Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #21
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Absolutely and a lot of widows and widowers are taken advantage of by friends or family while they are still in the vulnerable stage .

I bet family members taking advantage of other family is many times bigger than con artists.

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
If it happens to a woman, she's been "conned" by an evil crook.

If it happens to a man, he's an old fool who let some young babe take advantage of him.

But either way, the man is guilty. It's part of our culture.
A woman is conned by an evil crook.
A man is conned by a gold-digger. Gold-digger = evil crook.
Our culture has a specific name for that particular type of female crook.

toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I know a person whose elderly father married a gold digger. By accident they found out she had talked him into changing his will leaving everything to her. And if she died first, everything went to HER children. They convinced him to divorce her, but the entire marriage cost him 1/2 his assets.
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I know a person whose elderly father married a gold digger. By accident they found out she had talked him into changing his will leaving everything to her. And if she died first, everything went to HER children. They convinced him to divorce her, but the entire marriage cost him 1/2 his assets.
(apologies for a long post... I had to vent a little)

After my mother passed away, my elderly father was left extremely vulnerable. Since my siblings and I were all grown and spread across the country, it was difficult to help. Of course, immediately following mom's death, we each begged dad to move close to one of us... but he wasn't willing to do so. So when a widow (close to his age) stormed into his life, he was sucked in. They were engaged within 6 months of my mother's funeral and married a few months after that.

Everyone was shocked and worried... but what could we do? My dad, for his part, established a prenup and laid out all of his estate and financial wishes before the wedding. He even called a meeting with his estate attorney and we were all informed of his plans. All was good, fairly allocated and communicated.

Within two years... the prenup was thrown out... the will was changed... a new estate attorney was found... and my father's wife (along with her son, an estate lawyer himself) systematically ingratiated and enriched their family's position.

Whenever my siblings and I asked for an "estate planning update"... my father's wife, understandably and vehemently, blocked our attempts. Finally, we convinced my father to do so and discovered the extent of her manipulations. Still... these were his "wishes" (albeit coerced). What could we do other than ask for transparency? My thought was... "turn on the light and the rats may stop nibbling."

In his final days, frail and weak, my father (knowing his wife was out of the room) apologized for the changes to his estate. He hinted that he was bullied by her family, but asked that we not fight over his final plans. So we didn't... even when we found out that she withdrew a huge amount from his portfolio during the last year of his life.

I'll never understand people like my dad's wife (she really was a horrible woman)... and find that my own ability to trust people is diminished greatly.

Like the woman in the news article, though, I feel both sorrow and disappointment for my father. He should have seen through the woman crashing into his life, ultimately I think he did. His penance for not doing so earlier, however, was to be nagged and bullied to his grave by a miserable troll of a woman.
Seeking Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Reminds me of a former neighbor who liked 'bad boys'. She was working her way up in the insurance world when she met the man of her dreams. He was in jail for domestic abuse, but, of course, he was innocent. They were engaged within a week. Within a month of his getting out of jail, he blew through her savings, maxed out her credit cards and caused her to lose her job (for company theft of services - he was using her company cell phone for long distance charges). He then wrapped her car around a tree and was busted for possession of cocaine. They arrested him at a motel, where he was with another woman.

She asked me for money to help with his defense. I said no. Thus ended the friendship.
Yea.... I had a friend who also got scammed... but not quite as bad as this one....

But, we went out to dinner the day before she was being evicted from her house for not paying rent...

Now, this guy did not have a job... was sleeping with anothe woman who had a kid with him... stole from her, had her pick up drugs for him, etc. etc. etc... I said 'he lied to you, he cheated on you and he stole from you, why would you want to be with him'.... her response... 'because we had sex 5 times yesterday'.... WOW...

This gal also stopped seeing her family because her parents and siblings would not let her bring the guy over... it took her another two years to figure it out... I only hear about her now because her brother is my best friend...

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote