Best Country Songs

I always liked this version...Joan Baez's version is done in a hippie/folk style, not country...

JOAN BAEZ ~ Man Of Constant Sorrow ~ - YouTube

No one is 100% positive about the origins of this song. The general belief is that "Man Of Constant Sorrow" is a traditional American folk song first recorded by Dick Burnett, a partially blind fiddler from Kentucky. The song was originally recorded by Burnett as "Farewell Song" printed in a Richard Burnett songbook in 1913.

Last edited:
Aw, gee! How far is that from something like Connie Francis in this top forties tune:

Who's Sorry Now? by Connie Francis (Lyrics) - YouTube

I understand and sympathize if you really don't like it. But I'd just hate for someone who loves music as much as you obviously do, to miss out on a whole genre possibly because of some preconceptions.
Thanks for posting this one. I think it is a cover of a generation earlier version, from the 20s. Anyway, I remember slow dancing to this in junior high. Oh man, I wish slow dancing were 1/10 as much fun now as it was then! Only thing better was Eartha Kitt's Santa Baby, Mickey and Sylvia's Love is Strange, or maybe Les and Mary, Vaya Con Dios.

Ha

Thanks for posting this one. I think it is a cover of a generation earlier version, from the 20s. Anyway, I remember slow dancing to this in junior high. Oh man, I wish slow dancing were 1/10 as much fun now as it was then! Only thing better was Eartha Kitt's Santa Baby, Mickey and Sylvia's Love is Strange, or maybe Les and Mary, Vaya Con Dios.

Ha

Mickey and Sylvia's "Love is Strange" came out in 1957, only one year before Connie Francis sang "Who's Sorry Now" in 1958. What great classics came out during those years. :)

I was just 9-10 years old in 1957-58, but knew every word of both these songs from listening to them on the radio.

The other two songs you mention apparently came out in 1953, but I knew them just as well. I'm not sure why, since I would have only been 5 when they came out. Maybe they were still popular.

Mickey and Sylvia's "Love is Strange" came out in 1957, only one year before Connie Francis sang "Who's Sorry Now" in 1958. What great classics came out during those years. :)

I was just 9-10 years old in 1957-58, but knew every word of both these songs from listening to them on the radio.

The other two songs you mention apparently came out in 1953, but I knew them just as well. I'm not sure why, since I would have only been 5 when they came out. Maybe they were still popular.
They both stayed popular for years- in fact Eartha Kitt's Santa Baby became a christmas classic. "Santa Baby, a 54 convertible too, light blue, I'll wait up for you, so hurry down the chimney tonight..."

Looking around your tube, I realize that I also know may songs from my parents' youths. Their parties often featured dancing and group singing, and I know plenty of songs from the 30s through the WW2 years and after. Know the words even. I even know old radio ads and jingles from my early childhood-"Duz Does Everything". I even know who is Deanna Durbin. :)

One cannot but be a child of his era, and mine was too hard to really spend much time listening to these old sentimental songs- but they really are very beautiful. And if I had a woman who could get into romance I could get there with her. And no, I am not talking about sex. Don't need sentiment for that.

Nat King Cole - Autumn Leaves (lyrics) - YouTube

Ha

Last edited:
I'm not much of a country pop fan, and I never knew what this word featured in the song meant until I saw this video on CMT at a local Legion. This song is cute and bouncy and unashamedly irreverent. Just my style. :D

Men of the forum, enjoy the show. :cool:

You go girls!

Trace Adkins - Honky Tonk Badonkadonk - YouTube

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom