Baseball 2016

Not looking too good for the Dodgers tonight. Down 5-0 bottom of the 5th, and the Cubs are beating Kershaw like an old rug.

Not looking too good for the Dodgers tonight. Down 5-0 bottom of the 5th, and the Cubs are beating Kershaw like an old rug.

They are getting a lot of wood on his slider (when it's over) and really smacking his fastball. They need to get him out of the game or it's too late. Go Cubbies!

Well they did it. That was a fun game to watch. On to the WS, go Cubs.

Well they did it. That was a fun game to watch. On to the WS, go Cubs.

Cubs are going to the big dance!

Out of habit, I was still sweating bullets in the 8th inning, despite a 5-0 lead.

Brain cramp, I meant Steve Goodman

Alias "Chicago Shorty."

His "Go Cubs Go" tune is really popular these days! But I also like "A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request" which you can find easily on YouTube.

We lost a good one when Steve died so young. He would have loved tonight's victory and celebration!

Last edited:
As a Red Sox fan I don't follow Baseball as closely as I did before they won their first World series in 86 years back in 2004.

But what a great job Theo Epstein has done. He was the mastermind of the Red Sox win in 2004 after an 86 year drought and if the Cubs win he would have orchestrated the end of the longest drought in baseball history.

Also what a great job Tito Francona has done with the Indians with their top two starting pitchers out with injuries he only lost one game in the post season. And if he wins he would have managed the end of the Indians drought in 67 years after managing the Red Sox's wins in 2004 and 2007.

I bet the Red Sox ownership is not too happy this morning seeing the two guys they drove out of town compete to break long droughts to win the World series.

I have not watched a World series' game since the Red Sox won in 2013 but I'll be watching this one and I will be happy no matter who wins....

Go Cubs....Go Indians

Last edited:
Go Cubs! Should be a great series.

+1.

If the Cubs don't go down 0-2 in the first 2 games, I like their chances. Plus, possibly having Schwarber as DH can really help. That is, if his timing isn't all off.

Last edited:
What a game last night. Masterful pitching job!

This will be a great series to watch, even though I am a die-hard Yankee fan (I know!:blush:) (How could anybody be an Astro's fan?):LOL:

Go Cubs....Go Indians

Having been a life long Red Sox fan and endured most of the 86 year drought. I know how Cubs fans feel. I have had many friends and family never to have lived to see the Red Sox win the WS. Even celebrity fans like the author Stephen King, who at one time was going to put on his tombstone something along the lines of “Never saw the Red Sox win it all and neither will you.”

That being said, I have always rooted for the American League team in the World Series even when the Yankee’s were in it. I remember when the American league always lost All Star games and were always put down by national sports media for not being good enough. Knowing how Cubs fans feel and how Cleveland sports fans feel. I am neutral in this WS. However, I hope the WS lasts 7 games with the last game going into extra innings.

Being an American League fan, its hard not to root for the Indians, but I am delighted to see the Cubs in the WS. They had an awesome season and it would be good for Chi town and the long over due Cubs to go all the way.

(How could anybody be an Astro's fan?):LOL:

People that have great self discipline, extreme patience, don't embarrass easily (that's the hard one) and believe anything is possible.

People that have great self discipline, extreme patience, don't embarrass easily (that's the hard one) and believe anything is possible.

There is much to be said about home town loyalty.

Watching the World Series

For fair-weather fans like me, without cable sports stations, I'm taking a tip I think I got last year on this forum. I signed up at Sling TV.

https://www.sling.com/

You can do a free 7 day trial, but I opted for the 3 month $25/month plan which includes a ROKU streaming stick (which gets good reviews, and sells for ~ $49 on Amazon). Our old ROKU box (XD) doesn't support some of the new channels and options, so I went for it.

So out to buy some Cracker Jacks (already have plenty of beer, though I guess I should have an Old Style?) and (hopefully) enjoy a W for the Cubbies tonight. We were lucky enough to be out to dinner with friends last Sat, so we just moved to the bar to watch the Cubs clinch it against the Dodgers with that double play. Fun to be among a bunch of fans when it happened.

-ERD50

Last edited:
For fair-weather fans like me, without cable sports stations, I'm taking a tip I think I got last year on this forum. I signed up at Sling TV.

https://www.sling.com/

You can do a free 7 day trial, but I opted for the 3 month $25/month plan which includes a ROKU streaming stick (which gets good reviews, and sells for ~ $49 on Amazon). Our old ROKU box (XD) doesn't support some of the new channels and options, so I went for it.

So out to buy some Cracker Jacks (already have plenty of beer, though I guess I should have an Old Style?) and (hopefully) enjoy a W for the Cubbies tonight. We were lucky enough to be out to dinner with friends last Sat, so we just moved to the bar to watch the Cubs clinch it against the Dodgers with that double play. Fun to be among a bunch of fans when it happened.

-ERD50

Game is not on a sports network. It is on FOX Broadcast Network. All games. Games can also be streamed live on Fox Sports Go.

The world series is on good old regular free OTA on Fox.

Game is not on a sports network. It is on FOX Broadcast Network. All games. Games can also be streamed live on Fox Sports Go.

DOH! So I guess it is on regular broadcast FOX (32.1 around Chicago). Geez, I was searching, and there were all these convoluted ways that people talked about how to watch the game.

I guess they never heard of 'rabbit ears'. :facepalm:

Oh well, I planned on trying Sling anyhow, DW really wants a couple of those channels, and I don't want to get cable. I can cut back to the $20/month plan later, it still has what she wants (Food Network mainly). She'll probably get bored with it after a while, and I can drop it.

Go Cubbies!

-ERD50

DOH! So I guess it is on regular broadcast FOX (32.1 around Chicago). Geez, I was searching, and there were all these convoluted ways that people talked about how to watch the game.

I guess they never heard of 'rabbit ears'. :facepalm:

Oh well, I planned on trying Sling anyhow, DW really wants a couple of those channels, and I don't want to get cable. I can cut back to the $20/month plan later, it still has what she wants (Food Network mainly). She'll probably get bored with it after a while, and I can drop it.

Go Cubbies!

-ERD50

Our daughter has Sling for boyfriend to watch sports. For $20/month, it's a good deal.

So were the playoff games not on OTA in Chicago area? Maybe that's what got me thinking along these lines.

But no big deal, I think I'll like the new ROKU anyhow, and DW will like the Food Network.

-ERD50

So were the playoff games not on OTA in Chicago area? Maybe that's what got me thinking along these lines.

But no big deal, I think I'll like the new ROKU anyhow, and DW will like the Food Network.

-ERD50

Correct. Last round was on Fox Sports 1 (FS1) first round was a combo of FS1 and MLB Network.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom