are re's just career misfits

Don't look now, but the public sector isn't all that different, especially if you work for the military, where a new commander comes in every 18 months to two years. They all have better ways to do something that will make what you are doing more efficient. (Of course, they aren't at all concerned about punching their ticket for the next promotion. It's purely patriotism on their part.) Sooner or latter the endless waves of recycled, reorganized, regurgitated nonthink succeed in destroying the will of the organization. Sometime I'll tell you what I really think. Anyway, I'm done with all that and if that makes me a misfit, I wear it proudly!

Hmm. Politics in the public and private sector. Who would have thunkit. I know that government is polarized strongly right now with each trying to do ridiculous attention getting stunts and often overshooting the middle ground. Our state (Wisconsin) has gotten pretty bad with both sides issuing press releases right and left.

I think the problem is with INTJ’s. They simply cant fight their nature in an increasing polarized world.

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
I think the problem is with INTJ’s. They simply cant fight their nature in an increasing polarized world.

Maybe that explains it. Most military commanders are INTJ's. I'm ENFP, not that I put a lot of stock in that stuff, but still, it's interesting.

setab

I confess that I was truly a heathen in the corporate church. Its sweet revenge to have the money and not the long term longing for their agenda and pavlovic manipulation. I am the CEO of my life, something that only an ER'ed corporate survivor can truly fathom. My corner office moves around, but this afternoon it will be my favorite lounge chair near the pool, with a nice gin and tonic in hand. I fully expect that I will make important CEO decisions from that vantage point. I may counsult my two dachsunds for advice, especially if I can lure them to my important meeting with my bowl of peanuts that DW always brings with the afternoon refreshment. Cheers!

LEX said:
I confess that I was truly a heathen in the corporate church.  Its sweet revenge to have the money and not the long term longing for their agenda and pavlovic manipulation.  I am the CEO of my life, something that only an ER'ed corporate survivor can truly fathom.  My corner office moves around, but this afternoon it will be my favorite lounge chair near the pool, with a nice gin and tonic in hand.  I fully expect that I will make important CEO decisions from that vantage point. I may counsult my two dachsunds for advice, especially if I can lure them to my important meeting with my bowl of peanuts that DW always brings with the afternoon refreshment.  Cheers!

Are their names Zeus and Apollo? Is your real name Higgins or Robin Masters?

lazygood4nothinbum said:
or did i simply miss my calling? mom taught that i should find something i enjoy doing that would also make some money. so while sunning on the flybridge one day, anchored off lauderdale beach, i announced i would become a prostitute. i was 17 going for shock value or an increase in my allowance, maybe both. without missing a beat, mom told me she recently read happy hooker and xavier didn't think i should.

i must have had four majors in college. even though i've been around people who knew what they wanted to be, i never got the concept, never found a job i really wanted. my career was nothing more than building a resume. i'm retired 8 months now. cleaning out my desk at home, i just tossed my resume in the garbage, and i'm wondering: if i loved my job, would i still be working?

Yup, Pretty much described me! - I never did figure out what I wanted to do for a living. I never wanted to do anything for money. Being a hooker is no less demeaning than being a software engineer. In fact we used to call ourselves - 'Software Hookers' - We'd do anything for money! 8)

Cut-Throat said:
In fact we used to call ourselves - 'Software Hookers' - We'd do anything for money! 8)
To mangle George Bernard Shaw, we weren't debating your occupation-- only the quality of your work...

Nords said:
To mangle George Bernard Shaw, we weren't debating your occupation-- only the quality of your work...

We might have been hookers, but our quality of work was unsurpassed! ;)

I never knew instinctively what I wanted to do.
I watched my family open a small business which was a business 101 course on what not to do in the business world. New business...small town... supporting 11 people. Crashed and burned like a loaded B-24 exploding at the wing root.
Like that other guy, I was one who came of age during lthe Vietnam War and the draft and was much less worldly than I am now.
It didn't make too much sense to make another man rich so I went to work for the feds in defense. Spent greater than 35 years and am retiring in 2 weeks. I can easily see why the kids (those under 35) don't want to pay their dues etc. About the time you spend two hours waiting in line for the ride, they shut the ride down.
Corporations exist to make money for their sharholders. Their employees are just tools to that end. Knowing and realizing that, I never understood why everyone from software engineers to janitors didn't form hard core unions that united against an employer like they do in Europe. The unions there don't strike over everything but the management and the government surely take them more seriously than they do here.
I am 56 and still trying to decide what I'd like to do when I grow up.
Is there something between being a pharmacy tech making 10 bucks and a pharmacist that makes 50?

Gpax7 said:
I never knew instinctively what I wanted to do.
I watched my family open a small business which was a business 101 course on what not to do in the business world. New business...small town... supporting 11 people. Crashed and burned like a loaded B-24 exploding at the wing root.
Like that other guy, I was one who came of age during lthe Vietnam War and the draft and was much less worldly than I am now.
It didn't make too much sense to make another man rich so I went to work for the feds in defense. Spent greater than 35 years and am retiring in 2 weeks. I can easily see why the kids (those under 35) don't want to pay their dues etc. About the time you spend two hours waiting in line for the ride, they shut the ride down.
Corporations exist to make money for their sharholders. Their employees are just tools to that end. Knowing and realizing that, I never understood why everyone from software engineers to janitors didn't form hard core unions that united against an employer like they do in Europe. The unions there don't strike over everything but the management and the government surely take them more seriously than they do here.
I am 56 and still trying to decide what I'd like to do when I grow up.
Is there something between being a pharmacy tech making 10 bucks and a pharmacist that makes 50?

A "pharmaceutical" vendor who makes 16 bucks an hour but occasionally takes one for the team? ;)

By the way, a company might be in business to make money for its shareholders (amen), but to borrow from the Simpsons, if "all they ever did for you was give you a job for 30 years" it doesn't sound like there's much to complain about......

Back
Top Bottom