Who Are Your Friends?

I have few friends besides DW. The few are all people that I share a strong interest with.

I'm the same. I suspect if I'd have stayed in my little home town that I'd have close friends from my school days even though we don't have interests in common but I moved away for college and never went back. Through my working life I only wanted to spend my free time doing things I enjoyed so I only hung out with people who I could do those things with. That has carried on into retirement. I'm not the kind to socialize for the sake of socializing.

I have few friends besides DW. The few are all people that I share a strong interest with.

Good point about our DWs. I've known DW (as of this year) 70 years. She's been my friend that long and my best friend most of that time.

I am an introvert. I have very few friends, but lots of acquaintances. They are from all backgrounds.

When it comes to gaining friends I mostly do the introvert thing: Do my own thing until an extrovert happens to adopt me.

Good point about our DWs. I've known DW (as of this year) 70 years. She's been my friend that long and my best friend most of that time.

What an ideal relationship. :D Frank and I have known each other for almost eternity (a quarter century in our case), and he is my best friend, too. In fact, I think he is my only friend right now since I am such an introvert and haven't been working as hard as I should to develop other real life friendships.

Had an interesting conversation with a friend who's 8 years older than me. He said his recently deceased uncle told him to have younger friends so you won't outlive them and end up with no friends left. Guess I'm his younger friend. About half of my friends are younger.

Like many, I've had countless stages in my life that took me away from previous groupings of friends but I continuously make new friends. As a result, I have many friends who I have drifted away from just due to logistics of life from high school, college, various work/career situations, activities, young families when my kids were growing up, etc. When situation presents itself, I occasionally will make an effort to reconnect with an old 'forgotten' friend and it's always great to catch up.

As far as the OP question regarding how friends are made, it's usually through some sort of common theme that we meet and if a connection is made, a friendship is established. I retired a couple years ago but have many friends I see frequently ranging from a hiking group made up of retired co-workers, mountain biking/skiing/motor cycle riding buddies, the local rock band I've played in for the last 15 years, etc. More than enough to make my 'quiet time' just hanging out with DW and my dogs important!

What I enjoy about the friends I have is the variety. They come from different ethnic, geographical, religious and non-religious backgrounds. Some have a 9 figure net worth and live in mansions, some like in trailer parks and ghettos. Some pure urban, some pure country, and a range in between.

I get turned off from people who ask me how can I be friends with "those type of people". My friendships have caused me to respect folks of all backgrounds, despite what is fed to us by the media. I would not want anyone stereotyping me based on my physical appearance and beliefs, so I do not do that to others.

DH and I are extroverts and have many friends. We moved into a very nice CCRC about 7 months ago and our list of friends has exploded, it is so easy to meet people and make friends here. DH is having knee replacement surgery last week and he asked if he could give me a list of people to contact after the surgery to let them know how he is doing--list now has 3 family members and 34 friends!

Not alot of friends (outside family), but have kept a handful of close friends. Friendships are kept stronger with more frequent communication, energy, and time (together). That takes effort, and I do admit its easier not socializing. Have read quite a few articles on the importance of keeping social on human health.

We are members at Cypress Cove nudist resort in Poinciana, Fl. We find that our best friends are those there that we share this experience with, seems like it is so "natural" to just share with these folks. It's so hard to explain until you experience it.

We are members at Cypress Cove nudist resort in Poinciana, Fl. We find that our best friends are those there that we share this experience with, seems like it is so "natural" to just share with these folks. It's so hard to explain until you experience it.
This post is worthless without pictures! :)

Last edited:

I have played 2 Pickleball tournaments in nudist resorts near me. About two thirds played with clothes including me.
Took a few minutes to get used to it, but then it was just pickleball after that.

I'm gonna need a while lot more GLP-1 agonist injections before I pursue naturism...

^^^^
Sorry I mentioned it.:sick:

I have played 2 Pickleball tournaments in nudist resorts near me. About two thirds played with clothes including me.
Took a few minutes to get used to it, but then it was just pickleball after that.
I don't think I would have kept my mind on pickleball.

Maybe a rather broad generalization but 95% of people look better with their clothes on.

"Maybe a rather broad generalization but 95% of people look better with their clothes on." Not true in my experience, just the opposite in fact. And not too relevant, anyway. As I said, one has to experience it to believe the fact that after 5 min it seems normal to most folks.

Maybe a rather broad generalization but 95% of people look better with their clothes on.

Lol. I feel ya Frayne! I've been exposed to a couple nude beaches and stumbled upon the Garden of Eden down in Key West :facepalm:

And often wondered what the allure was to keep it all off and exposed. It is likely a sense of more freedom for some, just not my cup of tea. And I'm not into voyeurism either, so I don't last longer than a minute at those types of places.

I have some friends from school, former jobs, and one good friend from when we were 16 & 17 and I dated her brother. I have two good friends out of state with whom I still chat on the phone and text back and forth. I spent an hour on the phone yesterday with someone I worked with over 30 years ago. I have one good friend who is young enough to be my daughter.

I don't really consider socio-economics in choosing friends. Rather - it's more based upon - well - are they good people and - do I like them and do they like me.

Lol. I feel ya Frayne! I've been exposed to a couple nude beaches and stumbled upon the Garden of Eden down in Key West :facepalm:

And often wondered what the allure was to keep it all off and exposed. It is likely a sense of more freedom for some, just not my cup of tea. And I'm not into voyeurism either, so I don't last longer than a minute at those types of places.

The two most obvious allures are a more even sun tan and doing less laundry.

At my age, and in very good physical condition and also very fit, I don't even like to see myself in the nude, let alone anyone else.

The two most obvious allures are a more even sun tan and doing less laundry.

At my age, and in very good physical condition and also very fit, I don't even like to see myself in the nude, let alone anyone else.

So glad most folks feel that way or we would never be able to get in there, our winter paradise! Long waiting times for RV sites as it is!

Sorry, but the last thing I want to see is my friends without clothes. I'm sure it w*rks for you and YMMV.

Um, no one "stumbles upon" the Garden of Eden. It is on the third floor of a corner bar. If you are in Key West, at night, half lit, and walk up 2 flights of stairs, I think you wanted to check it out. Just saying:D

Back
Top Bottom