Join Early Retirement Today

Asian food
Old 01-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Asian food

I've wanted to try Pad Thai for some time and forgot there's a Thai restaurant in the next town. I bought a box of it from Trader Joe's a few years ago but I didn't really think too much of it. So yesterday I finally went to the restaurant.

I was underwhelmed initially. I did not care for it at 1st as there is an underlying strong flavor I don't know or like but then as I ate more I really started to enjoy it. I think the egg and noodle combination was very satisfying! This was Vegetable Pad Thai. I could eat it again but I probably won't get it again unless I stumble upon a different restaurant. I suspect that flavor may be a spice used in a lot of Thai food. No idea what it was.

Since I never had Egg Foo Young I suspect that I'd like it as that combination of rice and eggs would have that same satisfying aspect. I'm going to try Vegetable Egg Foo Young this weekend. I love Chinese food but for some reason never tried this dish.

I had Japanese twice and detested it both times. I'll never ever eat that again period. Such over powering pungent flavors that were actually disgusting, may have been the sauce and I know I don't care for sea weed.

Vietnamese I don't like. I used to work with 2 guys from Vietnam and they were very nice. One made what he called Vietnamese Ravioli and they were excellent. They took me out a few times to a local Vietnamese restaurant in the city where we worked and said it was the best in an area where there were quite a few. I was polite and told them it was good and I liked it but it was not that good, I really disliked it. I'd never eat Vietnamese again either.

I mention all this cuz I sort of expected to have the same feeling about Thai. So far it's a bit better than Vietnamese, I could eat the Pad Thai again but nothing is worse than Japanese to me. I eat all kinds of foreign cuisines and love new foods but Japanese and Vietnamese I really don't like.

The verdict is out on Thai but I think I see where this may be headed! We'll see.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #2

Pad Thai uses fish sauce, this is probably what you don't like. You can ask them to reduce the amount used or remove it. We used "Mama" brand before we started making this from scratch. Here's a link to it on Amazon (you can get it at an Asian market for cheaper)

30 Pcks Mama Pad Thai Instant Noodles: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Egg Foo Young is an American dish. It's really just an omelet with bean sprouts and other veggies and meat with gravy.

For Japanese food, have you tried tempura and teriyaki? There's no seaweed and it's closer to American style foods. What dish did you try?

For Vietnamese food, I'd bet you'd like Pho noodle soup. You can get thin strips of beef in a big bowl of noodles in a good broth.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #3

Wow!
Personally, I'm just the opposite. I have rarely met an Asian dish I didn't really enjoy.

Since you didn't mention Korean cuisine, I think you should try some kimchi.

World's Healthiest Foods: Kimchi (Korea) - Digestive Health - Health.com

braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #4

I find that Pad Thai varies a lot from place to place - more than most dishes.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Wow!
Personally, I'm just the opposite.

+1
Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Different people like different kinds of food. Nothing unusual about that.

I eat a lot of different things. Of course, if it involves an exotic meat, I would have to know a bit more about it. But if it's just chicken, pork, beef, lamb, fish, etc..., there's no problem. Dishes that I like, I can eat a lot of. Things that I do not like, just a little.

And then, there are people who would not touch an entire food group; they would not eat veggie, or fish, etc... My son even gags if he smells shrimp, or even watches us eating shrimp. I guess it would be like me watching somebody gulping down, excuse me, dog poop.

And then, there are different ways a dish can be prepared. We were once invited to dinner by my wife's friend. This couple was of Italian descent, and they prepared a lasagna that they were proud of. It was made with 3 different cheeses, and I was sure the cheese was the best money could buy. I had a tough time finishing my portion for politeness. It was too rich, too cheesy for my taste.

Here's how I make my lasagna. It's filled more with bolognese meat sauce than the cheese. And I use mozzarella cheese in a more moderate portion, and it is stirred into the bechamel sauce used for filling and topping. My children always gobble it up.

And talk about my finicky son, whose eating habit often makes me mad, he would not eat shrimp, but can eat fried fish fillet and crab. And the other day, I was serving brussel sprouts roasted in bacon fat and he gobbled it up. This took me as a surprise, as I do not serve that often. He looked back at me and said "Why, it's just like broccoli". Of course, he always eats tons of broccoli, same as we do!

And don't get me started on my daughter's eating habits. It raises my blood pressure.

PS. Talk about kimchi, I like that as a condiment with Korean style BBQ short-rib on rice. Have not had that for a while, as it is high in sodium. Else, would not mind having that more often. Just a kind of pickle, really.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am Thai, so I love Thai food. Quality of Thai food definitely varies with where you're at. The only place I have found with great Thai food is Southern CA. Pretty consistent there. Other areas not so much. We do have something called Pad See Ew that may suit your palate better. I think the taste is less overwhelming, but also depends on the restaurant.
darly2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Pad Thai uses fish sauce, this is probably what you don't like. .....

Egg Foo Young is an American dish. It's really just an omelet with bean sprouts and other veggies and meat with gravy.

For Japanese food, have you tried tempura and teriyaki? There's no seaweed and it's closer to American style foods. What dish did you try?

For Vietnamese food, I'd bet you'd like Pho noodle soup. You can get thin strips of beef in a big bowl of noodles in a good broth.

Being a vegetarian I would not like fish sauce in a dish that is vegetable only. I asked about this, no meat of any kind, but I can hear "oh fish sauce that's not meat"! Yeah right! It did not taste fishy tho, I can't describe it just odd.

Egg Foo Young did sound more American than Chinese but I'd probably like it.

The Japanese food, both times it was a broccoli dish with a dark sauce, it's a toss up which was worse that dish or the Kimchi, see below. Tempura yes I had that and it was good so maybe there is one thing. Teriyaki was something my mother made with meat when I was a kid. It wasn't bad but being a vegetarian pass. Maybe there is a vegetable dish?

Thin strips of beef nah I'll pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Wow!

Since you didn't mention Korean cuisine, I think you should try some kimchi.
OMG! I knew a guy who was in Korea and talked about the "Kimchi cabs" the taxi drivers had it in the cab and it stunk, everywhere he went all he could smell was Kimchi. He made it sound like the worst thing on the planet. Being a wide eater back then I tried it and was convinced he greatly understated the toxic nature of Kimchi! Vile would be a compliment but I suppose there are many variations and some may be ok, I'm not looking for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
I find that Pad Thai varies a lot from place to place - more than most dishes.
That's interesting. I find Chinese dishes that I always get to be fairly consistent from place to place.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I've wanted to try Pad Thai for some time and forgot there's a Thai restaurant in the next town. I bought a box of it from Trader Joe's a few years ago but I didn't really think too much of it. So yesterday I finally went to the restaurant.

I was underwhelmed initially. I did not care for it at 1st as there is an underlying strong flavor I don't know or like but then as I ate more I really started to enjoy it. I think the egg and noodle combination was very satisfying! This was Vegetable Pad Thai. I could eat it again but I probably won't get it again unless I stumble upon a different restaurant. I suspect that flavor may be a spice used in a lot of Thai food. No idea what it was.

Since I never had Egg Foo Young I suspect that I'd like it as that combination of rice and eggs would have that same satisfying aspect. I'm going to try Vegetable Egg Foo Young this weekend. I love Chinese food but for some reason never tried this dish.

I had Japanese twice and detested it both times. I'll never ever eat that again period. Such over powering pungent flavors that were actually disgusting, may have been the sauce and I know I don't care for sea weed.

Vietnamese I don't like. I used to work with 2 guys from Vietnam and they were very nice. One made what he called Vietnamese Ravioli and they were excellent. They took me out a few times to a local Vietnamese restaurant in the city where we worked and said it was the best in an area where there were quite a few. I was polite and told them it was good and I liked it but it was not that good, I really disliked it. I'd never eat Vietnamese again either.

I mention all this cuz I sort of expected to have the same feeling about Thai. So far it's a bit better than Vietnamese, I could eat the Pad Thai again but nothing is worse than Japanese to me. I eat all kinds of foreign cuisines and love new foods but Japanese and Vietnamese I really don't like.

The verdict is out on Thai but I think I see where this may be headed! We'll see.
Oh you poor thing, you've really had to suffer!

Don't worry - I'm out there eating your share of all the Asian food.

Had Thai yesterday - awesome! I adore Thai food and don't get to eat it very often. Had Vietnamese already twice last week. I enjoy Japanese food fairly often - and almost always with seaweed on the side. I'm always delighted to find a good Chinese restaurant. So many of them are so bad, but if you find a good one it's wonderful.

Not big on Korean - that's the only one I don't go looking for. It's just too BBQ oriented for me.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Not big on Korean - that's the only one I don't go looking for. It's just too BBQ oriented for me.
See, a bit of kimchi on the side, and all will be well.

On the other hand, I cannot handle seaweed. No, no can do!

And about Pad Thai, I like it. Also the spicy soup Tom Yum Gai, and the version with shrimp. Yummy!
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a local Thai restaurant that is superb. My weakness is for red curry salmon. All the Pad Thai that I have had was too sweet for my tastes. Spiciness and savory is what I crave.

Peanut sauce, galanga, ginger, coconut milk, red peppers, Thai basil, lime leaves, and cilantro are some of the exotic flavors you may encounter.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Pad Thai uses fish sauce, this is probably what you don't like. You can ask them to reduce the amount used or remove it. )

We must live on different planets.......I've never met Pad Thai I didn't like.....
and I'm sensitive to (and don't like) fish sauce. Can probably detect 1 ppm of fish sauce too, I think.

I saw a documentary once on the making of fish sauce which reinforced my "love" of it.......... Fish sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maybe I've only had the short fermentation (cheaper?) types?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I can't eat spicy food so it's rather limiting. But I like Asian food in general.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Being a vegetarian I would not like fish sauce in a dish that is vegetable only. I asked about this, no meat of any kind, but I can hear "oh fish sauce that's not meat"! Yeah right! It did not taste fishy tho, I can't describe it just odd.
Maybe it's Tamarind sauce? It's a souring agent that's also used to make ketchup, Worcestershire and bbq sauces.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
We must live on different planets.......I've never met Pad Thai I didn't like.....
and I'm sensitive to (and don't like) fish sauce. Can probably detect 1 ppm of fish sauce too, I think.

I saw a documentary once on the making of fish sauce which reinforced my "love" of it.......... Fish sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maybe I've only had the short fermentation (cheaper?) types?
I don't have any issues with fish sauce at all, we make this at home quite a bit. I was just trying to isolate what the OP finds offensive in pad thai. I'm wondering if you're really that sensitive to detecting it though, most recipes I've ever seen call for 2 Tbsp to 1/3 C of fish sauce in them. Unless they're intentionally trying to substitute removing it from the recipe.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #16

I had relatively very little exposure to Asian food until college when I discovered I enjoyed Hunan/Schezuan chinese food. Recently I've found a good Thai restaurant and one of my ER goals is to sample every single dish on their menu. Some I've liked better than others, but it's a great experience and an ER goal I can get an early start on, no matter when I get around to ER. Asian food in general, I've found I enjoy very much. Maybe it's good I don't know what's in a lot of the dishes.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
...Maybe it's good I don't know what's in a lot of the dishes.
Mr B has a 1-line joke he tells whenever he opens his fortune cookie.

"That wasn't chicken"

I love egg foo yung, regardless of its country of origin. I've even made it here at home. My favorite is shrimp, 2nd fave is pork. I still order egg foo yung when Mr B
cooks orders takeout.
I dabbled around with Thai cooking years ago, with some degree of success. I like food medium spicy, so I went easy on those cute little ferocious Thai peppers.
I've perfected my homemade pork fried rice recipe and technique to match the fabulous taste of the dish Mr B was used to in MA Chinese restaurants, but unfortunately not found locally. I make wicked pork spareribs, using the grocery store bought Ah-So sauce that makes them so good.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #18

As a matter of principle, I make it a point to try new foods many times before I write it off. New flavors take a while to appreciate. My DW has always disliked fish, but trying many different types, and trying fish in slight ways to slowly introduce herself to the flavors has let her build a number of fish based recipes that she enjoys.

"It was a brave man wot first ate oysters"
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #19

The attached study discusses how NY Jews began to eat Chinese food vs. other ethnic foods. I think it applies to Jews from other parts of the country but it is a study done in NY. While it could be interesting to all people, Jewish people might find it most interesting. It is on the long side but easy to read.

http://dragon.soc.qc.cuny.edu/Staff/...SAFE-TREYF.pdf
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #20

I've bicycled in Thailand a couple of times, and the food is one of the great delights there. Many places in SE Asia have "night markets" where many different food vendors have stalls where you can see the food being prepared and order whatever looks interesting. I also wander into covered food markets where in addition to stalls selling fresh produce, fish, meat, etc., there are stalls selling prepared food. I love trying different foods and also like spicy food, so it's lots of fun. I honestly can't recall a single dish I didn't like in Thailand. I'm lucky that there are a few fairly authentic Thai restaurants near me.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote