Beer Question

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
I don't drink beer on a regular basis (though I'm not opposed to such).

A friend is going to visit and I asked him what beer he would prefer and he replied "Yuengling". That is not sold in Ohio.

I want recommendations for a good dark beer that is sold in Ohio.

I found this on epionions that might help:

Sierra Nevada Porter, Sam Adams Honey Porter, and Rogue Mocha Porter.

If you happen to live in Ohio or in a state nearby, I recommend trying Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, brewed by the Great Lakes Brewing Company in Cleveland, Ohio. This is a dense, full- bodied beer, and its rich and satisfying.

I've tried the Sam Adams before and it's pretty good, can't comment on the rest of these beers.

Last edited:

A friend is going to visit and I asked him what beer he would prefer and he replied "Yuengling". That is not sold in Ohio.

I'm kind of surprised Yuengling is not sold there?
It is the oldest brewery in the US.
If I remember right it is located in Penn.
The black and tan is what you are after, maybe call around if you have not? I buy it all the time in the grocery stores in Alabama.
Anyway, if all else fails the recommendations above, look and sound great. There are lots of great dark beers around. Probably most that appear dark chocolate brown will do.
Hope that helps a little,
Steve
http://www.yuengling.com/history.htm

Oh, as below, if its Lager he/she is after (yuengling) even Sams Club in my area sells it at a very good price.
If you are unable to decide what to get. I sincerely hope you and your friend can go out, buy whatever pleases this person and that you guys/gals can have a great time reminiscing.

If he just said "Yuengling" he was probably referring to their lager. It is a slightly hoppy light beer (not dark). Somebody who liked that would probably like Corona or even Trader Joes Simpler Times brews (lager or pilsner). He would probably also like Sierra Nevada pale ale although it is hoppier.

Wait a minute. "Yuengling" is not 'a beer', it is the name of the brewery. They have seven beers on their site, only two of which are 'dark'.

I'd suggest you find out which "Yuengling" he likes, and then it should be easy to find something comparable. If he's looking for their lager, a dark might not fit the bill.

-ERD50

Wait a minute. "Yuengling" is not 'a beer', it is the name of the brewery. They have seven beers on their site, only two of which are 'dark'.

I'd suggest you find out which "Yuengling" he likes, and then it should be easy to find something comparable. If he's looking for their lager, a dark might not fit the bill.

-ERD50

He said a dark would be good.

Is there a Trader Joe's in your area? They have really good beer.

OK, we have it narrowed down - 'dark' & "Yuengling". Progress.

Here's a good list of Porters, if it is the Porter he likes:

Serious Beer: American Porters | Serious Eats

I've had the Edmunds Fitzgerald and Otter Creek Stovepipe, really good. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any Porter from any 'micro-brewer' in the US. Can't say I've ever had a bad one, if you like the style. Both of these are probably a bit more 'assertive' than a Yuengling Porter.

If it's the Black & Tan he's after, here's a list:

Black & Tan - BeerAdvocate

anything that your local store carries with a decent rating there should be fine also.

If you have some left over, and find you don't care for dark beer so much they can make great stews and breads.

edit : Also - the line between Porters and Stouts is a bit blurry and somewhat subjective (unless you want to dig into BJCP guidelines, I'm certain you don't), so there is always Guinness Stout. I prefer the cans with the 'widget'.

-ERD50

A good German beer sold in Ohio is Warsteiner. The dark version is called Warsteiner Dunkle.

:LOL:
OK, we have it narrowed down - 'dark' & "Yuengling". Progress.

If you have some left over, and find you don't care for dark beer so much they can make great stews and breads.

-ERD50

Or, just package and send to the poor retiree in Alabama.
I love all the Porter's that I've tasted! :D
Steve
PS. Hope all goes well
PSS. You may have noticed, I will gladly take any donations to the "me" fund.
They are not tax deductible but I promise you will be doing good for your fellow man kind.:LOL:

As a beer expert, I can help with this one.

You're right that Yuengling is not available in Ohio, but that's not a problem. The most popular beer they make is considered an "amber lager" and is only slightly darker than the average beer.

I guarantee you will make your friend happy by getting some fresh Ohio beer. One of the best regional breweries in the country is Great Lakes in Cleveland. Their beer is available all over the state.

You really won't go wrong with any of them, but since "dark" is the keyword here, I'll suggest their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. Very dark, with a nice roast, chocolate flavor.

If you want something closer to the Yuengling amber lager, then go for their Eliot Ness Amber Lager. Like the porter, it's not too bitter for most people, and has a good level of flavor.

Try either (or both) of these, and you absolutely can't go wrong.

Samuel Adams Boston Lager (brewed in Cincinnati) is also a good choice, just in case you can't find Great Lakes.

Yuengling beers are very popular here in PA...well, of course, as they are brewed here. Out east somewhere I think. They are often an "on tap" choice in local watering holes. I am such a dunce in the beer department that when we moved back to PA in the early 90's, I was at a party and someone suggested a Yuengling to me as a possible tipple, and I replied "Oh, a Chinese beer...I'll try it!". You would have thought I had just emerged from a UFO by the reaction.:LOL:

Samuel Adams Boston Lager (brewed in Cincinnati) is also a good choice, just in case you can't find Great Lakes.

Just finished a Yuengling black and tan and starting on a Samuel Adams Lager now. Both are great beers.
Oh No, I'll probably be posting crazy messages that may offend. Get ready, they are on the way.
Just Kidding at this time in space but who knows? Once again, I hope everyone has helped you, and you (Khan) are able to pick up something nice for your friend.
Steve

I'm sure the Med Man will show up soon.
He'll straighten us all out too. ;)
Steve
Mmmm....hmmm...gotta listen to dah Med Man.....:cool:

btw Khan....I'm not too fond of dark beers (I think it's because I'm afraid I'll look like I've got a brown moustache after a few sips :LOL:) but I do enjoy Samuel Adams Lager from time to time.

And importantly, a beer expert from Ohio!

The most popular beer they make is considered an "amber lager" and is only slightly darker than the average beer. ...

You really won't go wrong with any of them, but since "dark" is the keyword here, I'll suggest their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. Very dark, with a nice roast, chocolate flavor.

If you want something closer to the Yuengling amber lager, then go for their Eliot Ness Amber Lager.

Good point - to 'non-beer-geeks' an amber might be considered 'dark', since it is darker than a CAP (Classic American Pilsner for the non-beer-geeks). Geez, the least the friend could have done is given an SRM range for the beer he likes (more beer-geek talk) ;) Kahn, get one of each, you can't go wrong.

Good to hear another plus for the Edmund Fitzgerald. I've seen Great Lakes Eliot Ness amber (hey, isn't that a Chicago thing?), but never tried it. I'll pick one up next time out, I think Trader Joe's usually has it too.

BTW, enjoying my TJ's 2009 Vintage ale ( brewed by Unibroue) right now - this will go good with the steaks I'm throwing on the grill.

[-]excuse[/-] blame any typos on the TJ 2009 ....

-ERD50

Last edited:
I expect German import Spaten is sold in Ohio, as I think their distribution is all over the US. I love their Optimator which is a double bock.

Yuengling beers are very popular here in PA...well, of course, as they are brewed here. Out east somewhere I think. They are often an "on tap" choice in local watering holes. I am such a dunce in the beer department that when we moved back to PA in the early 90's, I was at a party and someone suggested a Yuengling to me as a possible tipple, and I replied "Oh, a Chinese beer...I'll try it!". You would have thought I had just emerged from a UFO by the reaction.:LOL:

I live in NW PA.

This reminds me of taking my uncle - a missionary in The Philippines - out to lunch a couple of weeks ago. It was a Friday, and being deeply Catholic he didn't want to eat any meat. Took him to a local "seat yourself" local place. Their special? Yuengling-dipped batter fried fish sandwich.

He first thought it was prepared a la French, but then he thought about it and decided it was Chinese instead! I didn't have time to explain before he ordered, so I ended up telling him it was fish with batter dipped in Chinese beer!

He really liked the sandwich.

The local Martin's grocery store has a rack of singles and will let you pick out any 6, for the price of the most expensive one. I've tried a few that way, but now I've found I like Mich Amber Bock for a great price/taste combo so I stick with that or Killians. We have a couple of microbrews in our little country that are fun to go to or get a growler from (with a 3rd on the way) plus Starr Hill from Charlottesville is on tap at a lot of places. It's making its way further around the country now, since A-B is distributing it.

Khan, I wouldn't sweat the beer choice too much, most beer drinkers like to try new regional beers, like what Braumeister and others recommended.

Back
Top Bottom