Binge Watching?

I don't binge watch, but I do binge record, lol. Some of the channels that I watch (HGTV, Discovery, etc.) often have marathon sessions of programs on holiday weekends. I'll use the opportunity to record 8 or 10 episodes of series in one day.

I don't watch much regular TV. Recently, I started watching Better Call Saul and decided to binge watch Breaking Bad from DVDs at our local library. I watched the entire series in about 2 weeks. Last year I did the same with Mad Men. Also when Amazon released Bosch and Alpha House, I watched the entire season for both in a couple of days.

One of the nice things about being retired is you can binge watch if you so desire. Binge watching is very intense, but it is a lot easier to follow the plots if you watch an entire season in 2 or 3 days.

Same here, binge watched Breaking Bad after receiving the DVDs for Christmas...

Actually, I think sometimes we just have other things to do. That said, I'm watching:

The Indian Doctor, a BBC mini-series
We started watching The Indian Doctor a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty good! Love the overall setting/premise, and the 60s recreation seems very well done.

[I knew the doctor's wife was a princess as soon as I saw that amazing sari she was wearing for a train ride!]

Binge watching is not a problem for me. I don't have the attention span any more...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Like the OP, I tend to stretch things out to savor them. One indirect way of judging how well I like a show is to note how infrequently I watch.

Me too. I don't like to rush through a good series. I like looking forward to watching more of it in the future.

I actually do something similar with good books. It always annoys me when I know I'm close to the end of a really good book - I'll often pace myself.

And books that are part of series, with them I'll intentionally wait a while to tackle the next one.

What's the hurry? I've got lots of time to fill...

We just got done "binge-watching" Orange is the New Black. Like someone else mentioned, we get DVDs from the library and only have one week to finish. We watched 10 episodes in 5 days. Perhaps binge-watching is more than 2 hours in a day. I like that we don't spend any money on the DVDs, so it's worth it to try and finish in a week. Anyway, we are now looking forward to the release of Season 2. We are still working so, have to fit it in.

About the only time I binge watch is when we go to a beach in Florida for a month or so. We ride bikes in the morning, lay about on the beach in the early PM, and then retire to the condo and stream 2-3 episodes whatever is current. We watched several seasons of Breaking Bad one year, and House of Cards another. At home I rarely watch TV during the day and often read through whatever DW has on at night.

Binge watching is not a problem for me. I don't have the attention span any more...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

That's me. I'm usually satisfied with 30 to 45 mins and prefer to continue another time.

I indulged in binge-watching all six seasons of "The Sopranos" on HBO Jan.-Feb. of 2014. I didn't think a show about mobsters would appeal to me, but I loved it. In fact I think it is the best series ever, and I resisted tuning in for a long time until I was faced with nothing appealing to watch among my hundreds of cable TV channels. I used to rush home from work, eager to find out what was going to happen next. My favorite episode was "The Pine Barrens".

If you have Amazon Prime, both seasons are available there and you could pace your viewing a little bit.
Thanks!

Amazon Prime is working much better for me now that I am using the Amazon Instant Video app on my iPad and then Airplay to send it to the TV (AppleTV).

Audrey, that's exactly what we do. Works like a champ! Too well, in fact, as it was what pushed me over the edge to get my student Amazon Prime subscription after the free trial ended!

Audrey, that's exactly what we do. Works like a champ! Too well, in fact, as it was what pushed me over the edge to get my student Amazon Prime subscription after the free trial ended!

I was checking out a YouTube I may soon inflict on the good people of e-r.org with my iTouch and was surprised to find a little icon that, when clicked, showed the Roku as a destination.

Everything was initiated on the Touch. Amazing - I will join the 21st century yet!

A few years ago, when the "Seinfeld" series DVD set came out, I ordered it and some days would watch 5 or 6 episodes in a day. But other days, I did not watch any. They are only about 23 minutes an episode so on certain days, I took a "Seinfeld" break frequently during the day. But rarely would I watch more than one in a setting.

We're hardly scratching the surface. For dedicated career watchers of British TV Mysteries... without any other genre... Here's the IMDB listing of the many different series... To be exact, the page lists sixty-nine different series.
IMDb: Best of British Mystery Series - a list by L P

Some of these series have as many as 100 episodes.

Bon appetit!:flowers:

And... if you have a movie or TV show that you'd like to watch on Roku or any other media player, go to this website, and enter the name. (CISI)
http://www.canistream.it/

A time saver, when you're not sure. It covers many of the 1700 Roku Channels, including Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube.

Last edited:
DH and I binge watched every episode of LOST in about 2 months. It was good watching it that way since it was such a complicated series.

I binge watched Breaking Bad (minus last season which I watched live) in about 3 weeks... Talk about weird dreams!

And I binge watched Walking Dead up to this season in about a month.

This was all before I discovered pickleball and a book series that I'm hooked on right now. I probably watch maybe 5 hours of TV total each week right now.

The only show I truly binge watched in one day was the Australian "Secrets and Lies" while wrapping Christmas gifts and putting up decorations last year. It was very good.

Shows I've watched in 2 hour segments almost daily over the course of weeks: the old Upstairs Downstairs, Breaking Bad, Happy Valley, The Fall, the French version of The Returned and Last Tango in Halifax. They are all very good and hard to stop watching.

DH and I binge watched every episode of LOST in about 2 months. It was good watching it that way since it was such a complicated series./QUOTE]

I binge watched LOST a few winters ago too and enjoyed it immensely. DH and I watched WEEDS in once a week sessions of 3-4 episodes a night. More recently we have done the same with Orange is the new Black and Game of Thrones. I tend to do this only in the winter as I haven't the time for, nor the interest in, sitting around like that in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom