Beauty and brains must be incompatible

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Okay, it's just Miss Teen America, but shouldn't anyone over the age of sixteen (especially those who are participating in pageants where they have to speak and who are college bound) be able to be a little more articulate than this:

What is She Talking About? - Video

When asked about the statistic that 20% of people in the US can't find the US on the map, she at first attempts to answer the question by saying they need more maps, but then the answer rambles all over the place and becomes totally bizarre!

I'm thinking this girl just might fall in the 20% of U.S. Americans who can't locate the US on a world map.

Her pageant coach must be really proud of her.

I'm not sure she could find South [-]Africa[/-] Carolina or anything else on a map

That was too painful to watch.

Wife's sister had her then late teen sister-in-law in the car with her one day in the mid-80's when a song called "Nineteen" came on the radio. The title referenced the reported average age of an infantryman in the Vietnam War.

Wow. That is a cool song. That Vietnam sounds like a cool place. Is it a nightclub?

Nooooo. It's a country where we fought a war that ended about ten years ago.

No, I think it must be a club.

No, really. Vietnam is a country.

Are you sure?

Do they teach history or geography in your school?

:eek:
OMG....I am at a loss for words.
What exactly is being taught in the high schools today?

oh that's just sad.

my brother has a friend who i always had a crush on. gorgeous guy. one of the best looking guys i ever met. smart, nice, handsome, you'd think he had it made. but he has had internal problems all his life and now he has no kidneys left. life. go figure.

I hope she just had a mind fade. It has gotta be tough looking into those bright lights and crowd and not clutching when you are really just a kid with a pretty face. :confused:

I hope she just had a mind fade. It has gotta be tough looking into those bright lights and crowd and not clutching when you are really just a kid with a pretty face. :confused:

I said some pretty stupid things when I was a teen.

Heck, I said some pretty stupid things during my Ph.D. orals. Standing in front of a bunch of people who are going to judge what you say, with your whole entire career on the line can shake a person up. Really. My orals were 6.5 hours of h*ll.

Then again, there's stupid and then there's stupid. I haven't listened to the video yet.

Last edited:
The scary part is that these are the type people whom we will be counting on to carry the ball as we quit working. Do you think that ours can hold their own against those from say India ? And what does that foretell ?

The other scary thing is that people like her can vote.

I said some pretty stupid things when I was a teen.

Heck, I said some pretty stupid things during my Ph.D. orals.

I sure would hate to have some of my responses under pressure on video and on the internet.

I really wouldn't judge from one video clip. It is likely that she just got flustered, she might actually be very bright... hard to tell.

But she is kinda cute... easy to tell!

-ERD50

Cut her some slack. She is 16 and clutched. By the time she got to South Africa she probably forgot what the question was. As to the 20% who can't find us on a map, I would bet 20% of any random country couldn't find their hometown on their own country's map.

i was a cheerleader in high school (no jokes please) and one of the girls on the team didn't know we have 50 states...my 4 year old knows that!

oh, i forgot to add, she's a model (was in high school too) and on tv sometimes in commercials...

I'm very proud to discover that she is Miss Teen South Carolina, and a recent graduate from one of our fine public high schools in the midstate. Well, it is either beauty pageants or hog-calling up there--looks like she picked the wrong path.

Yeah, SC is full of cracker rednecks, but that isn't news. :) And she was still third runner up, so that will snare her a nice young man who will later sell his vote as a state congressman for a bbq dinner.

Proud South Carolinian,
Sarah

As to the 20% who can't find us on a map, I would bet 20% of any random country couldn't find their hometown on their own country's map.

This is probably true. May be even worse in some under developed countries.

But maybe if we're lucky, they won't be able to find their polling place on a map. :D

Actually the scarier thing is as beauty contest winner she is held up as some type of role model.

I'm very proud to discover that she is Miss Teen South Carolina, and a recent graduate from one of our fine public high schools in the midstate. Well, it is either beauty pageants or hog-calling up there--looks like she picked the wrong path.

Yeah, SC is full of cracker rednecks, but that isn't news. :) And she was still third runner up, so that will snare her a nice young man who will later sell his vote as a state congressman for a bbq dinner.

Proud South Carolinian,
Sarah

LOL, that was really funny Sarah. Still South Carolina survived starting the Civil War, compared to that Miss Teen South Carolina's You Tube video isn't so bad. :D

Another funny moment from the pageant was when Miss Teen New Jersey was subsequently asked "What skill do teens in America most lack today and how can it be taught?"

Her answer was "public speaking" (no joke -- you can look up the video of the entire question session for the five finalists on You Tube). Incredibly clever -- cruel, but incredibly clever. Some people in the audience started to applaud when she said it.

I saw this clip on MSNBC (or the like) while at the gym this morning, and chuckled along with the two announcers who couldn't get over this young woman's response. I couldn't help but think "What an airhead?" Does that phrase even exist anymore? She didn't seem overly nervous, just dumb. Hope I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom