Bicycle Accessories

I have a Garmin Edge 200 - basic computer. Tracks mileage, of course, speed, and saves the route you rode for downloading later. That's all I need from a bike computer - YMMV. I believe it's no longer made by Garmin because they upgraded it for a higher price, but you can still get it online for $65 GARMIN Edge 200 GPS Bicycle Computer IPX7 Waterproof-89.19 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

As I wrote in your other thread, I urge you to use lights even in daytime riding. I use the NiteRider Lumina headlight (flashing mode); can't remember model of my taillight, but in addition to it I also use the Serfas Thunderbolt, that attaches to rear frame as a second beacon to drivers approaching from the rear.

I ride an '82 Raleigh and typically ride with helmet, gloves, riding clothes (biking shorts and jersey), front and rear light (I never remove them), cheap sneakers, cell phone, wallet + some change and a water bottle.

I use to carry a pump, tire levers and a patch kit ... and some other tools, but haven't in years. Last breakdown was the original rear derailer in 2010 which required a full replacement. I never have carried spare derailers.

I lost interest in bike computers decades ago. I don't track my mileage and have been turned off by people I've known that track every foot they've ridden. I ride for exercise, see things, meet people and sometimes just to get somewhere.

I belong to a European (mostly British) bicycling forum and wanted to share a response to a post. The original poster discussed his desire to ride without padded shorts and creams. He commented how well it worked for him after his experimental 25 mile ride.

I think in our 'consumerism' many of us (including me) get caught up in the clothes for a sport. (However, you will not catch me wearing a Speedo which will mostly be for your benefit). In the case of cycling, it influences participation. Not only do feel they need to buy the bike but also an entire wardrobe is required. A second decision. Another investment.

I thought this reply from the British forum captured my point of view about the impact of dress on the growth of bicycling.

Response to original poster:

People see cyclists wearing high viz and helmets and gradually come to the conclusion that cycling must be very dangerous as you have to wear special safety equipment.

People see cyclists wearing special and generally ugly clothes and assume cycling must be terribly uncomfortable. I think it will help cycling spread to the non-enthusiasts if they see more cyclists dressing for their destination than their journey.

I wouldn't spend a day at a museum in cycling kit, and I don't want the palaver of bringing a change of clothes with me. So I happily cycle the 10 miles there (and later back home again) in jeans, without any ill effects (except roll up the right leg as my jeans are boot cut and my road bike has no guards, if I don't take the folder).

Edit: one ill-effect. My jeans wear out on the inner thigh.anted to share this post:

Take a $20 bill. If you slice your tire, you can put it between the tube and tire to make it rideable. Also good if you get hungry.

I think in our 'consumerism' many of us (including me) get caught up in the clothes for a sport. (However, you will not catch me wearing a Speedo which will mostly be for your benefit). In the case of cycling, it influences participation. Not only do feel they need to buy the bike but also an entire wardrobe is required. A second decision. Another investment.

I thought this reply from the British forum captured my point of view about the impact of dress on the growth of bicycling.

This reminds me of a scene I witnessed a few months ago. A number of bikers were riding through an intersection. They had on the those florescent brightly colored helmets, shirts, riding shorts, along with the biking goggles and other cycling clothing. A young child maybe about 5 commented to his parent "Look mom, a bunch of bug people on bikes!" Yes, he got it right - they looked like big bugs on bikes.

Take a $20 bill. If you slice your tire, you can put it between the tube and tire to make it rideable. Also good if you get hungry.

Take $21 dollars. A twenty in my tire is extreme. Fix the tire with the dollar, then have a nice lunch!

What do people think of paying a bike show to 'fit' the bike to you? They made a few adjustments to seat height when I bought my bike, but not much else. The shop has three levels of fitting - casual riders (like me), mountain bikers, and competitive road racers.

Any thoughts on how useful a fitting can be?

I'm speculating that, short of your bike being grossly mismatched for your physique, adjusting your seat and handlebar height are adequate for most. Certainly, competitive, for whom a few seconds matter, or long-distance cyclists might gain more than more casual rider.

Having said that, it's my understanding that measurements are made prior to choosing a bike, given that some of the measurement tools I've seen online suggest bike frame sizes.

IMG_0190.JPG

Comments in-line

1. Bike computer

I had one for years. It broke and I never replaced it b/c I discovered I spent so much time staring at the speed/miles/etc. that it distracted from enjoying the ride. Now I just turn on Strava on my iphone when I leave for the ride. At the end it tells me more than my bike computer ever did and i'm not distracted along the way.

2. Biking gloves

Leave the last inch exposed unless it very cold. Definitely yes on the gel pads and ensure they have good terry cloth on the top of the thumbs for whicking away sweat.

3. Lights - front and rear

I don't own these but at this point I would get battery powered LEDs.

4. Rear view mirror

I used a helmet clip on. Your handlebars may not be at the angle needed to see what you need to behind you. You can always tilt your head to point the mirror in the place.

Enjoy!:greetings10:

Last edited:
What do people think of paying a bike show to 'fit' the bike to you? They made a few adjustments to seat height when I bought my bike, but not much else. The shop has three levels of fitting - casual riders (like me), mountain bikers, and competitive road racers.

Any thoughts on how useful a fitting can be?
What does the shop charge for a custom fit for a casual rider? Are you uncomfortable with the current setup in a particular way?

Last edited:
1 - Bike computers are fun. They let you track your progress. My riding buddy that uses a Cateye, and also uses MapMyRide.
Mobile Cycling App, Bicycle GPS Tracking, Cycling Training Apps | MapMyRide
I personally use a cheap Schwinn computer. I've got somewhere around 11K miles on it with no problems. Very accurate.
https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-SW76357-4-12-Function-Computer/dp/B0089WYS54

+1 on that combination. I use a simple Cateye bike computer that provides easy-to-see info like speed and time duration (and maintains an ongoing odometer - 16,000+ miles at this point!). I also use MapMyRide+ on my iPhone - it lets me look at elevation and a map of my ride after the ride is done.

Back
Top Bottom