“Aloha hana hou, I’m (still) Nords!”

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
I should’ve seen this coming.

Last week Walt34 mentioned the “Fog Of Work” post that was written here over 11 years ago, and I responded that someday I’m going to add it to another book.
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/finding-purpose-in-retirement-105780.html#post2493397

A few minutes later, a PM popped up in my queue:
Re: Your famous old post.
Hi Nords, I also enjoyed that earlier "fog" post of yours - but I am wondering, about these books, are there really some you have written, or is this some kind of inside joke?

Um.

For extra irony points, did I mention that I just turned 60 years old? I’m still financially independent (and will be even more so for the rest of my life), but I might be aging out of the “retire early” part of FIRE.

For the benefit of those who I haven’t met yet, here’s my response to that anonymous member:
My name is Doug Nordman, and my poster name ‘Nords’ is the family-friendly version of the nickname I picked up in the U.S. Navy's submarine force.
If there's an inside joke on this forum, it's that my first book was crowdsourced with the advice and stories of over 70 military servicemembers, vets, and families on this forum. That happened here between 2005-09 and the book was published in 2011.
I give all of my writing revenue to military-friendly charities, and the people who helped with the book had a vote on choosing Fisher House Foundation and Wounded Warrior Project.
My co-author on my second book, Carol Pittner, is my daughter.
The titles are down there in my signature. If you're near a U.S. public library, or if you have access to a U.S. military base library, then you'll probably find at least one of those books in their catalogs.

For the rest of you who've seen me here over the last 17+ years:
Carol and I are in the middle of a [-]victory lap[/-] book promotion for the next few months, and when that tapers off a little (they never really end) then I’ll resume work on the next projects. If you’re interested in helping out under the same volunteer terms, here’s what’s on my decennial To Do list.

1. An audiobook version of “The Military Guide.” The publisher never got around to this project, and they recently relinquished the audiobook rights to me. I know how to record an audiobook now, and it’s a very effective writing/editing tool, so I’m doing it in two stages.
1.a. The first audio edition will be the original text of The Military Guide with some bonus material for new(er) benefits like the Roth TSP, the Blended Retirement System, and VA disability screenings. Most of that bonus material has already been posted on the blog.
1.b. The second audio edition will accompany the second edition of The Military Guide. This will be a total rewrite and re-recording. Everyone who bought the first edition of the audio book will be automatically (or manually) upgraded to the second edition for free.

2. The second edition of The Military Guide. Depending on how fast I write the manuscript (not very), the publisher is willing to release it as an eBook. The distributor (National Book Network) can use Amazon’s Create Space print-on-demand services.
2.a. If the publisher loses interest then I’ll self-publish.

3. My third book will be about sustainable financial independence, cleverly titled something like “Financial Independence For Life.”
Last year, at the callow age of 59, my spouse and I attended a FI Chautauqua. (Highly recommended.) When we looked around the room at the attendees, some of whom were already FI, we realized that we had far more FI experience... even more than JL Collins.
Meanwhile other attendees (well on their way to FI) had a firm grasp of the math yet grappled with the existential questions like “What will I DO all day... and for the rest of my life?!?” Well, golly, I have >18 years of answers to get them started.
During that week, Alan Donegan (of PopUp Business School fame) moderated a creativity session. With the help of a handful of attendees, I collected bullet points for the book outline. All I have to do now is build the outline and draft the manuscript, right?

4. For those of you who’ve wondered when the heck I’m going to publish the military insurance guide, it’s still on the list. I think the solution will be a series of 100-page booklets on individual military insurance programs. Some of you may have read similar shorter formats from William Bernstein and Mike Piper.

That’s the plan, although I’m allergic to deadlines. Feel free to ask questions or send along any material you’d like to see in the books. (If you've already sent me something, it's still in my database.) When I have actual audio files or draft chapters, then I’ll form another social group here to post the material for feedback & editing.

Welcome back, Nords! We miss you when you post less frequently. Good to hear that you are still happy and busy, and still turning out great material in your books.

Welcome back!

That's so cool you have the book project with your daughter. I didn't know that about you. It would be cool if there was a worthwhile enterprise I could find to w*rk on with a kiddo. They both w*rk for the man, which ain't bad. One owns a house and the other looking to some day...that will give us stuff to work on together.

Welcome back, Nords! We miss you when you post less frequently. Good to hear that you are still happy and busy, and still turning out great material in your books.

Ditto.

Heh heh heh - Sent my Nephew your book. Navy retired after 20. The only effect seems to be he backed out of an intense contractor offer and took a layed back teaching job. Still in the greater DC orbit though. Keep up the good work. :greetings10:

Well, it seems you are still 'working' but doing what you like. I saw you in the FI Chataqua video and laughed as you are correct, you've been doing that FI stuff longer than almost all of the panel members.

As for welcome back - well, I guess so. I know you are a lurker here and at Bogleheads.

As for irony from the poster, well, we've all been there at times, especially as we get older and have added a few more loops around the block :)

But, welcome back and thanks for the down-brief on your COAs for the next few years. ;-)

Good to hear from you. I always enjoy your informative posts, I am not military, but still learn something, and have sent your information to family military folks.

...and the question is asked, 'what will you do all day'.... It's great to hear from you. :greetings10:

For extra irony points, did I mention that I just turned 60 years old? I’m still financially independent (and will be even more so for the rest of my life), but I might be aging out of the “retire early” part of FIRE.

<SNIP> <SNIP>

Hey, you DID retire early and no one can ever take that away from you as long as you live! Much aloha.

How about strategic nuclear submarine warfare? USA vs Russia vs China?

Sub vs sub, high value land targets, safe havens, Tom Clancy type detail.

I'll kindle buy it - :)

There was some stuff in Hunt for Red October that Tom Clancy probably should not have known.

That's so cool you have the book project with your daughter. I didn't know that about you. It would be cool if there was a worthwhile enterprise I could find to w*rk on with a kiddo. They both w*rk for the man, which ain't bad. One owns a house and the other looking to some day...that will give us stuff to work on together.
Both books have come from reader questions. For the second one, Carol was in the middle of planning her transition from active duty to the Navy Reserves, and she was probably worried about her next steps. When I told her about the questions on raising money-smart kids, she lit up with her memories and stories.

I know how to edit & publish while she really knows how to write, and most of the first draft was me just scrambling to keep up with her. She did all of that while drilling in the Reserves, moving across the country, and starting their family.

Ditto.

Heh heh heh - Sent my Nephew your book. Navy retired after 20. The only effect seems to be he backed out of an intense contractor offer and took a layed back teaching job. Still in the greater DC orbit though. Keep up the good work. :greetings10:
Thanks for spreading the word, UncleMick, and my best to your nephew! It looks like he understands-- taking a job like that near DC is practically cutting back to 25% throttle.

Hey, you DID retire early and no one can ever take that away from you as long as you live! Much aloha.
Thanks, Koolau, and it still feels a little odd to shift from "Here's what we're doing..." to "Here's what we did." Yet the trend is clear.

Well, it seems you are still 'working' but doing what you like. I saw you in the FI Chataqua video and laughed as you are correct, you've been doing that FI stuff longer than almost all of the panel members.

As for welcome back - well, I guess so. I know you are a lurker here and at Bogleheads.

As for irony from the poster, well, we've all been there at times, especially as we get older and have added a few more loops around the block :)

But, welcome back and thanks for the down-brief on your COAs for the next few years. ;-)
Thank you, Deserat! Hopefully new posters will see this thread and decide to contribute to whatever part clicks with their interests.

I visit every week on here, Bogleheads, and MrMoneyMustache forums to check for my name and the "military" keyword. Daily, though, I get much more engagement from military Facebook groups and subReddits.

How about strategic nuclear submarine warfare? USA vs Russia vs China?

Sub vs sub, high value land targets, safe havens, Tom Clancy type detail.

I'll kindle buy it - :)
I like the Tom Clancy thing, too.
Well, I won't say "Never", but I enjoy writing non-fiction much more than fiction.

We submariners don't discuss the operations which may have been thoroughly described in the book "Blind Man's Bluff", but we're all in there. However everyone can enjoy the unclassified lifestyle stories in the Facebook group "Poopie Suits & Cowboy Boots" along with the books "The Silent Service Speaks", “Sub Tales – Stories That Seldom Surface”, and "Sub Tales Vol II." The authors give all of their royalties to a scholarship fund for submarine families.

For fictionalized submarine literature I'd check out sub vets like Rick Campbell and Michael DiMercurio. (I overlapped with them at USNA, and I'm pretty sure they pulled some of their plots from the mission reports they wrote during their time in uniform.) Joe Buff was never in the military, let alone the submarine force, but his novels are incredibly thorough and realistic.

Most people have forgotten that Ned Beach wrote several more books (both fiction and non-fiction) after "Run Silent, Run Deep." He published as Edward L. Beach.

Last edited:
20 months later, here’s a life update: “Whatever happened to Nords?!?”

I’ve had some questions about finding posts that are linked from E-R.org to The-Military-Guide.

A couple of months ago, Three Creeks Media finished consolidating their purchase of The-Military-Guide and TheMilitaryWallet from Ryan Guina. My 250+ posts about military personal finance are now part of TheMilitaryWallet, and most of the links from here will end up there via a 301 redirect.

Ryan’s a good friend. He started TheMilitaryWallet waaay back in 2007 and he’s still on their payroll for a few more years (at eight hours per week) of earnout. During the consolidation he and I updated & combined a few of our overlapping posts. His content is at least as accurate & comprehensive as mine, and we’re both happy to answer more questions. The Three Creeks Media journalists are award-winning professionals (one of them is an Army vet and now a Public Affairs Officer in the Navy Reserve) and I’m happy to see the site in their hands.

My other 250 posts about lifestyle or about my family’s personal finances are back on my free WordPress blog. That was shelved in 2012 but it’s now live again under the new domain name of MilitaryFinancialIndependence. It’s still sportin’ its original TwentyTen theme and I need to fix a bunch of old widgets, but the content is good. I’ve also paid WordPress to get rid of their ads so it should be a more ad-free experience than The-Military-Guide.

For you hardcore Web users who want to see the original post linked from here before all of these changes, you can search the Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive. Copy the old link’s full URL from the E-R.org post into the search box at https://archive.org/web/. The calendar will highlight the most recent crawls of that post from the Archive’s bots, and you’ll be able to see how it looked before the sale.

I drop by E-R.org every week to check for the “Nords” and “military” keywords, or you can send me a PM. Three Creeks and I have agreed that I’ll keep all of The Military Guide’s social media accounts, so you’ll still see those updates and you can contact me there as well as through here.

As we E-R.org members agreed here over a decade ago, I continue to donate all of my writing & speaking revenue to Wounded Warrior Project and Fisher House Foundation. Three Creeks Media also made a pair of very generous donations to both charities. Since 2011, those of you who helped write The Military Guide have directed over $30K to help military families.

Personally, as of 1 June 2022, I’ve been retired from active duty for 20 years. The latest post on MilitaryFinancialIndependence answers over 20 questions about that from some of this forum’s members and other readers. It’s 6000+ words, so I’ve formatted it to make it easier to skim through the questions. Most of that will someday be folded into my third book about life during financial independence.

Some of those questions discuss the 4% Safe Withdrawal Rate and other personal finance concerns. However most of them are about mindset and attitude. The more I learn about the money, the more I learn that it’s not about the money.

Last but not least, I’m still working on the updated edition of The Military Guide. I’ve contacted some of you (you’ve all responded, thank you!) for updates on your original material (from 2005-09!) and I’ll add that into the book. Most of the book is evergreen and that won’t change, although I’ll add more material about the military’s Blended Retirement System and I’ll update some of the numbers. The biggest part of the revision will be adding an audiobook edition… just as soon as I stop writing and start talking into my microphone.

