Attacked by a goose

Now there's a gaggle!

I had a safe bike ride home, but here's what I found in my back yard

geese.jpg

That family will return to your neighborhood next year.

One approach is to watch for nests and disturb them. My in-laws, who lived by a lake in Oregon, would put cooking oil on eggs in a nest. The birds wouldn't lay a new bunch because they didn't know their eggs wouldn't hatch. That didn't get rid of the birds short term but it gave little incentive for them to come back next year.

the Eagles in my neighborhood have been putting on a show recently

Hmm, I thought they were just doing rookie minicamps.

Funny they have a pro sports team called The Ducks but nobody wants to be The Geese.

In fact, I dont think any college or pro team uses the goose. Strange for such a fearsome fowl. The turkey would be very appropriate for many teams though.

Ganecocks? Check. Beavers? Check. Orange Men (WTF?)? Check. Frogs? Check. Owls? Check. Vandals (WTF?!?)? Check.

No Geese.

Funny they have a pro sports team called The Ducks but nobody wants to be The Geese.

In fact, I dont think any college or pro team uses the goose. Strange for such a fearsome fowl. The turkey would be very appropriate for many teams though.

Ganecocks? Check. Beavers? Check. Orange Men (WTF?)? Check. Frogs? Check. Owls? Check. Vandals (WTF?!?)? Check.

No Geese.

Banana Slugs

Yep, there are banana slugs. And of course I meant "gamecocks". I thought it was ballcocks, but I was mistaken... ;)

No Geese.

Sagehens

We had 6-8 "attack" geese at the farm, the females would pinch you, but Uno, the grand male one would let us carry him around everywhere. He'd come looking for you and talk until you picked him up.

The geese once killed a dog as CFB described--it was a feral dog that attacked them and they swam out into the pond, luring him out after them. They drowned him (we guessed, just found the body). They never messed with our dogs, who gave them wide berth!

Lots of border collies are used as goose dogs in parks and golf courses. It is a great job for these high-drive dogs and serves a good purpose.

Geese make great burglar alarms--no one can sneak up on a farm that has geese!

RS

It sounds like you need your fowl weather gear when riding through goose country. I wonder if they make a goose taser?

2soon

I jog most days in the country and go past geese and ducks every day. Never had an issue with them, but last month I was kamikazi attacked by a grouse (like a pheasant). This thing launched up out of a ditch about 25 feet away and flew directly at me. Although I was startled and surprised by this non typical behaviour, I ducked and watched the bird as it flew another 80 feet and directly into the side of a house. Not into the window, right into the siding.

The man of the house came out and looked right at me (I was the only one around for a mile) probably thinking that I threw a rock. Then he looked down and saw the dead bird. All he said was, "I guess I know what's for supper" and waved as I carried on.

At least it wasn't a mountian lion. There is a positive side to everything.

Back
Top Bottom