll recover any data, but there’s no reason it shouldn’t be able to be re-established to the state it was when you bought it. Most manufacturers give you the ability to use a recovery disk/file to put it how it was as shipped. If that’s not available, you can reformat the drive and install Windows.

I know this hurts and you do need to learn how to do a back up, but you shouldn’t have to spend money to get the machine operating again.

You should be able to get your new computer working. I don’t think you’ll recover any data, but there’s no reason it shouldn’t be able to be re-established to the state it was when you bought it. Most manufacturers give you the ability to use a recovery disk/file to put it how it was as shipped. If that’s not available, you can reformat the drive and install Windows.

I know this hurts and you do need to learn how to do a back up, but you shouldn’t have to spend money to get the machine operating again.

The computer repair company I went to said they could take out the encrypted hard drive and replace it for between $80-200 then another $120 to install Windows. Then another $60 to transfer data from my old computer onto my new one. Not sure how I do all of that for free.

Then I have to figure out what to do about the anti virus, anti malware and pop up blocker. The pop-ups are driving me crazy without the security package I used to have.

It’s entirely possible that I’m wrong but it seems over the top for the encryption to make the drive useless. Others here know better than me and hopefully will correct me if I’m wrong.

It’s true that if you have to pay someone else to do the work, it will not likely be free.

If you do have to buy a new drive, you can save a lot of money by buying it yourself and installing the software.

I’ve never had this happen before, but it doesn’t seem right that you would have to buy a new Windows license. The license is associated with your computer, not your hard drive.

Are you taking this back to the person/company that originally sold you the computer?

Don't know what to do if I lost everything on my computer as there is so much vital information there.

From past experience of losing stuff in the past years ago, now I'm one of those regular backup folks. Almost to the point of having fun doing backups.

Backing up has saved my bacon many times. Things like recovering from ransomware or installing a program or a setting that seems to mess something up.

Last edited:
This is one reason I do *not* set up my new Microsoft systems with having to use a Microsoft account to log on. Bitlocker is likely set up by default when this is done. I still use a local account (among other things to keep Microsoft from collecting even more of my privacy data), which would require you to manually turn on bitlocker to use it (and allow you to save the key).

One of the problems with bitlocker I see if that it activates whenever it thinks a "substantial" change has been done. The "substantial" change might be something as simple as upgrading another system component. Not unlike Windows requesting you re-validate the OS if you make certain systems changes.

Probably the first time you signed onto the system with your Microsoft account there was an option to say the bitlocker key, which was skipped.

YouTube can be your friend for a lot of "how to" information, a lot of folks record exactly how to do things like backing up your items in various ways.

For your current system you are using that has issues and not anti-virus software, consider installing a free solution like Malwarebytes to do a cleanup. For browser popups try something like uBlock Origin, that does a good job.

I know this does not help the OP, but it does bolster my case.

I have never used Bitlocker and probably never will. I also never (and I mean Never) set up a PC using Microsoft logins. My current Lenovo X1 Carbon 2023 is completely neutral. Actually, the first thing I do when I get a new PC is wipe it and start again from scratch. Takes only a few minutes or so to do when a PC is new. Then install Macrium Reflect Free, take a backup image and go from there.

I've been using a $300 Chromebook for 5 years and have no problems doing anything except running Turbo tax. Other than that, I'm good. I have an old desktop running Win 10 for taxes once a year.

I bought a Chromebook a few years ago and was reluctant to use the online version of Turbo Tax initially. But I haven't had a problem. I print a copy for my records and backup the files to a flash drive just in case. I do understand why many do not want that info stored in a 'cloud'.

The only thing I really care about on my PC are my personal files and favorite(s) URL file, so I back them up regularly. Actually I back them up twice, to two separate memory sticks monthly. Sometimes more often. Quick and simple. Then if something happens to my PC (hardware or software), I just buy another PC and start with a new clean machine. I can buy a new laptop already fully loaded with the latest OS and Microsoft suite for under $300 at Walmart. It takes me about 1/2 day to get the new machine setup like I want it.

As a side note, back in the day when PC's were a lot more expensive, if my HD became corrupted/infected/etc for some reason, and beyond my ability to reasonably recover it, I'd use DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) to clean it and start over with a ghost load. Worked fantastic. Still have a copy of the program, just in case.

Last edited:
Coincidence? I booted today, and I must have had an update to do. Got the notice of signing in to MS account to get enhanced security. Nope. I may have an account somewhere, but I just reject the borg as much as possible.

OP, it seems you had to have a computer guy to guide you through everything, he left, and now you need a computer guy. There are fewer each day. So you need the computer store guy.

I'm not sure how this all happened to you. Sounds very complicated. I empathize with you, having been a computer guy.

Once the drive is encrypted, it's a bit more difficult to re-use. But that can certainly be done. After confirming that drive is inaccesible since you don't have the key, maybe they can format it in an external usb case. Yes, more money.

As a consultant for many years I worked with small businesses to resuce them from what was done by users and computer fixers. Maybe you can find that guy.

The computer repair company I went to said they could take out the encrypted hard drive and replace it for between $80-200 then another $120 to install Windows. Then another $60 to transfer data from my old computer onto my new one. Not sure how I do all of that for free.

Then I have to figure out what to do about the anti virus, anti malware and pop up blocker. The pop-ups are driving me crazy without the security package I used to have.

I know you said Aple was too expensive, but all those charges (and inconveniences) add up.

It was things like this that made us drop Windows. DW went to Apple and I went to a Chromebook.

One significant account I serviced was a family of Apple fans. It so happens that they were very wealthy and could afford just about anything. At this time the realtionship goes back 30 years...

Each was eventually limited by their choice of Apple. Windows was too comlicated, and to them (and many others) Apple is a status buy.

I worked on every device several times, and also at the end of the computer/phone's life. Every step was more difficult (more $$$ to me) because of the closed architecture. Some things have improved in iOS, same as Windows.

What has occured over time is that hardware in general has become more reliable, and can last a very long time. As a consultant I informed people of the useful life of the computer, and usually recommended a new system as one got closer to five years. So thinking about the lifecycle of the system, how you maintain, and the experience level of the user, that is where the conversation begins.

I don't see how it's helpful to recommend replacing a computer after a short period of use.

YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom