Best home 'weather station'

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Can you recommend a good quality home weather station that will give me wind speed and rainfall along with the normal readings like I get from my current Acurite? I see a wide range of models and prices available but could use some experienced reviews.

Not a weather geek, so I'm not looking for sophisticated stuff...maybe some basic data history that can be saved would be good.

Thx in advance.....

Not a "best" or even a "recommended", but timely for me... Bought this Sharper Image weather station, still in the box, at our local resale shop for $2 about two weeks ago.

Amazon.com : Sharper Image Wireless Internet Weather Station, Model# EC-WS115 : Digital Weather Station : Home & Kitchen

It works great and wirelessly updates every 4 hours. We have two weather stations near us... One about 1/4 mile away, and the other at the airport, about 2 miles from our house. Not sure where the signal comes from... I think AccuWeather.

That Davis model looks pretty nice, but a little bit out of my budget.

+1 for Davis. Mine has been working great for years. Only issue is debris in rain collector constantly.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I have a Davis weather station as well, love it. I've only had it a couple of years but had a couple of different Acu rite weather stations before the Davis. The Acu rite kept losing some of their functions and after replacing them a couple of times, I switched to the Davis. No problems with it at all.

That Davis station look very interesting, had never thought about getting one of these, but wouldn't mind that showing up under the Christmas tree.

Search for data logging software to go with your weather station. I had one that would track wind speed/direction/ temperature every minute and other sensors, like solar and rain, as they changed and checked every 15 minutes. After years, I could run charts and graphs to see my seasonal changes. A week of temp. changes and I could see cooling and heating trends, etc. It made the weather station a thousand times more useful.

Mine used a RS232 cable between the weather station's base and my desktop PC. I don't have it any more, lost in a house fire. Not even sure what brand it was. I'll try and see if I can recall.

Here is a link to data logging the referred-to weather station. Along with 3rd party software, you could upload to wunderground and have your own on-line weather station.
http://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instrum...Software/dp/B001AMKC14/ref=pd_bxgy_200_text_z

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom