Join Early Retirement Today

Re: are re's just career misfits
Old 03-14-2006, 09:28 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

No, but as you get older, that's about the only way you can. Iwas going to say if you could hum a few bars, I could fake it, but decided against it.

setab
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Made me wonder if she had a lisp, or who the heck 'faith' was...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think I was ever intended to be a worker drone. I can still remember back as a little kid. There was a nice old lady who lived in a farmhouse at the top of the hill who used to watch me during the day, so this was pre-nursery school. Things just seemed so carefree back then, playing with tinker toys and reading Cat in the Hat and Curious George books, running around in the cornfields, playing hide-and-seek in the big pile of concrete culvert pipes that were dumped back at the edge of the woods, pretending I was driving the old Diamond-T tractor rig that was also dumped back there, etc. No worries, no cares, no responsibilities, no STRESS!

I remember my babysitter asking me what I wanted to be when I grew up. And I still remember saying that I didn't WANT to grow up. I just wanted to be a kid all my life! Uh-oh, I hope that isn't sounding too Michael-Jacksonish!

But I think that little kid has still been with me all these years. And I look forward to the day that I can just tell my company up-chuck on all of it, and be totally workplace-free.

But I'd have to find a different cornfield to play in now, because there's a school there now. And the culvert pipes are gone. The old Diamond-T either got smashed flat or hauled away years ago, and there's a soccer field roughly where it used to sit. And my babysitter's been dead for years. The farmhouse is still there though, but I guess it would be kinda weird if I went to the front door and ask the old guy who lives there to babysit me and read Curious George to me!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:58 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

[The farmhouse is still there though, but I guess it would be kinda weird if I went to the front door and ask the old guy who lives there to babysit me and read Curious George to me!
You never know until you knock on the door.

setab
Old 03-14-2006, 10:11 AM   #25

I don't think I was a career misfit. I always knew that I didn't want to work in private industry and be tied to the goal of making a profit for some corporation. I was drawn toward government service even though it was the height of the Viet Nam war and faith in our government was at an all time low (until the Katrina fiasco ). I entered gov't service in a internship program that let me try out various career paths for the first year. I found that I had real ability to figure out the reality behind budget and cost numbers. I also found that working for NASA gave me a sense of contributing to the success of something important. All of that not withstanding, at the earliest date I was eligible to retire, I did and have absolutely no regrets. My career was satisfying but I still prefer to completely set my own agenda, which I now do every day.

Grumpy
Old 03-14-2006, 10:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Don't look now, but the public sector isn't all that different, especially if you work for the military, where a new commander comes in every 18 months to two years. They all have better ways to do something that will make what you are doing more efficient. (Of course, they aren't at all concerned about punching their ticket for the next promotion. It's purely patriotism on their part.) Sooner or latter the endless waves of recycled, reorganized, regurgitated nonthink succeed in destroying the will of the organization. Sometime I'll tell you what I really think. Anyway, I'm done with all that and if that makes me a misfit, I wear it proudly!

Hmm. Politics in the public and private sector. Who would have thunkit. I know that government is polarized strongly right now with each trying to do ridiculous attention getting stunts and often overshooting the middle ground. Our state (Wisconsin) has gotten pretty bad with both sides issuing press releases right and left.

I think the problem is with INTJ’s. They simply cant fight their nature in an increasing polarized world.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_cat
shaved
Of course the camel is shaved... if it weren't, it would be a beaver......
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy the Turbo Beagle
I think the problem is with INTJ’s. They simply cant fight their nature in an increasing polarized world.
Maybe that explains it. Most military commanders are INTJ's. I'm ENFP, not that I put a lot of stock in that stuff, but still, it's interesting.

setab
Old 03-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I confess that I was truly a heathen in the corporate church. Its sweet revenge to have the money and not the long term longing for their agenda and pavlovic manipulation. I am the CEO of my life, something that only an ER'ed corporate survivor can truly fathom. My corner office moves around, but this afternoon it will be my favorite lounge chair near the pool, with a nice gin and tonic in hand. I fully expect that I will make important CEO decisions from that vantage point. I may counsult my two dachsunds for advice, especially if I can lure them to my important meeting with my bowl of peanuts that DW always brings with the afternoon refreshment. Cheers!
Old 03-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX
I confess that I was truly a heathen in the corporate church.* Its sweet revenge to have the money and not the long term longing for their agenda and pavlovic manipulation.* I am the CEO of my life, something that only an ER'ed corporate survivor can truly fathom.* My corner office moves around, but this afternoon it will be my favorite lounge chair near the pool, with a nice gin and tonic in hand.* I fully expect that I will make important CEO decisions from that vantage point. I may counsult my two dachsunds for advice, especially if I can lure them to my important meeting with my bowl of peanuts that DW always brings with the afternoon refreshment.* Cheers!
Are their names Zeus and Apollo? Is your real name Higgins or Robin Masters?
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Ah, the lads.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
or did i simply miss my calling? mom taught that i should find something i enjoy doing that would also make some money. so while sunning on the flybridge one day, anchored off lauderdale beach, i announced i would become a prostitute. i was 17 going for shock value or an increase in my allowance, maybe both. without missing a beat, mom told me she recently read happy hooker and xavier didn't think i should.

i must have had four majors in college. even though i've been around people who knew what they wanted to be, i never got the concept, never found a job i really wanted. my career was nothing more than building a resume. i'm retired 8 months now. cleaning out my desk at home, i just tossed my resume in the garbage, and i'm wondering: if i loved my job, would i still be working?
Yup, Pretty much described me! - I never did figure out what I wanted to do for a living. I never wanted to do anything for money. Being a hooker is no less demeaning than being a software engineer. In fact we used to call ourselves - 'Software Hookers' - We'd do anything for money! 8)
Old 03-14-2006, 06:35 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
In fact we used to call ourselves - 'Software Hookers' - We'd do anything for money! 8)
To mangle George Bernard Shaw, we weren't debating your occupation-- only the quality of your work...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
To mangle George Bernard Shaw, we weren't debating your occupation-- only the quality of your work...
We might have been hookers, but our quality of work was unsurpassed!
Old 03-16-2006, 05:48 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I never knew instinctively what I wanted to do.
I watched my family open a small business which was a business 101 course on what not to do in the business world. New business...small town... supporting 11 people. Crashed and burned like a loaded B-24 exploding at the wing root.
Like that other guy, I was one who came of age during lthe Vietnam War and the draft and was much less worldly than I am now.
It didn't make too much sense to make another man rich so I went to work for the feds in defense. Spent greater than 35 years and am retiring in 2 weeks. I can easily see why the kids (those under 35) don't want to pay their dues etc. About the time you spend two hours waiting in line for the ride, they shut the ride down.
Corporations exist to make money for their sharholders. Their employees are just tools to that end. Knowing and realizing that, I never understood why everyone from software engineers to janitors didn't form hard core unions that united against an employer like they do in Europe. The unions there don't strike over everything but the management and the government surely take them more seriously than they do here.
I am 56 and still trying to decide what I'd like to do when I grow up.
Is there something between being a pharmacy tech making 10 bucks and a pharmacist that makes 50?
Gpax7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:05 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpax7
I never knew instinctively what I wanted to do.
I watched my family open a small business which was a business 101 course on what not to do in the business world. New business...small town... supporting 11 people. Crashed and burned like a loaded B-24 exploding at the wing root.
Like that other guy, I was one who came of age during lthe Vietnam War and the draft and was much less worldly than I am now.
It didn't make too much sense to make another man rich so I went to work for the feds in defense. Spent greater than 35 years and am retiring in 2 weeks. I can easily see why the kids (those under 35) don't want to pay their dues etc. About the time you spend two hours waiting in line for the ride, they shut the ride down.
Corporations exist to make money for their sharholders. Their employees are just tools to that end. Knowing and realizing that, I never understood why everyone from software engineers to janitors didn't form hard core unions that united against an employer like they do in Europe. The unions there don't strike over everything but the management and the government surely take them more seriously than they do here.
I am 56 and still trying to decide what I'd like to do when I grow up.
Is there something between being a pharmacy tech making 10 bucks and a pharmacist that makes 50?
A "pharmaceutical" vendor who makes 16 bucks an hour but occasionally takes one for the team?

By the way, a company might be in business to make money for its shareholders (amen), but to borrow from the Simpsons, if "all they ever did for you was give you a job for 30 years" it doesn't sound like there's much to complain about......
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote