Being a lazy, procrastinating slob can lead to higher efficiency.

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I may not really be a slob, but I am definitely a lazy procrastinator. My wife would say I'm a slob. I like to think of it as 'efficient'.

She's been gone for 6 days and would have had a stroke if she knew I hadn't done any laundry, dishes, or general cleaning until day 6. It took me all of 2 hours to really whip this place into shape - did 4 loads of laundry, lots of dishes, helped the kids clean up toys, took out trash, cleaned bathroom and kitchen, cut grass and did leaves etc

If she had it her way, the toys wouldve been picked up and put back perfectly every 2 hours,the trash emptied preemptively, vacuumed every day etc etc.

I think my method is much more efficient. Less starting and stopping and moving from one thing to the next

Oh well...what I think doesnt matter starting tomorrow....:angel:

But you had a lot of motivation going into this.
Cause you knew where her foot would be if you didn't get it done on time. :D
Steve

That's my modus operandi re: home chores. This weekend I did several loads of laundry and organized 6 weeks' worth of recycling. My pet hate is document filing, which is this week's task. The problem is, if the garden is overgrown or the dishes are piling up in the kitchen sink, that may also lead to stress.

That's my modus operandi re: home chores. This weekend I did several loads of laundry and organized 6 weeks' worth of recycling. My pet hate is document filing, which is this week's task. The problem is, if the garden is overgrown or the dishes are piling up in the kitchen sink, that may also lead to stress.

yeah i thought about that...and i guess my stress level and the point at which i decide to complete a tedious task are very much correlated. everyone has their 'breaking point' or threshold...and mine is obviously much later than my wife's. but, at some point the piling dishes or overflowing trash DOES bother me...soi do it out of necessity...not out of habit or pro-active tendencies

She's been gone for 6 days and would have had a stroke if she knew I hadn't done any laundry, dishes, or general cleaning until day 6.
How long have you been in this relationship?!?

She knows. She just chooses to ignore it and let you have your fun while thinking that you're getting away with something.

By an amazing and totally unrelated coincidence, my spouse will also be returning tomorrow after a six-day absence. And if she wants to take over the home/yard maintenance to show me how it really should be done, well then by gosh I'm man enough to stand back and let her prove me wrong...

I have been making this efficiency argument for years with various woman in my life, mom, sister, girlfriends. For some reason they never seem to buy it and for some reason I am still single. :confused:

DW and I have had that discussion too. While my style of housekeeping is better than "kick the dirt around until it gets lost" she does seem to have x-ray vision for dust bunnies and such.

Ms. Grasshopper always gets me to whitewash the fence (huck Finn). Every time she asks me to help her with a project, I end up doing it all. I constantly get "you don;t like it my way, do it yourself". You would think after 30 years I would learn.

Ms. Grasshopper always gets me to whitewash the fence (huck Finn). Every time she asks me to help her with a project, I end up doing it all. I constantly get "you don;t like it my way, do it yourself". You would think after 30 years I would learn.

grasshopper........I'm sure you know the theoretical solution.....simply adjust relative time constants of brain and mouth..... :) ............though I must admit, easier said than done.

Wait, all that stuff you described doing is why I have a wife.

;)

If she had it her way, the toys wouldve been picked up and put back perfectly every 2 hours,the trash emptied preemptively, vacuumed every day etc etc.

Sounds like a great wife.........:)

that's funny...same here. she just starts little projects, inevitably goofs something up, then I take over. Last month it was painting a feature wall...30 seconds into her attempt I took over in an effort to save my carpets and ceiling from stray paint. ugg

Another one with absent DW for the past week. My hobbies had my undivided attention. Household efficiency at its max. Successfully avoided dirtying more than one plate, fork and knife, plus used one cup for coffee, each hand washed then dried on the counter. One skillet used for meal prep.

Dishwasher still empty, bed unmade, dirty clothes in the [-]hamper[/-] washer, will hit go button tomorrow. DW returns Wednesday. The only fixed routine was imposed by the cat doing his sing song and dance at his clockwork like mealtimes.
Well you gotta give a little.

Last edited:
Am I the only one here that keeps home neat and clean even when DW is away?

Yes, but don't worry there are programs to correct your condition.:)

Men are better than women at housework, because they are bigger and stronger than we are.

Amethyst

You sound like me when I play bachelor. However, this year I tried to keep up on the dishes and such. I found I liked it better. Who knew?

I always did the same thing as the fed when DH travelled -- waiting until the last day to dung out the joint. Then I got caught. I had left a sharp knife next to the sink to be washed. Unbeknownst to me DH's favorite kitty licked said knife and cut his tongue. He had a forked tongue for the rest of his life and was a very messy drinker.

DH apparently followed the same delay tactic for many years while I was traveling up to 3 weeks a month for MegaCorp. His system worked ok until the one time he had to make a quick unplanned trip to his sick father.

I knew something was up when I retrieved a VM from him as I got off my plane in which he apologized for what I was about to walk into...yikes! Amazing how messed up a house can get in a few days!

I think he learned a lesson...but come to think of it, he's not had any other emergency absences either.

Back
Top Bottom