Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My son got home from his business trip and got a chance to play with my new eeePC yesterday. I told him about how playing videos from another computer on the network involves the eeePC saving the video to a temp file before it plays and he showed me a way to set it up so that the video can be streamed from the other computer and played immediately. He also looked at the guts of the Linux and found all kinds of programs and utilities.

All in all he was pretty impressed with it, construction, usability and price.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
Asus made a few announcements about their Eee PC product line at the Consumer Electronics Show last week. Their major announcement was not that they've got a bigger-screen version in the works, but that they'll be adding WiMax wireless connectivity to future Eee PCs. They also announced a 16 gigabyte version that will be shipping in Japan, but the rumor mill suggests that it'll simply be an 8 gig Eee PC with an 8 gig SD card installed.

The one (and only) thing that interested me was they announced a new after-market battery for the Eee with a 4.5 to 5 hour run time. Pricing and the availability date was not announced.
Asus also announced at the show an 8.9 inch screen for the Eee, that will be released in the second quarter of this year.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignExchange View Post
Asus also announced at the show an 8.9 inch screen for the Eee, that will be released in the second quarter of this year.
Ooops!!!! I went looking in the CES press materials for exactly that one thing and missed it!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
Ooops!!!! I went looking in the CES press materials for exactly that one thing and missed it!
I don't blame you. A few blogs are saying it, but I've seen nothing in any of the Asus sites. In a few months we'll know one way or another. If it does get released, whether it will hit the right price point, now that's another story. By that time, there may be other competitors out there. Everex has already entered the market with their version of a light weight 7 in. screen.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eee PC Internal Upgrades - ivc wiki

Hacks to add internal USB hub, GPS with antenna, Bluetooth, SDHC Card reader, Flash drive, wifi upgrade, and a modem. All for only $450!

Site has been getting hammered so the photo loads may take a couple of minutes.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:55 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I saw one of those at a coffee shop tonight. It was sitting abandoned, charging on the stage, and we had to find the owner so we could set up for a gig. Also saw one of these OLPC PCs.

I think the decaf latte I got was caffeinated, and that's why I'm posting at midnight.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:51 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

A Wake-Up Call for Coffee Drinkers - Well - Tara Parker-Pope - Health - New York Times Blog
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:23 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just picked one up yesterday here in Thailand for slightly less than the US price. I added 2 Gig Ram, XP and tweaked it a bit. This thing flys! But I am still getting used to the key board. I am impressed so far.

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 02-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Right. I knew it was dangerous, but it's hard to pass up a free latte.

Keeping somewhat to the subject, the coffee shop/laptop is a real phenomenon. There were probably 15-20 people with laptops at the coffee shop last night. These businesses must really get a boost from this.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I've wondered about the balance between increased customers looking to sip'n'surf and the reduced table turnover.

Of course, this is born of having been in a long line at a restaurant and watching people finish their meal and then pull out a laptop and start using the table as their home office for another half hour. Grrr.

By the way, if you can find 3 or so of those in a row, its a lot of fun to unleash your 3 year old right next to them.

"oh, i'm sorry...are we DISTURBING you?"
Old 02-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Of course, this is born of having been in a long line at a restaurant and watching people finish their meal and then pull out a laptop and start using the table as their home office for another half hour. Grrr.
I wrote about 2/3 of one of my books while sitting at a Denny's near my home (though most of that work was done between 11pm and 2am), and I often sit at $tarbuck$ and tap away. Places like these have a unique balance between food and drink (with CAFFINE!) and just enough activities around me to keep me thinking and appropriately distracted away from whatever it is I'm doing when I'm stuck and the words or ideas aren't coming. But that doesn't make me your nemesis; if the place is too crowded there's too many distractions (or is that three-year-olds) to use my time productively.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #32

A friend came down the other day to kayak and sail with me, and lo and behold, he had one of these newfangled eee devices from the mainland. That evening he got ready to surf the net through my wireless linksys router and... nothing.

He got to a message that said it was waiting for a DHCP and just hung. He had that same problem with a linksys server back home but not with a Netgear. I was surfing (the net) fine with my HP laptop, so we knew it wasn't the router. We tried every imaginable setting with no luck, then plugged it in directly and it worked. We then searched the ASUS user groups and found a ton of people with exactly the same problem but no solution.

He emailed linksys support, and within days got a reply with a procedure to follow to enable it to work with linksys, and last I heard it worked. So warning to those of you who can't surf with a linksys router, you might want to email their support group for the same process.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #33

I've been taking my eeepc out in the car with me and trying to find wireless hotspots around my town. My city has a open wireless zone in an area that includes the city building, the library and the natatorium. I can pick up a lot of wireless signals but many of them are encrypted. Today from the library parking lot I could pick up the city's unencrypted signal and I was able to connect. Many times I've seen open "linksys" signals and haven't been able to connect.

I'll look into the linksys support info.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've tested my Asus on both D-Link and Linksys routers and have not had an issue with either. I do highly recommend increasing the Ram as much as possible. This box handles everything my Toshiba does and is faster. The screen resolution ( 800X480 ) is the only drawback that I have found but the mobility more than makes up for that.

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com