Anyone know best deal on a laptop?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My Dell is dying today for. I have gotten 8 good years out of it, and was happy. Am now looking for a new laptop for myself. Anyone have any suggestions--particularly good deals with coupons off the purchase?
What brand is best for a laptop? Anything helps as this one is fading fast...
I basically just email and do searches, but plan to learn Excel soon, too.
Monday (9/29) I start looking to purchase, so need this quickly.

Refurbed Macbook from the online Apple store.

If you're into MS Office, the Office for Mac 2008 works a champ.

$900 for a used computer? And thats the cheap one.

Lets compare the deal I just posted in the cheap notebooks thread to the least expensive refurbished mac book.

Roughly the same processor.

1GB ram vs 4GB in the acer
160gb hard drive vs 250gb
dvd-rom vs dvd writer
no hdmi in the macbook
13" screen vs 16" screen
Stereo vs dolby 5.1 HD audio
Used vs new
$899 vs $599

You have to get up to $1600+ on the used macbook before you even start getting into comparable specs.

Then if you want to run OSX on it, get one of these for $150:
Review: EFiX Dongle Perfectly Transforms PC to Mac

And a copy of Leopard.

Then for about $825 you've got a new machine thats the equivalent of a $2000 used mac book.

Well my intention is not to reprise the usual Mac v. PC debate.

Not sure you can compare specs as from my user's point of view the Mac is easier to use, more reliable, and has superior customer service with the (additional cost) 3 year Applecare agreement. I'll leave the actual specs to those who know that stuff.

I've got phone support (and they actually answer) for three years, support for peripherals such as Airport, and incredibly fast service the one time I needed a fix (Airport died, called them and the new one was at my door less than 24 hours later; this is almost 3 years after its purchase).

So, you want to Dongle to get a Mac (interesting website, not sure I'd be doing that to a new machine) or do you want a Mac? That's the choice I guess, my recommendation stands. Actually, I'd recommend new over refurbed but the original post was looking for cheap.

Well my intention is not to reprise the usual Mac v. PC debate.

Ah, but you have!

Not sure you can compare specs as from my user's point of view the Mac is easier to use

That was probably true in 1998. Studies have shown Windows XP to be about as easy to use as OSX. And Vista to be as easy or easier.

more reliable

Compal and Asus make most laptops, including Apples, from roughly the same components. Actual reliability of Apples equipment is no better than any other first tier laptop. I'm also fairly sure you'll get a much shorter lifespan from a used/refurb'd notebook than a new one.

and has superior customer service with the (additional cost) 3 year Applecare agreement. I'll leave the actual specs to those who know that stuff.

Since I know about that stuff, suffice it to say the Apple machine is slower, has less storage, and will do less work before slowing down.

You can buy 3 year extended warranty/tech support from almost anyone. Dell offers direct access to their 2nd/3rd tier support. Apple does give better quality hand holding to technical neophytes, at a cost of hundreds to thousands of dollars.

I've got phone support (and they actually answer) for three years, support for peripherals such as Airport, and incredibly fast service the one time I needed a fix (Airport died, called them and the new one was at my door less than 24 hours later; this is almost 3 years after its purchase).

About the same as what you can get from anyone. Heck, you could keep the money for the tech support and if anything happened to the computer, you could just throw it out and buy a new one and still have money leftover in your pocket. And a new fully modern machine.

So, you want to Dongle to get a Mac (interesting website, not sure I'd be doing that to a new machine) or do you want a Mac? That's the choice I guess, my recommendation stands. Actually, I'd recommend new over refurbed but the original post was looking for cheap.

You wouldnt stick something into a USB port on a new computer? Pretty conservative. Actually you dont need to even do that. There are well published instructions on how to get mac OSX to run on pc hardware that isnt apple branded. Its just a little extra work up front.

But I dont think its really worthwhile to bother.

Plus...unless I'm mistaken...Orchidflower is a PC user, not a mac user, so changing to a completely different OS at a substantially higher cost to gain really nothing measurable doesnt sound like a great recommendation.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/five_reasons_why_vista_beats_mac_os_x
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9075000

I use a PC, so you are correct. The one I have now is a Dell laptop Windows XP. It has lasted thru many hours per day for 8 years, but the space bar sticks alot now (preventing spaces between words) and occasionally works (like now); however, I never know when it will go again as it seems to work and then not work (spaces and then doesn't space as in: "nofun" and "no fun" for an example).
Just looking for something good about $1,000 or so probably--and light enough to carry around if I start to travel. My needs are simple as I am no pro user like some of the good folks on this board.

So far, I have joined for one month ($5.95) "Consumer Reports" which doesn't give all that much information in my opinion and epinions.com (a good site in general for info. on many items other than computers), plus a couple other feedback sites on laptops. Guess I will check Amazon.com, too. Couponmountain.com has coupons off for Dells and HP's, by the way, which looked pretty good. FYI.

Dell has a 14"er and a couple of 15"ers. Both are ~4.9-5.2lbs and small enough to carry around in a travel bag.

They're around $550-850, depending on the features you like.

Unless you have some special needs, I dont see why the acer 15" from officemax thats in the cheap notebooks thread wouldnt do you fine for $525.

For a 15" dell this isnt bad
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Nice 14" with a very good screen
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

search fatwallet and slickdeals before you pull the trigger. i just got a super deal by browsing thos sites.... pentium core 2 duo 1.9 ghz, 200 gb HD, 512 mb video card!,3 gb ram, dvd burner, etc etc for 500

I looked. Not much of note this week.

One other thing you might try is to go to dell, click on dell home and then click on the 'dell outlet'.

Pretty much follow the menus. Pick out the specs you like. You can pick "previously ordered new" systems which are machines someone ordered and then canceled. There are also lots of refurbished systems. 95% of Dell refurbs are systems people bought, used for a few weeks and then returned because they didnt like it. Dell often offers 3 year extended warranty on their refurbs for very low prices.

I just looked and there are a ton of canceled-order 15" laptops for ~$400. Best part is the unit is already built so it ships immediately.

If you see one you like, grab it. They dont last long. Dell dumps new systems into the database on a fairly continuous basis, so if you dont see what you like, keep looking periodically.

I've bought two of their 'refurbs' and as far as I could tell they were new machines.

If you want something small and light, an Asus EeePC 901 seems to be a good buy at $599 at circuit city. I just got one for DW, who does not use Excel or Word, only email and web browsing. DW's is a Japanese language machine and has OpenOffice installed on it...not Excel, not Word, but a reasonable facsimile if you are not a power user. I like it so much I'm going to get one for myself for browsing and emailing from the sofa while DW watches TV (I'm not much into TV). I have the compaq big screen (heavy - but also has a 10-key pad on the keyboard) for the heavy stuff like spreadsheets and powerpoint files. The compaq was about $970 with Office, anti-virus, and anti-spy installed...but it is very heavy. I "thought" I wanted the big beautiful screen, and it is nice, but I certainly do not like lugging it thru airports or trying to sling it around with one hand. The EeePC on the other hand is small enough to fit in DW's medium large purse, and will be perfect for checking email, stock prices, and this forum while we are on the road. For such a small PC it is fast (flash memory instead of a hard drive). Pros: small convenient size, lite-weight, fast for its size, battery lasts about 6 hours, nice price. Cons: keyboard is a little cramped if you type a lot, no DVD/CD player, no hard drive means limited storage space (necessary if you keep your iPod music on it).

R

Took a look in the outlet. These are all killer machines with very good specs for the price...I kept the outlet search settings in the shot so you can see what they look like.

Attachments

• dell outlet.JPG
    dell outlet.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 17
I wish I had your computer tech knowedge. I'm at the email and search level still. If I can hit "enter" and get the address bar to search, I'm in heaven..ha! ha!
Had no idea that Dell sold ordered--but not paid for machines--this sounds good.

**Cute fuzzy bunny: how do I find the outlet store? (Probably a stupid question, but please bear with me on this one.) Do you have a LINK?

Orchidflower, I am perfectly happy with a cheap Toshiba laptop from Office Depot. The price of the cheapest ones seem to vary from week to week depending on their sales, but usually range from around $450 to $650 maybe. I was lucky, and the week that my last laptop croaked they had this one for around $450-$500.

Good luck and I hope you get one you like! :D

The good news is that even the wimpiest machine will be 5x more powerful than any 8 year old laptop.

delloutlet.com

goto laptops on the left

then click 'see inventory' or something like that

you can then specify your search paramaters...pricing....hard drive size etc etc

very worthwhile...if you know what youre looking for, every once in a while SUPEr deals get dumped on there...but you better order ASAP if you see it...within seconds they are gone

Thank you for all the wonderful information! I certainly appreciate the help.
This minute the space bar is working...in another minute it may not. Really frustrating, for sure. Time for a new computer, but I did get my money's worth on this one I think as I used it probably 5 hrs. a day for 8 years for about $1,300 max. total (prices were higher then and I had add-on luxuries). We all gotta die someday. I'll try and not cry at the funeral.

Thank you for all the wonderful information! I certainly appreciate the help.
This minute the space bar is working...in another minute it may not. Really frustrating, for sure. Time for a new computer, but I did get my money's worth on this one I think as I used it probably 5 hrs. a day for 8 years for about $1,300 max. total (prices were higher then and I had add-on luxuries). We all gotta die someday. I'll try and not cry at the funeral.

take it to a repair shop
a keyboard can be replaced
you can also hook up a desktop keyboard to your laptop

Orchidflower,

I bought a Dell Vostro 14" laptop based on CFB's recommendation and have been happy with the purchase. The Dell outlet has some good deals, just keep checking for the right one at the best price.

Dealspl.us

To get the best deal, you have to know what you want and quickly make the purchase when a good deal appears.

My favorite deal site is:
Coupons and Deals - DealsPlus

Last week, they reported a very good Dell laptop for $525 delivered.
The specs included: Core2Duo, 3 gb, 250 gb hard drive

These deals generally appear about once a month but you need to move quickly.

Mike Honeycutt

Back
Top Bottom