I Hate Computers

I've always preferred Truecrypt. Haven't used it in years but I still have a copy. Very powerful, easy to use and cheap.

I'm pretty sure Veracrypt is a spin off of Truecrypt. If so, it's probably good stuff.

It is. Truecrypt is no longer being maintained while Veracrypt is. You can migrate your TrueCrypt containers to Veracrypt.

I do normal web surfing like this forum as well as a lot of streaming of TV shows, Movies and Sports. Probably stream 50+ hours a week many weeks. I do have documents I use to keep track of spending, income, and net worth but I don't need to have those. I could do those things by hand.
Yep you're just adding a new device to your existing network.
I definitely suggest that you talk to friends, family and neighbors if any of them are using chromebooks and get their feedback.

There are also a ton of videos on youtube about making the switch.

Here is a link to Tech for seniors that has been doing a 1 hr show on chromebooks for 3 years now I think. I checked the first episode, it was a little dry and slow but had a couple of informative videos

We have had various different security programs over the years. We are now on ESET, and it works better than any of the others.

I've always preferred Truecrypt. Haven't used it in years but I still have a copy. Very powerful, easy to use and cheap.

I'm pretty sure Veracrypt is a spin off of Truecrypt. If so, it's probably good stuff.
For OP, this would require more study (by him).

Since he wasn't using BitLocker (I think) before the incident, and had a security suite (not mentioned by name, I think), it's difficult to have a recommendation for anything.

BitLocker encrypts the entire drive, while Veracrypt (and maybe his security suite) encrypt as much of the drive as you say. For example, my Windows Boot Drive (SSD) is 1 Terabyte. My encrypted storage container (Veracrypt) is just 4 GB. When I start up the computer, I get a prompt for the password when I'm at the desktop. You want a strong password, and have it safely stored elsewhere.

There is a good chance a Chromebook with be my next computer purchase. I just have to figure out what specs I need. I know i'll want a 17" screen but don't know much else. I need enough power to run several streaming sites at once with multiple tabs open running TV shows, movies, and/or sporting events. I assume it works with the same internet connection as I have now?

I suspect a Chromebook would be best for you. Here's a couple with 17: screens:

$299 - 4GB RAM (4GB *might* be limiting with multiple tabs open, but probably OK?)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-1...mory-64gb-emmc-silver/6534920.p?skuId=6534920

$499 - 8GB RAM
edit - worng link: [-]https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-1...mory-64gb-emmc-silver/6534920.p?skuId=6534920[/-]

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-c...ddr4x-64gb-emmc-wifi6/6470349.p?skuId=6470349

You really should learn how to back up files to a USB drive. It's easy, just don't let it intimidate you.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I suspect a Chromebook would be best for you. Here's a couple with 17: screens:

$299 - 4GB RAM (4GB *might* be limiting with multiple tabs open, but probably OK?)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-1...mory-64gb-emmc-silver/6534920.p?skuId=6534920

$499 - 8GB RAM

You really should learn how to back up files to a USB drive. It's easy, just don't let it intimidate you.

-ERD50

Thank you. I am not planning to buy too soon but good to have an idea what options are out there. Do Chromebooks have all the usual ports for things like HDMI, wireless mouse, and ear buds that need to be plugged in?

Thank you. I am not planning to buy too soon but good to have an idea what options are out there. Do Chromebooks have all the usual ports for things like HDMI, wireless mouse, and ear buds that need to be plugged in?

It will depend on the chromebook. For any that are recommended, be sure to check out the detailed specifications.

I would suggest that you browse local electronic stores and ask what kind of Chromebooks would be good for your needs. They may suggest something with a little more CPU power as you will be steaming multiple things at once. You don't have to buy where you do all the asking. You can just say that you want to think about it and leave. But personally, I like buying my computers locally. I test everything I want to make sure it fits my needs, and if something doesn't work, I return it. You can usually return it in 7 days(some places give you 10 days). If I can get one at Costco, it's even better as their refund period is much longer. (I have returned a Chromebook to Costco once; it had a French and English combined keyboard and because of that, the enter key was so small that I had to reach for it, which I didn't like. I live in Canada.)

My old cheapy Chromebook didn't have many connecting ports. My current one has more - It comes with a combo audio jack, usb 32 gen 1 type-a port, usb 32 gen 1 type-c ports, and a micro sd card slot. I imagine I could buy a USB hub and HDMI adaptor and connect a wireless mouse and HDMI cable. My Chromebook has touchscreen (which I highly recommend), so there's really no need for me to use a wireless mouse, and I hardly need to even use my touchpad. I usually use wireless earbuds so I don't really need the audio jack either.

Last edited:
Someone may have said this already. Right now, Windows Defender is about as good as other products. It is included with W10.

Since the dawn of the IBM computer/Windows age, I was replacing a computer every three or four years due to various problems with either the software or hardware.
I've had 2 laptops in the last 12 years. First one lasted 7 years, current one is 5 yrs old. And I worked 'em hard, carried them around North America many times on business trips.

I'm thinking of getting a new one, as the old one has developed some quirks. Nothing fatal, just annoying. But I don't w*rk any more, so I really don't need much ... but it's my main hobby / vice.

Since the dawn of the IBM computer/Windows age, I was replacing a computer every three or four years due to various problems with either the software or hardware. Around 2014 bought a Mac mini and have never looked back. You can actually pick up a renewed Mac mini for less than $250. There is no way I would ever go back to a windows based OS or IBM type computer.

This... replaced windows computer every three years. I've had had two Macs in the past 17 years. Way cheaper in the long run.

This... replaced windows computer every three years. I've had had two Macs in the past 17 years. Way cheaper in the long run.
Me too. I can buy a fully loaded brand name laptop (w/OS, MS suite (free for 1yr) and many common apps) for less than $300 at Walmart. These things are throwaway these days.

Last edited:

My current Windows machine is 12 years old. One can’t compare a cheap mass market computer to a Mac. However, if you buy a quality Windows machine and use a bit of diligence with what gets loaded to it, they last just fine.

My current machine was from a place that does custom builds and cost $1,500. It’s still working fine but it won’t be able to upgrade to Win11. I’m looking at a Mac to replace it but that’s mainly because I have other Apple stuff (phone, pad, watch) and I want them to integrate with my desktop.

My issue isn't computers that don't last but not enough room for all the computers :).

My issue isn't computers that don't last but not enough room for all the computers :).
Over-under desks. Like bunkbeds for kids.

Personally, I don't waste money on Apple anymore. Just Dell.

Over-under desks. Like bunkbeds for kids.

Personally, I don't waste money on Apple anymore. Just Dell.

I'm kind of in the same boat.

For the last couple of times (XP to Win 7, Win 7 to 10) I only get newer computers to keep current with a system that isn't discontinued. What I've done is instead of building from scratch, I buy a cheap refurbished dell the the newer OS preinstalled.

All the computers. No only Win but the laptops and other computers with Linux slapped on :).

I've been a PC builder since the early 2000's. I've never had to replace a computer after 3 years of use. I might upgrade it for an increase in performance but I don't remember one failing because of a hardware issue. Even my laptops last for a long time. I have one from 2007 that is still serviceable running Win10 with the only upgrades being an SSD and additional memory. My goto laptop is a 6 y.o. HP. It continues to work flawlessly and I don't expect to replace it until Win10 support runs out circa 2025. My current desktop PC build is about eight years old and runs like a top. It dual boots to Win7 or Win10. The last performance upgrade was maxing out the memory at 32 GB. It may be my last build as I think my next "desktop" may be a mini-PC which these days are fairly cheap, perform well and are very compact - I don't need gaming capability.

As for Apple, I've used them in the past but have never really seen the need for me to switch. Indeed the last experience I had with an Apple laptop was decidedly negative - hardware failure and snotty support.

I'm kind of in the same boat.

For the last couple of times (XP to Win 7, Win 7 to 10) I only get newer computers to keep current with a system that isn't discontinued. What I've done is instead of building from scratch, I buy a cheap refurbished dell the the newer OS preinstalled.

All the computers. No only Win but the laptops and other computers with Linux slapped on :).
I've found that the refurbished business class Dell and HP laptops and PC computers hold up really well. and are so cheap that its really hard to pass them up. I have two Dell Laptops and 2 HP desktop PC's all running perfectly for a long time. BTW I also run Linux so the "upgrade" issue with Win 11 doesn't apply. For the OP however I think the chrome book suggested would probably work best and also like the suggestion of buying locally as it seems that some hands on guidance and tutoring would be helpful.

I'd love to see that spec for spec comparison. Putting aside "religion" about which OS is better, I question the premise that Apple computers last longer by any objective measure.

I'll grant that you might find them a better value for your particular use case. But frankly, to a lot of people, they're a fashion statement. They'll gladly pay more just to be in style. All the components are made the same way, with the same technology, out of the same materials, and sometimes in the same factory. Maybe the case is more stylish, but under the hood it's the same stuff.

I've found that the refurbished business class Dell and HP laptops and PC computers hold up really well. and are so cheap that its really hard to pass them up. I have two Dell Laptops and 2 HP desktop PC's all running perfectly for a long time. BTW I also run Linux so the "upgrade" issue with Win 11 doesn't apply. For the OP however I think the chrome book suggested would probably work best and also like the suggestion of buying locally as it seems that some hands on guidance and tutoring would be helpful.

My current two desktops are a used Dell Tower. One I got with Win 10 preinstalled. The other with no HDD as that my Linux desktop and I have plenty of HDDs around to use. Think I paid about $70-80 for each desktop. One of those "make offer" things on ebay :). Then I added the necessary add-ons to my liking with some spare parts I had and some I bought.

I'll have the iMac in Bondi Blue, Steve.

Where do you guys find refurbished laptops with Linux already pre-installed or are you ditching windows after purchase? I've got an older System 76, but those have gotten expensive.

With a Mac, you connect an external or networked drive, launch TimeMachine (Apple’s backup program) and tell it to backup your hard drive. That’s it - it runs in the background to Backup your entire hard drive. You can restore a file, a folder or the entire hard drive. When you buy a new Mac, you can restore the entire backup image to the new computer.

TimeMachine has worked the same way for over a decade. Apple - it just works

Where do you guys find refurbished laptops with Linux already pre-installed or are you ditching windows after purchase? I've got an older System 76, but those have gotten expensive.

On ebay, if you search on refurbished computers, you can pick what OS installed if any. For Linux, I prefer to just install Linux myself so don't mind picking a refurbished without even a hard drive if price is cheaper that way.

Back
Top Bottom