I have no deadlines for these projects. Today my spouse and I are still on the Mainland on slow travel Day #49. In April my daughter and I started our travel in Cary NC with a new financial conference. (MilMoneyCon!) Then we all spent three weeks in San Diego with our daughter and son-in-law chasing after our toddler granddaughter. We’ve had long family conversations about their Navy careers, their CoastFI, and their plans to return to Hawaii. It’s all good, and a post for another time.

Today through a series of weird coincidences, my spouse and I are housesitting an elderly Border Collie in Santa Barbara through 17 July. This new challenge is way out of our comfort zone but the dog has trained us well and we’re having fun. The SB surf sucks this time of year, and the water temperature is in the low 60s, but I have a 2-3mm full wetsuit and I’m borrowing a friend’s stand-up paddleboard. Best of all, we’re only an hour’s flight away from San Diego if our daughter wants grandparenting help during our son-in-law’s underway time.

We’ll be back on Oahu in late July or possibly early August. As we’re catching up on the house and yardwork, I’ll get back to the writing & recording.

Welcome back. Always good to hear from you

Congratulations on your retirement from active duty, Nords! :dance: :D

Last night I was thinking about you, and wondering if you were gone from the forum for good. So maybe you are a little bit clairvoyant, since you posted this morning.

What fun that you got to see your DD, DSIL, and granddaughter recently and that you are still surfing! You never seem to grow older like the rest of us. :D

Good to hear an update and am looking forward to the updated version of the Military Guide and will definitely get a copy for my younger son. A month before my 50th anniversary of my own commissioning in the US Air Force (June 1971), I had the honor of administering the oath of office to my son as an Army officer (May 2021). He's currently on active duty at Fort Hood, TX.

Dear Nords, welcome back. Sorry about the SBA surf. From my apartment window I am looking out at Surfer's Point in Ventura. You might want to try it I have a spotting scope on my balcony trained on it. .

I’d missed that you and your wife had become grandparents, or even had a son-in-law. Congratulations!

Dear Nords, welcome back. Sorry about the SBA surf. From my apartment window I am looking out at Surfer's Point in Ventura. You might want to try it I have a spotting scope on my balcony trained on it. .
Thanks! I’m keeping an eye on the surf forecasts for Jalama, Rincon, and Ventura… but I’ll paddle out a SUP around here here for a faster workout without catching waves.

This is a very nice place to live but… it’s not Hawaii.

I’d missed that you and your wife had become grandparents, or even had a son-in-law. Congratulations!
I post most of those updates (with granddaughter photos) on my Facebook profile. (It’s all public, everyone is welcome to stalk it.) As everyone says, we should’ve had the grandkid first!

Carol & K.J. both commissioned in 2014 in the Navy’s Surface Warfare community. They met a few months later during a school on cryptographic keying material… romance apparently blossomed during all those late nights of studying the classified curriculum in the training building.

They married in April 2016 and were co-located in Norfolk. Carol left active duty a minute after her five-year obligation and just finished her three years in the Reserves. She’s now working part-time as a financial paraplanner (20 hours/week remote) for a fee-only advice-only firm.

K.J. is still on active duty. He transferred to the Navy’s cyber warfare community (Information Professional) and has his BS & MS degrees in computer science. They’re in San Diego through 2023 but he has a Hawaii plan and they’ll get to Oahu by 2024, either on active duty or in the Reserves.

They’ve had a high savings rate since 2014 and they’ve just reached CoastFI. He has skillz and will always be doing something with sysadmin and network security. She enjoys paraplanning and is starting to surpass me in our knowledge of most aspects of military personal finance.

Arya was born in January 2020… she’s the daughter we warned our daughter about. At 29 months she’s off the growth charts (like both of her parents were) and she has So. Many. Words. The four-year-olds at her childcare center (and JJ of Cocomelon) have already taught her the alphabet, her numbers, her colors, and her shapes. Her t-shirt in this photo (my favorite) says “WARNING: I break things.” Her other favorite t-shirt says “I try to be good!”

Attachments

• A89F221C-31EA-4061-B19A-9C71E7425C01.jpg
    A89F221C-31EA-4061-B19A-9C71E7425C01.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom