Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Geese can be a scourge in the PNW. They congregate in grassy areas in parks leaving huge quantities of droppings and denying use to all other creatures.
There's a park near me that allows the gees around a certain part of the lake, but not around the walkways, buildings, other part of the lake. How? The have a full-time goose dog. This guy has trained his dog to chase the gees back to their assigned area. The dog is there every day, and the city pays this guy quite a bit of money for the service. It would be a really good job for somebody that loves animals.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So maybe this is how the game duck duck goose came about. Evil overlord geese attacked children. While the docile ducks played nicely. The evil goose is the chaser while the ducks flee for safety...

Sometimes my mediocre genius impresses myself.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
So maybe this is how the game duck duck goose came about. Evil overlord geese attacked children. While the docile ducks played nicely. The evil goose is the chaser while the ducks flee for safety...
I'm not sure that ducks can't be corrupted. We have taken to naming them (Guinevere is the one who knocks on the door for bread crumbs) to tell the players apart. There is a group of three or four white geese with a much smaller, mostly black duck that travels as a "gang" trying to act bad. The duck acts just like a goose so we named him after a South Park character, Token Black, AKA Token Williams.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Geese who linger long in a lake pollute that too.

Humm... the Eagles in my neighborhood have been putting on a show recently. Maybe that is why the geese pass us by.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Salem Goose Crossing:

When a gang (gaggle) like this gets on the bus they get to go where ever they want.

Salem Oregon Daily Photo: Geese Crossing
Old 05-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #26

Now there's a gaggle!

I had a safe bike ride home, but here's what I found in my back yard

Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

That family will return to your neighborhood next year.

One approach is to watch for nests and disturb them. My in-laws, who lived by a lake in Oregon, would put cooking oil on eggs in a nest. The birds wouldn't lay a new bunch because they didn't know their eggs wouldn't hatch. That didn't get rid of the birds short term but it gave little incentive for them to come back next year.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
the Eagles in my neighborhood have been putting on a show recently
Hmm, I thought they were just doing rookie minicamps.

Funny they have a pro sports team called The Ducks but nobody wants to be The Geese.

In fact, I dont think any college or pro team uses the goose. Strange for such a fearsome fowl. The turkey would be very appropriate for many teams though.

Ganecocks? Check. Beavers? Check. Orange Men (WTF?)? Check. Frogs? Check. Owls? Check. Vandals (WTF?!?)? Check.

No Geese.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Ganecocks?
Old 05-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

Funny they have a pro sports team called The Ducks but nobody wants to be The Geese.

In fact, I dont think any college or pro team uses the goose. Strange for such a fearsome fowl. The turkey would be very appropriate for many teams though.

Ganecocks? Check. Beavers? Check. Orange Men (WTF?)? Check. Frogs? Check. Owls? Check. Vandals (WTF?!?)? Check.

No Geese.
Banana Slugs
Old 05-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Yep, there are banana slugs. And of course I meant "gamecocks". I thought it was ballcocks, but I was mistaken...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

No Geese.
Sagehens
Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #33

We had 6-8 "attack" geese at the farm, the females would pinch you, but Uno, the grand male one would let us carry him around everywhere. He'd come looking for you and talk until you picked him up.

The geese once killed a dog as CFB described--it was a feral dog that attacked them and they swam out into the pond, luring him out after them. They drowned him (we guessed, just found the body). They never messed with our dogs, who gave them wide berth!

Lots of border collies are used as goose dogs in parks and golf courses. It is a great job for these high-drive dogs and serves a good purpose.

Geese make great burglar alarms--no one can sneak up on a farm that has geese!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

RS

It sounds like you need your fowl weather gear when riding through goose country. I wonder if they make a goose taser?

2soon
Old 05-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Geese make great burglar alarms--no one can sneak up on a farm that has geese!
Peacocks work well too, without the mean streak.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Peacocks work well too, without the mean streak.
But it is the mean streak that sends the burglars away.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I jog most days in the country and go past geese and ducks every day. Never had an issue with them, but last month I was kamikazi attacked by a grouse (like a pheasant). This thing launched up out of a ditch about 25 feet away and flew directly at me. Although I was startled and surprised by this non typical behaviour, I ducked and watched the bird as it flew another 80 feet and directly into the side of a house. Not into the window, right into the siding.

The man of the house came out and looked right at me (I was the only one around for a mile) probably thinking that I threw a rock. Then he looked down and saw the dead bird. All he said was, "I guess I know what's for supper" and waved as I carried on.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #38

At least it wasn't a mountian lion. There is a positive side to everything.