Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not looking too good for the Dodgers tonight. Down 5-0 bottom of the 5th, and the Cubs are beating Kershaw like an old rug.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Not looking too good for the Dodgers tonight. Down 5-0 bottom of the 5th, and the Cubs are beating Kershaw like an old rug.
They are getting a lot of wood on his slider (when it's over) and really smacking his fastball. They need to get him out of the game or it's too late. Go Cubbies!

Old 10-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well they did it. That was a fun game to watch. On to the WS, go Cubs.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:30 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Arlo and Harry must be leading a song fest.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Well they did it. That was a fun game to watch. On to the WS, go Cubs.
Cubs are going to the big dance!

Out of habit, I was still sweating bullets in the 8th inning, despite a 5-0 lead.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Great! an "old school" world series!
Old 10-22-2016, 10:34 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
Arlo and Harry must be leading a song fest.
Arlo?
Old 10-22-2016, 11:00 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Brain cramp, I meant Steve Goodman
Old 10-22-2016, 11:36 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
Brain cramp, I meant Steve Goodman
Alias "Chicago Shorty."

His "Go Cubs Go" tune is really popular these days! But I also like "A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request" which you can find easily on YouTube.

We lost a good one when Steve died so young. He would have loved tonight's victory and celebration!
Old 10-23-2016, 03:14 AM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Go Cubs! Should be a great series.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #111

As a Red Sox fan I don't follow Baseball as closely as I did before they won their first World series in 86 years back in 2004.

But what a great job Theo Epstein has done. He was the mastermind of the Red Sox win in 2004 after an 86 year drought and if the Cubs win he would have orchestrated the end of the longest drought in baseball history.

Also what a great job Tito Francona has done with the Indians with their top two starting pitchers out with injuries he only lost one game in the post season. And if he wins he would have managed the end of the Indians drought in 67 years after managing the Red Sox's wins in 2004 and 2007.

I bet the Red Sox ownership is not too happy this morning seeing the two guys they drove out of town compete to break long droughts to win the World series.

I have not watched a World series' game since the Red Sox won in 2013 but I'll be watching this one and I will be happy no matter who wins....

Go Cubs....Go Indians
Corporateburnout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Go Cubs! Should be a great series.
+1.

If the Cubs don't go down 0-2 in the first 2 games, I like their chances. Plus, possibly having Schwarber as DH can really help. That is, if his timing isn't all off.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

What a game last night. Masterful pitching job!

This will be a great series to watch, even though I am a die-hard Yankee fan (I know!) (How could anybody be an Astro's fan?)
Old 10-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Go Cubs....Go Indians
Having been a life long Red Sox fan and endured most of the 86 year drought. I know how Cubs fans feel. I have had many friends and family never to have lived to see the Red Sox win the WS. Even celebrity fans like the author Stephen King, who at one time was going to put on his tombstone something along the lines of “Never saw the Red Sox win it all and neither will you.”

That being said, I have always rooted for the American League team in the World Series even when the Yankee’s were in it. I remember when the American league always lost All Star games and were always put down by national sports media for not being good enough. Knowing how Cubs fans feel and how Cleveland sports fans feel. I am neutral in this WS. However, I hope the WS lasts 7 games with the last game going into extra innings.
nubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Being an American League fan, its hard not to root for the Indians, but I am delighted to see the Cubs in the WS. They had an awesome season and it would be good for Chi town and the long over due Cubs to go all the way.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
(How could anybody be an Astro's fan?)
People that have great self discipline, extreme patience, don't embarrass easily (that's the hard one) and believe anything is possible.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:27 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
People that have great self discipline, extreme patience, don't embarrass easily (that's the hard one) and believe anything is possible.
There is much to be said about home town loyalty.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Watching the World Series

For fair-weather fans like me, without cable sports stations, I'm taking a tip I think I got last year on this forum. I signed up at Sling TV.

https://www.sling.com/

You can do a free 7 day trial, but I opted for the 3 month $25/month plan which includes a ROKU streaming stick (which gets good reviews, and sells for ~ $49 on Amazon). Our old ROKU box (XD) doesn't support some of the new channels and options, so I went for it.

So out to buy some Cracker Jacks (already have plenty of beer, though I guess I should have an Old Style?) and (hopefully) enjoy a W for the Cubbies tonight. We were lucky enough to be out to dinner with friends last Sat, so we just moved to the bar to watch the Cubs clinch it against the Dodgers with that double play. Fun to be among a bunch of fans when it happened.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:32 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
For fair-weather fans like me, without cable sports stations, I'm taking a tip I think I got last year on this forum. I signed up at Sling TV.

https://www.sling.com/

You can do a free 7 day trial, but I opted for the 3 month $25/month plan which includes a ROKU streaming stick (which gets good reviews, and sells for ~ $49 on Amazon). Our old ROKU box (XD) doesn't support some of the new channels and options, so I went for it.

So out to buy some Cracker Jacks (already have plenty of beer, though I guess I should have an Old Style?) and (hopefully) enjoy a W for the Cubbies tonight. We were lucky enough to be out to dinner with friends last Sat, so we just moved to the bar to watch the Cubs clinch it against the Dodgers with that double play. Fun to be among a bunch of fans when it happened.

-ERD50
Game is not on a sports network. It is on FOX Broadcast Network. All games. Games can also be streamed live on Fox Sports Go.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Game is not on a sports network. It is on FOX Broadcast Network. All games. Games can also be streamed live on Fox Sports Go.
oops. Guess you wanted to see Saturdays game.