Anyone tried the Obi110 VOIP system?

modhatter

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have an Ooma that I use and works pretty good, but it costs about $200.
They now have a new device out called the Obi110 that cost less than $50 and seems to do same thing and has good reviews on Amazon. Just wondering if anyone tried it. Tried to link it for you, but can't for some reason.

I don't understand how this works if you want to port your old land-line number (which I've ported to two VOIP providers so far).

IIRC, with Ooma, you can pay a one-time fee to port your number to them, then (almost) unlimited local/LD calls are free (monthly 911 fee?).

But with this Obi110. it seems you either need to have a google voice # (can't port a land line I don't think), or pay a separate VOIP provider? I get confused at that point.

-ERD50

OOMA provides 911 service, Obi does not. The extra cost of OOMA was worth it last year when I needed to call for an ambulance.

OOMA provides 911 service, Obi does not. The extra cost of OOMA was worth it last year when I needed to call for an ambulance.

Yes, that could be very important. And is this Obi110 really cheaper if you need to pay someone for a VOIP service to take incoming calls to your old #?

-ERD50

Its my understanding that you can port your number. I remember reading also about your calls from Google being sent to your cell number as well.
I think your right on the 411, but can't remember for sure.

Certainly would be worth it for a second line.

Its my understanding that you can port your number. I remember reading also about your calls from Google being sent to your cell number as well.
I think your right on the 411, but can't remember for sure.

Certainly would be worth it for a second line.

Not so easy.

Obihai - Landline Porting to Google Voice

Back to Tutorials
This tutorial will guide you through the process of porting your home's landline number to Google Voice. Once your landline number is ported, you can eliminate the landline's monthly fee and use your home phone number on the OBi with Google Voice.

Since Google does not support porting landline numbers to Google Voice directly, this requires a two-step process that we will describe in greater detail below. In essence, you will first port your landline number to a mobile service number and then the mobile service number (originally your landline number) to become your Google Voice number.

Requirements: An unlocked mobile phone (with SIM card access) and a pre-paid SIM card from T-Mobile available here (link).

1. Check if your home phone number can be ported or transferred to T-Mobile. Click here to check.
2. If your number is eligible for transfer, buy a prepaid SIM card from T-Mobile here (link)or at any authorized T-Mobile dealer. This will cost approximately $7.
3. When you receive the prepaid SIM card, activate the SIM card using the instructions included with the T-Mobile package. You will choose a new (temporary) number and PIN. Insert the SIM card into an unlocked phone and make a few test calls — call in and call out.
4. Call T-Mobile's activation department at 1-800-937-8997. Request to port your landline number to your new prepaid SIM account.
5. In 1 to 3 days, you will receive confirmation that the number port is complete, check to see that the number is working properly — E.g. Your old landline number is now the mobile number.
6.Go to your Google Voice account and request to port your T-Mobile number to Google Voice. This is found in, "Voice Settings." Look for the"Change/Port" link (click here for example screen shot). Google will charge a one-time fee of $20 for this service. You will need to provide your T-Mobile account number 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx (this is your original T-Mobile number) and your PIN. Google will call the mobile number for activation purposes, so be sure to have your unlocked phone in which you inserted the prepaid SIM card.
7. In 1-3 days, Google will email you to confirm the porting is complete.

You may now start using your landline number with Google Voice on your OBi!

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom