Join Early Retirement Today

Best Exit?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best Exit?

With all of the gloom and doom talk about the economy, I think we need a cheery topic, so I got thinking about what is the best way to exit -- life? I mean, would you prefer to know when your end is nearly, or would you prefer to go out with bang but with no fear, no pain, but also no knowledge of when the end is near? I think it's a relevant topic because everyone on this board has worked hard for his money, so wouldn't being able to enjoy that money dictate that the preferred way to go out would be being able to know when you will go?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't want to know when but I've always thought I'd like to be able to walk on that last day.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Buns, maybe it's just me, but talking about my preferred way to die isn't what I'd consider a particularly cheery topic.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

sounds like you should set up a poll
Old 10-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I spent 30 years driving the DC Beltway, and I always worried about becoming a Beltway statistic.

I don't care how it happens, but I want it to be remarkable. Eaten by a shark, hit by a piece of the Hubble Telescope when it falls out of orbit, spontaneous combustion, living to be the oldest man alive, doesn't matter. I just want my friends to be sitting around for years afterwards, drinking and laughing, and saying "remember good ole Harley, wasn't that a trip what happened to him?"

That's my wish.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:15 PM   #6

Massive fatal coronary while having sex, or shall I say coming and going all at the same time.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The way I'd like to go? Fall asleep one night and never wake up. Worse ways to go IMO? long drawn out disease or plane crash...
Old 10-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Massive fatal coronary while having sex, or shall I say coming and going all at the same time.
A Full Nelson (Rockefeller).

What a lovely way to die, Honey oh Baby Mine...

Ha
Old 10-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
Administrator

Once I'm dead, what do I care? It won't matter.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I want to go like my grandfather, in my sleep, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!

Preferably after a nice meal full of bacony goodness.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I want to go like my grandfather, in my sleep, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!

Shame on you - sick, sick, sick; ROTFLMAO ;shame, sick;;sick;
Old 10-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #12

hanged, drawn & quartered.

i'm torn between producing a trance and entering the clear light of death or watching television brain dead at ground zero when the nukes begin to fall. i'll let you know.

interesting topic though. death certainly brings perspective.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Buns, you still around? Things will get better, you know, the market will recover.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #14

I'd like to die in bed at age 100, shot by a jealous husband.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I'd like to go like Steve Fossett did. Leave a mystery. Make 'em work to find the body. CSI, etc.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Buns, you still around? Things will get better, you know, the market will recover.
That's not what I'm worried about. My mom died when she was only 46 of a massive brain hemorrhage. It was probably not a bad way to die, but I'm thinking that all this LBYM stuff, I'd like to know roughly when I'm about to croak so that I can live it up and do everything LBeyondMY. I'd go travel, drive a nice sports car instead of my crappy van, and of course, visit Shangri-La every time I want to.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
That's not what I'm worried about. My mom died when she was only 46 of a massive brain hemorrhage. It was probably not a bad way to die, but I'm thinking that all this LBYM stuff, I'd like to know roughly when I'm about to croak so that I can live it up and do all the thing LBeyondMY. I'd go travel, drive a nice sports car instead of my crappy van, and of course, visit Shangri-La every time I want to.
My advice is to do some of these things now. You will enjoy them; if you were waiting for death maybe not so much.

Ha
Old 10-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
That's not what I'm worried about. My mom died when she was only 46 of a massive brain hemorrhage. It was probably not a bad way to die, but I'm thinking that all this LBYM stuff, I'd like to know roughly when I'm about to croak so that I can live it up and do everything LBeyondMY. I'd go travel, drive a nice sports car instead of my crappy van, and of course, visit Shangri-La every time I want to.

So are you nearing that age ? My brother died at 54 so when I was near 54 I had these thoughts . I do believe some people know when they are nearing death but at that point it's too late to change the verdict . Enjoy your life now tomorrow is tomorrow !
Old 10-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #19

inner peace

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #20

I wouldn't mind something quick and painless. I've also often thought that I'd like to be in control of my exit.

Burning and drowning on the top two ways I wouldn't want to go.