Anyone have one of these? ASUS EEE PC

I saw one of those at a coffee shop tonight. It was sitting abandoned, charging on the stage, and we had to find the owner so we could set up for a gig. Also saw one of these OLPC PCs.

I think the decaf latte I got was caffeinated, and that's why I'm posting at midnight.

I just picked one up yesterday here in Thailand for slightly less than the US price. I added 2 Gig Ram, XP and tweaked it a bit. This thing flys! But I am still getting used to the key board. I am impressed so far.

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Right. I knew it was dangerous, but it's hard to pass up a free latte.

Keeping somewhat to the subject, the coffee shop/laptop is a real phenomenon. There were probably 15-20 people with laptops at the coffee shop last night. These businesses must really get a boost from this.

I've wondered about the balance between increased customers looking to sip'n'surf and the reduced table turnover.

Of course, this is born of having been in a long line at a restaurant and watching people finish their meal and then pull out a laptop and start using the table as their home office for another half hour. Grrr.

By the way, if you can find 3 or so of those in a row, its a lot of fun to unleash your 3 year old right next to them.

"oh, i'm sorry...are we DISTURBING you?" :)

Of course, this is born of having been in a long line at a restaurant and watching people finish their meal and then pull out a laptop and start using the table as their home office for another half hour. Grrr.

I wrote about 2/3 of one of my books while sitting at a Denny's near my home (though most of that work was done between 11pm and 2am), and I often sit at $tarbuck$ and tap away. Places like these have a unique balance between food and drink (with CAFFINE!) and just enough activities around me to keep me thinking and appropriately distracted away from whatever it is I'm doing when I'm stuck and the words or ideas aren't coming. But that doesn't make me your nemesis; if the place is too crowded there's too many distractions (or is that three-year-olds) to use my time productively.

A friend came down the other day to kayak and sail with me, and lo and behold, he had one of these newfangled eee devices from the mainland. That evening he got ready to surf the net through my wireless linksys router and... nothing.

He got to a message that said it was waiting for a DHCP and just hung. He had that same problem with a linksys server back home but not with a Netgear. I was surfing (the net) fine with my HP laptop, so we knew it wasn't the router. We tried every imaginable setting with no luck, then plugged it in directly and it worked. We then searched the ASUS user groups and found a ton of people with exactly the same problem but no solution.

He emailed linksys support, and within days got a reply with a procedure to follow to enable it to work with linksys, and last I heard it worked. So warning to those of you who can't surf with a linksys router, you might want to email their support group for the same process.

I've been taking my eeepc out in the car with me and trying to find wireless hotspots around my town. My city has a open wireless zone in an area that includes the city building, the library and the natatorium. I can pick up a lot of wireless signals but many of them are encrypted. Today from the library parking lot I could pick up the city's unencrypted signal and I was able to connect. Many times I've seen open "linksys" signals and haven't been able to connect.

I'll look into the linksys support info.

I've tested my Asus on both D-Link and Linksys routers and have not had an issue with either. I do highly recommend increasing the Ram as much as possible. This box handles everything my Toshiba does and is faster. The screen resolution ( 800X480 ) is the only drawback that I have found but the mobility more than makes up for that.

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Back
Top Bottom