Are you tired of CO shooter coverage yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
[rant] I am. What happened is awful, tragic to be sure. But all the media coverage about the event, and especially the deranged shooter himself might help create these monsters. I have to believe these things happen because desparate losers/loners are seeking ultimately seeking attention. Why else would someone shoot total strangers at random? All the coverage on this shooter, may be appealing to another desparate individual out there who feels trapped with nothing to lose. We give them a way to come out of the shadows for 15 minutes of fame. I wonder what would happen if there was less coverage and what there was focused entirely on victims and their families, actions that might prevent a recurrence and less if at all on the perpetrator? Ignore the sicko as much as possible, don't make them (in)famous... [/rant]

Last edited:
Most of the coverage I've seen has been about the victims and their families at this point (probably because there are so many of them, so a lot of news space/time can be filled with it).

You know who's not tired of all the Colorado shooting coverage? Penn State and the NCAA--probably relieved to have the news cameras and reporters looking somewhere else this week.

Most of the coverage i've seen is about the victims and their families and that's the part i'm sick of. I don't have cable so i'm talking about internet coverage.

I live here and I was sick of it after the first 15 minutes.

I have watched almost no coverage. I know the basics what more needs to be known. The MSM will gorge of this as long as possible which is why I don't watch much news any more. I read the paper daily, I know what is happening.

Yep, tired of it, it's a terrible event and tragic all around. I don't understand the fascination or the news media.

I can't imagine what the victims' familes are going through. I do believe for the families, the story that should be told, remembered is that in that crazy time, how folks helped each other...to boyfriends that shielding their girlfriends from gunfire, for example.

Also, the coverage make me think about other questions:

(<whisphering as dont' want this thread to come to a halt with Porky>...Will gun laws be a topic in the election?).

Or, can a person fake insanity? I think it can't be faked..

The shooter's odd behavior in the court room makes one wonder.

Any thoughts on making the shooter (in)famous specifically? That's a significant issue in all this IMO...

I've missed the coverage other than it happened - when and where. I guess that shows how much I've managed to turn off the outside noise. Consider turning off the news and talk shows - it's quite refreshing! Anything important can be picked up with a quick Internet search or feed. Then you can pursue any story that might be important to you. Otherwise, get rid of it!

Same here. I spend little time in front of the TV. And when I do, I avoid news channels like the plague.

Good point--no one is forcing us to read the online news, turn on the TV news, read the stories in the newspapers--easy to skip past anything we're tired of.

Any thoughts on making the shooter (in)famous specifically? That's a significant issue in all this IMO...

I have noticed that the news channels I have watched have specifically noted that they will not speak his name as to not give him any publicity. That's for the future psychos out there that want their fame. I think it is a good idea but these events are out there and anyone crazy enough to act this way probably doesn't think clearly enough to know or care whether the name is not being used by some networks.

Good point--no one is forcing us to read the online news, turn on the TV news, read the stories in the newspapers--easy to skip past anything we're tired of.

Also, with a DVR, one can do the pause trick. To start the news then pause live TV. Find someting to get occupied as the program is bufferring.

When ready, start the news program but fast forward past the news stories uninterested in.

I guess that shows how much I've managed to turn off the outside noise.

I envy your success at that Audrey. I try, I really do. I've changed my home page to avoid having controversy and/or sensationalism pop up when I log into the Internet. I never watch political commentary on TV, even on public TV. I try to limit radio time to a local non-sensationalized news-only station and to a local college FM station which plays jazz/folk/blues and has no commentary or editorials at all. Etc.

I've even been avoiding friends who seem to want to rant or gossip about the world as they see it.

Yet, the over done stories, sensationalized news reporting, biased political commentary and constant repetition still seem to be annoyingly present.

What's the trick to just being able to turn it off internally so you don't care what's coming out of the radio speaker or a friend's mouth?

Last edited:
Same here. I spend little time in front of the TV. And when I do, I avoid news channels like the plague.

Pretty much my take on it. We never watch live tv, so our exposure to the shooting story is headlines on the news sites we occasionally check. I don't click on the stories because I don't care about the details.

I envy your success at that Audrey. I try, I really do. I've changed my home page to avoid having controversy and/or sensationalism pop up when I log into the Internet. I never watch political commentary on TV, even on public TV. I try to limit radio time to a local non-sensationalized news-only station and to a local college FM station which plays jazz/folk/blues and has no commentary or editorials at all. Etc.

I've even been avoiding friends who seem to want to rant or gossip about the world as they see it.

Yet, the over done stories, sensationalized news reporting, biased political commentary and constant repetition still seem to be annoyingly present.

What's the trick to just being able to turn it off internally so you don't care what's coming out of the radio speaker or a friend's mouth?
I simply don't watch/listen to any news or talk TV or radio. I guess I really had to turn to all off. I do read many business/economic news related web sites, and there it's easy enough to skip over the sensationalized or politicized stuff. If I'm the one reading/surfing I find it much easier to ignore the crap even if it's a paragraph in an article or a reader's comment. In any case, there is considerably less of it so it doesn't seem quite so jarring or offensive.

I don't watch TV and am much happier for it.

The news channels have figured how to push people's buttons. Are you afraid that if you don't watch the news you'll be dangerously ill-informed? That's what they want you to think. They want you to believe that if you don't hang on to every word, you'll miss out on something totally critical to your personal safety and well being. They want you hanging to the edge of your seat and they drag out everything as long as they can. For them, it's eyeballs and advertising $$. For you it's feeling super stressed and anxious all the time and feeling like you have to tune in again soon, or leave it on "just in case". For me the only thing I tune into "just in case" is local bad weather.

Apparently many people on cruises or out on vacation in some far off place get very anxious if they can't tune into their news every night or morning even though all that can obviously wait until they return home. They've been "programmed" to behave the way.

Well, very little of what happens outside of your immediate community has any immediate affect on your life and the important stuff can be gleaned and learned about on your own terms and at a slower pace.

The answer to all that is to turn it off and get a life. It's a load of crap.

It's very unpleasant to watch, but no, I'm not sick of it. I want to know about this. What happened? What can we learn from this? How can we work to prevent future tragedies like this?

Now all the political stuff - yeah - sick of that particularly since I'm in a "swing state". But this seems important to me and I feel so deeply for those who have suffered. I want to know and remember them.

I don't watch much TV either. However I had CNN on while I was looking at ER.org on my iPad and all they could talk about was the shooting. They showed the courtroom video with the idiot shooter and his red/orange hair and grimaces and then they went on and on about how he boobytrapped his apartment. That's what prompted this thread frankly. I thought why are they focused on the monster? They should refer to the shooters as little as possible and in the most unflattering manner possible when they do IMO. Don't give them the satisfaction of any attention, might just help breed more of them...FWIW.

Midpack said:
I don't watch much TV either. However I had CNN on while I was looking at ER.org on my iPad and all they could talk about was the shooting. They showed the courtroom video with the idiot shooter and his red/orange hair and grimaces and then they went on and on about how he boobytrapped his apartment. That's what prompted this thread frankly. I thought why are they focused on the monster? They should refer to the shooters as little as possible and in the most unflattering manner possible when they do IMO. Don't give them the satisfaction of any attention, might just help breed more of them...FWIW.

I'm throwing my hat in here with my pal Midpack. Well, I guess I usually do.

What happened was horrible and the victims and loved ones deserve privacy.

I gave up on CNN years ago. Their coverage is superficial and inane. Once upon a time it was quite good. No longer.

I'm sorry for the families. After you've heard what happened (takes about 2 minutes) there's really not much to the story. It's horrific but not interesting (to me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom